Not open for further replies.

FestivePotato

Awesome Guy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hello! While looking around on the Internet, I recently stumbled accross an image (see the bottom of the post). It amazed me and I wanted to know how it was created. I looked around Google for a half hour, but couldn't find anything. I was hoping somebody could tell me how this image was created, and with what programs, and possibly the game it was from (and a download link for the game.

The Image: 

Original Image Thread

Last edited by a moderator:

Bastrophian

The Pixel Heartist!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
But it looks pretty good though :)

The Dragon God

Indie Game Dev, Concept Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Awesome!! SUGOI!! 

I will try to do that!! 

djDarkX

Retro & Remastered Music Guru
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Music
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's just parallax that has certain items conforming to the 32x32 grid so that the developer can set up passabilities properly.  Easy enough to do, but you'd have to know 3D modeling to get a map that detailed...or just rip it from something via screenshots.  I recommend doing custom 3D maps, rendering to PNG and using them in parallax mapping.

Jay_NOLA

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You can do that with DAZ Studio which is free and just about any other 3D software that .  You just have to do the render of the 3D models in an Oblique Projection render and then take the rendered image and use it as a parallax.

If your program can't do an Oblique Projection render like DAZ you'll need to this.

For DAZ you need to adjust the scene and rescale both the z-axis and y-axis by 150%.  You then would import importing grid as a background to hep with positioning things and any other scaling that needs to be done.

You would do the same thing you did in DAZ in other 3D programs if you couldn't do an Oblique Projection render.

I would use Carrara out of the numerous 3D  to do something like in the scene since I could make model in it also and have built cities in it from the ground up.

The Dragon God

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
SUGOI!!! Great info, gotta try this out. Gotta get stronger!!!!!

Jay_NOLA

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Oh one quick addition.

The game in the image is called Dragoness Edge 2820 and it is one of the sample RPG Maker VX games included on the Japanese  RPG Maker VX CD.  You get to pilot mecha in it from what the description of it says on the Japanese page.

http://tkool.jp/products/rpgvx/samplegame

The Dragon God

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
OMG I want to design a Mecha game but lack the necessary resources.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
basically, it's either you can draw like that or you use 3D moddeling software to make that scene then render it as a PNG image...

The Dragon God

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Darn I'm soo far behind. 

BladesOfGlory

Lord of Cheese
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
That's awesome! It would also be cool if you can animate them too.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
well, you could always export each animation frame of the 3D animation (assuming you're using a program capable of animating the models, not just simply creating them, which I think most modelling progs can animate too) as a separate image, then just change parallax every few frames in the engine to "animate" the parallax...

The Dragon God

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hmm I think I have a 50 - 60% understanding here, that's a good thing, I think I might have the ability to understand this, I'm a visual learner though, so that's how I can 100% my understanding.

By the way, what's Carrara?

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I think it's a 3D modelling software

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
By the way, what's Carrara?
http://www.daz3d.com/carrara-software/
On the same website, you can also get the DAZ-Studio for free to experiment with 3D-Modelling.

But be warned: 3D-Modelling is something where you can easily learn the basics to create your first simple poses, but it takes years of training to be able to make a correct 3D-Scene with everything from ligthing to reflections in the correct place. If you check a library for the topic, you'll be able to see books for art students that have 500 pages only explaining the effects of light in 3D-Modelling - and those 500-pages are knowledge you need to make realistic high-quality-3D-Renders that contain more than a few objects...

Jay_NOLA

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Carrara has some nice plugins to do cel style images  and they have some very good easy to follow video tutorials on how to model a city from the ground up.

The old 1st edition of Figures, Characters and Avatars: The Official Guide to Using DAZ Studio to Create Beautiful Art , by Les Pardew comes with a disk that has a copy of Hexagon a 3D modeling program, Carrara 6 Pro, The Victoria 4 Pro Bundle, the Michael 4 Pro Bundle, Aiko 4 Starter, Hiro 4 Starter and some other content.

Because the book has all this stuff on the disk it comes with it is a major recommendation to beginners, despite that the book covers an older build of DAZ Studio.

http://www.amazon.com/Figures-Characters-Avatars-Official-Beautiful/dp/1598638165

You need to contact DAZ to get the Hexagon serial and Carrara 6 serial.  The Hexagon build on the disk uses a different serial from the current build.

So keep a copy of your purchase receipt for the book as you may be asked to send it.

You can also do animations in DAZ, Carrara, etc. and easily make a sprite sheet out of the animation too.

I can dig out the the tutorial links if any one is interested in how to do this for sprite sheets.

Also, you could make some 3D renders of animated stuff to add for your parallax map to be used as events on the map and you are going to want to make some custom tiles for some things on your map.

The traffic lights in Dragoness Edge 2820 uses a custom tile set to add in some features onto the parallax maps for things like the traffic lights so you move under them in the game and not over them.

The Dragon God

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I got Daz 3D Studio 4.6 , just want to know how and wher do I start making characters.

Jay_NOLA

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I got Daz 3D Studio 4.6 , just want to know how and wher do I start making characters.
See these links for the PDF manuals and a quick start video.

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/userguide/start

Also go to the new users forum on the DAZ site as it has links, etc. too many more tutorials.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewforum/97/

ShareCG.com

Has some free tutorials and lots of free content.  Do look closely at the EULA of the content you download as it may have restrictions.  (I highly recommend you sign up to it.)

http://www.sharecg.com/

Jeremy Birn's book is considered the most helpful book to have if you do op to get into working with 3D software.

A new 3rd edition of it just came out and he has some stuff on his website of use.

http://3drender.com/

The Drake

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I just found Characters and a few tile-sets which are a-bit applicable to RPG MAKER VX ACE.

But, it is not fitting correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

A beloved family member passed away due to complication to combat COVID and diabetes. Rest in peace Grandma.
Just got FES pack for my MZ. The details of the tilesets and chars seem not very compatible with MZ rtp. Look like they are scaled up. Not saying it's bad, but just won't fit well.
I've been busy with other things lately but I'm getting back into working on stuff for my game next month. I think I'm going to fiddle with making NPC busts next, mixing and matching stuff from DLC I've purchased.
Just finished composing a boss battle theme!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roeselerfinnole