48x96 Sprite Sheet Template for MV

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV Resources' started by Xev, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Xev

Xev Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Good Morning!  As awesome as the character creator is in MV, I really wanted larger hand-drawn sprites. So, I've made a template for myself and I thought I would share it with you all. This post will be half template, half beginner tutorial.  I am a beginner myself, and I'm not sure if it will be helpful to all the veterans here, but so far it has served me well.

The template is for Photoshop only: .psd Mirror Download from Dropbox or download from this post's attachment below.

For those not using Photoshop here are some of my template's alternatives: 

Xev's Non-PS 48x96 Sprite Template 1.png Xev's Non-PS 48x96 Sprite Template 2.png

I will show you some features and a tutorial of the template...

Here is the “Black Lines Grid” Layer over the “White Background” Layer. You can use this setup to check your Guides or just start creating from here.

Screenshot 1.png

You can toggle the “Labels” Layer on/off to see where you should place your sprites, their directions, and the labels are color coded for each individual character.

Screenshot 2.png

You can also use the “Black Background” Layer with the “Labels” Layer as well.

Screenshot 2_2.png

The Black Background Layer should be used with Grids & Guides. Remember to have 'Snap To' turned on for easy placement of sprites.

Screenshot 3.png

To toggle Grids and Guides on/off go to 'View' and select 'Extras'.

Screenshot 3_2.png

To edit your Grid and Guides preferences, go to 'Edit' > 'Preferences' > 'Guides, Grid, & Slices...'

Screenshot 3_3.png

Here you can customize the color of the Guides. Mine are currently set to hot pink.

You can also customize the Grid Color and the size. I have my guides set to blue and 48 pixels.

(I highly recommend leaving it at 48)

Screenshot 3_4.png

You don't have to use both Grid and Guides at the same time.

You can toggle between the two with ease.

Just go to 'View' > 'Show' > and toggle off either Grid or Guides.

Screenshot 3_5.png

After you've completed your sprite sheet, remember to turn off all layers (except your sprites) and save your spritesheet as a .png.

Screenshot 4.png

It is very important to remember to put a ! in front of your spritesheet's filename. This will tell the editor that the sprites are bigger than 48x48 tilesize. (ex. !spritesheet.png )

Place your completed spritesheet in your project's 'characters' folder.  This is how I did it, tested it, and it worked.

And you're finished! But you will have to scale up your tilesets and resources so your characters don't look tiny.  Have fun and happy spriting! :)  

View attachment Xev's 48x96 Sprite Sheet Template.psd

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2016
    Leon_Artmann likes this.
  2. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Xev you need to edit your post, the board didn't follow the link format you gave

3. Xev

Xev Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    It is complete! Haha I finally learned :)

4. Jonforum

Jonforum Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    if you want a secret with Photoshop to work with grid and easy create file based ont you own big format with Photoshop.

1. create a new file, is a single frame. ( the size you want.) for your example 48x96p
    2. After go to  [Images] and [canvas size]
    3. You put * 300%x and *400%y (for file with $) Or regular file without $, put *1200%x and *800%y
    4. After go to [view] and [new guide layout]
    5. Set auto grid ( 3*4) for $file or (12*8) for regular file.

This take about 13 second :)  and is the pro and easy ways to do .

5. Xev

Xev Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Indeed.  That's what I do, but I find that the added guides and sprite direction layer helps me more, personally. I'm a beginner at rpgmaker, but I'm a pro at photoshop.  ;)