3 Questions about Crowdfunding

Discussion in 'Commercial Games Discussion' started by VioletSpark, Jul 18, 2018.

1. VioletSpark

VioletSpark Launcher of a Thousand Ships Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    (I'm so sorry if this is in the wrong place. It's a question, but it's about crowdfunding, so . . .)
    I'm noticing that several times, people have posted about their projects, then removed everything after advice from the forum.
    So, I'd like to hear from experienced RPG Makers:

What sort of things are a "red flag" that the project isn't ready for this phase?

What sort of things do you look for to know if you're interested in funding a game?

What type of rewards do you like to see?

2. hiddenone

hiddenone Lurker Extraordinaire Moderator

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

I've moved this thread to Commercial RPG Maker Discussion. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

3. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Often the problem is that the game has come too early for funding. This shows up in a lot of ways that demonstrate that the developer doesn't yet have a clear idea of what the game is and what is required to achieve that vision.

My red flags include:
    Budgets which lack detail. e.g. $2K "for graphics". What graphics? That amount might get you your character art, (depends how many characters you have) but it won't get you a custom tile set. Which leads neatly into the next item.
    Unrealistic budgets. (Can be too high or too low. Both are problematic.)
    Lack of clear goals with some sort of critical path planning.
    Little/no clear evidence of basic competence. For example, placeholders graphics are fine, especially if the funding request includes an element for their replacement, but I want to see evidence of the ability to make well planned maps, interesting skills, perhaps see a battle video to show that off. If story is important, then well-rounded characters and at least the basic premise of the story.
    Things being described as 'features' which are really in most games already. Yes, I have seen "Save anywhere" described as a Feature.
    Above all, plenty of evidence that a lot of work has already gone into this. This demonstrates at least some commitment, perseverence, thought, planning etc. etc. When a game comes very early in its development, I have no basis to judge if the developer has the 'stickability' to keep at it once the money is provided. Of course games can still stop development even after a lot of work, but the more that's been done, the more confidence I would have that it will continue. And it absolutely has to be evidence based. It is no good the developer just telling me that they've been working on this for a year/2 years/whatever already - I'd like to see what that 2 years has produced. Otherwise that 2 years could have been spent just faffing around not getting much done.

If the developer can point to an already released game (free game is fine) that is very helpful. It shows that the developer has at least a reasonable grasp of the whole arc of the work. If the developer has never released any game at all, then I'm wary. How does this person know what's really involved? Can they do their balancing? What are they like on bug hunting? Completing a game requires a whole set of skills in addition to those of developing.

There are probably a lot more I could list, but I need to go off and get some sleep, so that will have to do for starters.

Conflictx3, Frogboy and VioletSpark like this.