Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
Other

Which one is your favorite? And why?
Let me know...

Any arguments will be considered valid...

Once this thread reaches 10 users (with posts) I will award a user here with 1 custom charset.

If it reaches 50 users, I will award one whith 1 custom charset and 1 modded tileset.
(limitations may apply... to pixel size...)

Attachments

• IMG-20200523-WA0010.jpg
    IMG-20200523-WA0010.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 1,977

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think the left one 32 bit and right 16 bit (less color), but I prefer 32 bit though which
has more graphic and you can go more ways on 32 bit than 16 bit.

16 bit is a bit more old school in my opinion, sometimes it can go nicely,
while 32 bit can give more details.

Ragen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
Other
Yes, @ShadowDragon you're right... on the left 32bits on the right 16

I just didn't want to go back to the sprites editor to fix it...

Choraß

Indie Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I mean In past it was a memory and expedient reason and of course less outlay to use 16 bit than 32 bit sprites/graphics.

I think the right Link sprite is even 8 bit and the left 16 bit.
Well now it's a design question, how you want to look it. More details costs more outlay.

I prefer the left sprite, because of more details and i just like the old JRPGs, in 16 bit pixel art style.

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Personally I prefer 32 as it has more detail and life to it for me. However this also depends a lot in the game it is in.

16 has a very nostalgic feel to it (then again my first game I ever played was pong so... Yeah lol) and that certainly has its place in some games.

But as someone who always looks for the best visual presentation of something I feel 32 packs the better punch.

That all said, that's totally me xD

Ragen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
Other
I think the right Link sprite is even 8 bit and the left 16 bit.
I believe you're right.... I focused on 16x16pix style and 32x32pix comparison... That I may have used the wrong terminology.

8, 16 and 32 bits may refer more to the processor and color pallet, than pixel size itself.

Ellie Jane

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (UK)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's all tied together - 8-bit consoles use smaller sprites because they only have 8-bits to store any data, not just colours. But yeah normally in pixel art it would refer to the colour pallet.

Ragen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
Other
Was checking out some arts, and really missed my old GBA and GBC...

Though I hated not to be able to play in the dark (GBC), it used to be so fun....:wub

ave36

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
32 all the way. My game is 2D but it is not retro and I attempt to make it as hi-res as possible.

BENI_MARU

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
It really comes down to context.
32-bits naturally offers more, but in turn there'd be "more work" in balancing the palette as well as having player expectation rising.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Yay! Someone did a playthrough of my game. :D

When you thought you'd be finished with the grid, and spend ~8-9 hours on an arrow. How is this more difficult to than player movement?

Still some bugs hiding in there, but it's nearly complete.

I'm having it strictly follow the path a user draws, because there will be booby trap and other similar mechanics where you want to avoid specific cells.
I feel like banging my head against a wall every time I want to find that post that shows all the plugin header codes. Then I think "next time I find it, I'm going to bookmark it". Then I think "wait a minute ... maybe I bookmarked it last time because it took me so long to find it". Check bookmarks, and there it is :)
... a few of my main characters standing around doing nothing lol. I mostly wanted to see them together on screen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nanduh