3D for 2D drawing. Need a help.

Square_art

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
I've been using photoshop and knowledge of shading and anatomy for drawing characters for about two years. It was time with lots of redrawing and come backs to the same pictures. It was also experience that improved my drawings when I had only imagination to look at.  

A sample of 2D character that I do

2poqxp2.jpg

I have several of such characters. It's not very hard to draw animation that requires character rotation if character has such clothes. But some of my characters have less clothes, and it's much harder to me to colour and lighting skin comparing to clothes. For example, I have female fighter who has short shorts. Her legs supposed to be a bit muscle, and I just can't imagine how to draw them when she rotates, when she throws a kick, etc., considering, we have the same sources and value of lighting. 

I have a wooden doll for drawing. But you know, it doesn't help to understand how to draw and shade muscles in my case  :)  So I came up with an idea to install 3D editor and to use 3D male and female models as perfect samples for drawing. I installed unity 3D and Blender two days ago. I started watching tutorials and learnt some basics already. But I just can't find a tutorial to understand the things that I'm looking for: 

All I need is to have "ready-to-use" 1 male  and 1 female characters and to be able to change their stances, having specified source of light. 

I learnt how to use lights. But I can't figure out how to change stances of models that I downloaded. It seems that male one has only hands and foots as separate objects and female one is one not editable object (or group of objects). 

2445tns.jpg

I tried to separate one using knife and bisect, but couldn't do it. The models are stationary.

Summing up. Could someone to lend a hand in understanding how can use such models and change their stances?

If the thing is in particular models, can you help me to find appropriate one? (with visible muscles and changeable stances)

If you know how to do it in another 3D editor, please explain, I can download it as well.

Maybe some other advises? 

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Usually changing poses should be simple in 3D programs as long as the models have the neccessary segments - but is almost impossible if those segments are missing.

I don't know blender or unity 3d, so I can't tell you if you're doing something wrong or if those models don't have the needed segments.

However, you might get better results if you're using a 3D program intended for still scenes than one for gaming, because in gaming you don't want too many segments.

Try www.daz3d.com - the program itself and a few models are free, only additional models need to be purchased (and even then they add new free models once a month or so)

jwideman

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Like Andar says, get Daz Studio. It even includes a male and female figure.

Incidentally, Poser (what "inspired" Daz Studio) was originally created for this very purpose.

Square_art

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
Thank you guys! Installed  :)  Almost finished tutorial. I love it so far! Just what I was looking for. So easy to change positions and very easy to customize models!

I'm happy I found it! Thanks!

kaukusaki

Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
there's also makehuman an open source 3d modeller. If you need basic mannequins that would be choice. It also eats less resources than daz.

jwideman

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
there's also makehuman an open source 3d modeller. If you need basic mannequins that would be choice. It also eats less resources than daz.

My understanding is that it creates models using "building blocks" and is neither a true modeler nor a poser/renderer like Daz Studio.

kaukusaki

Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
you're probably thinking of anim8tor or blender. Make human has basic mannequins that are poseable - the latest build covers what you might need. It has both genders skeletons muscles age slider skin tones and racial types. Also has basic clothing too. I use it often for my art. As for posing I don't recall if it has presets or you have to pose them yourself

My understanding is that it creates models using "building blocks" and is neither a true modeler nor a poser/renderer like Daz Studio.

jwideman

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
you're probably thinking of anim8tor or blender. Make human has basic mannequins that are poseable - the latest build covers what you might need. It has both genders skeletons muscles age slider skin tones and racial types. Also has basic clothing too. I use it often for my art. As for posing I don't recall if it has presets or you have to pose them yourself

I'm not sure what you think I said, but you just described makehuman almost exactly as I did. Blender is definitely a modeler and renderer as well.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Sneak peak of my upcoming update! Who's holding her, you may ask? Find out tonight!
10.PNG
BCj
Finished another GUI! Turn indicator wasn't made by me.

ff981f8dc50b03cf58038c644334b454.jpg

3cb092fdc00087acfa0a190fd891f0ed.jpg
Added a small refining scene to my game.

It makes sense that you try to focus on the squishy mages at the back of the party first, right? If the mage can out-DPS the enemy DPS before the latter can kill the tank in front, the fight becomes boring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gabrieuuu