Status
Not open for further replies.

pErijoy

A Sylvan Deity~
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Wow! Just look at those shiny new Resource Packs  :guffaw: , they look great!

Also a BIG congratulations on the launch of the Luna Engine, I can see how useful it'll be to many RM Users, especially those who have little to no scripting knowledge ( :p  That would be people like myself XD)

A Huge Thank You for hosting this giveaway as well :D  , I really appreciate this opportunity you give to everyone.  :)

Alright onto the question...

What is one feature you wish more RPGs incorporated into their gameplay/plot?

One feature I wished RPGs incorporated more would be the ability to talk and build relationships with the villagers/ NPCs.

It really brings the game to life when you can learn about the lives of the NPCs and can help build onto the storyline when using the normal storyline 'save the world'. Why bother saving a virtual world? The stories of the NPCs act as a reason for saving them, it adds that emotional connection and I think that's a really important aspect of any game including RPGs. I'm sure you have that one character who even though isn't real yet you have a connection to (Speaking about some anime characters  :p , or other game characters.). Instead of Having to talk to the NPCs for missions and getting that achievement, wanting to find their story makes the games a lot more enjoyable.

Basically being able to immerse yourself in that magical world by speaking and interacting with the NPCs out of interest instead of 'getting that iteam' is a feature I wished more RPGs incorporated.

Good Luck Everyone! Looking forward to seeing all those packs in use. Yay!! More games to play.

*Ahem* I mean keep up the good work, keeping an eye out on the Luna Engine.  :D

ebonyazrael

Class:Random Creator Race:Random Fiend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Japanese
Primarily Uses
Beautiful packs! You guys always do incredible works :D

What I want more in RPGs:

Secrets! I want more secrets!

I mean, I want more party talks depend on where they are and what they are doing, and extra dungeon/events that we can come up optionaly on maps. Like SERIOUSLY hidden caves which you can only access when you wonder deep deep in a mountain map. You enter the hidden path between trees and after wondering for a while, you sight suddenly opens to find a beautiful pound with a fall and behind the fall, there is a hidden cave. Or perhaps, secret ruins which are never mentioned anywhere (because it's totally forgotten!) or abondoned lair of bandits or... I mean, secret dungeons!

You may find various things there. Treasures, enemies, events, side quests... You may need to get back to there after a while, because the enemies are too strong at that point, or you may only activate the event when you bring certain member to there...

Also, certain items sometimes leads to activate events. Like a legendary ring which can give you permanent hidden state, but when you equip it, you may have chance to be attacked by strong enemies... Yes, LotR. lol

I want something like that. Hidden conditions and paths, dungeons, events which enable players to encounter different playing experience everytime they play!

...And I know I'm greedy ;P

Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Looks like I need to catch up on all the resource packs. All these look and sound great.

As for a feature I'd like more RPGs to have:

- I'd like to see more RPGs done from the point of view of a villain or an anti-hero, or yet better, have more than one point of view presented, one from a hero and one from a villain. Let us experience the same story but from different moral angles and viewpoints. So the hero is exploring dungeon after dungeon to get to the villain. And what's the villain doing in the meantime? I want to be in his or her shoes to find that out! :D

taarna23

Marshmallow Princess
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Multiple endings! Be it multiple views for the same character or a point of view for other characters, it's all good. Just needs more than one way to end! Lots of work, though...

Kapik

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses

Interactive environment.

Actual gameplay besides battles. Make exploration fun. Dungeons (and towns, too!) filled with secrets, puzzles and traps. Characters equipped with tools, skills and magic to interact with their surroundings.

kenibatz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

Chrono Trigger had this gameplay feature that I don't see enough in RPGs: exclusive special combos that are made available based on who is in the active party.

Example: If Crono and Lucca were both in the active party, they could combine their skills and use the special combo Fire Sword which dealt more fire damage to the opponents.

This feature was made even more awesome when Triple Tech Combos were used. :) It also helped that each combo had its own unique animation.  :D

sandizzle

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses

Lots more gear and item crafting. A system where no weapons or armor are always strictly better, but instead more situational or play style friendly.

Beckernyms

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
They look really cool. Definitely adding to my wishlist.

One feature I wish RPGs incorporated into their gameplay or plot?  Hard question.  I would definitely like to see more RPGs where you have more party members than you can have in a battle at any one time and occasionally have to split up, so you have to keep them all leveled up about the same so that you don't have really under powered characters when you do have to split up. Sailor Moon RPG: Another story did that. Super Mario RPG also did the first part of that, though to my memory there was never a time when the parties split up. It just adds more strategy to all of it to me, deciding which characters to use for what, to make sure you don't just over power only a few.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I hope it's not too late! I wish more RPG'S had it so you can switch your character whenever you want to during the game. Like play as Ulrika instead of Ralph change to whoever there just isn't enough of those.

Alexander Amnell

Jaded Optimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Almost missed the deadline for this one, didn't realize any of these packs where out except for Luna (it kind of eclipsed them.....hehe).

Hmm, one feature I'd like to see in more rpgs, hell this is one I'd like to see come standard is a more strategic battle system. Where you don't run into hordes of non-threatening monsters that give you carpal tunnel in one index finger for how many times you spam the same 'free attack' command to quickly dispatch them. Honestly I'd be happy to see developers start to throw the whole standard free attack (and the useless guard as well, though it doesn't bother me as much) out the window completely and actually balance ALL of their battles around the skillsets given to the player and the resource management necessary to continue using them. Rather than balancing boss fights exclusively and basing that balance on the average number of mobs you'll have to attack spam/potion chug your way through to get to. It's just not fun, it wasn't fun in the 90s and it isn't fun today, yet it continues to mar otherwise great rpgs all over the place.

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Congrats on all the releases!

The feature I would lie to see more has been mentioned by several others in this thread, but a story that has more impact on its world: choices that branch off, so multiple endings at the very end, NPCs that are more 'realistic' and make the world alive. Stuff like that always makes me happy :D

lemongreen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So many great packs... (and only adding more to the list of things I have to save up to get...)

Also, I hope I'm not late, but I suppose the one feature I'd like to see more of in RPGs (I'm afraid I've been playing more puzzle games lately so this is a bit hard to answer) would be less monotonous level-grinding (if possible). Seriously, you can have the best designed battle system but if the player is sitting for hours having to fight most likely the same types of enemies repeatedly just to get to the right level  for the next boss then there's a high chance they won't want to play for the long hours it'll take. Even if your game has the best game play, story, or graphics (That's not to say all grinding is bad; some games do handle it quite well)

SergeX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
Wow! Amazing packs, especially Luna. 

More interaction between battle gameplay, map gameplay, NPCs and plot/lore, to make things more realistic, 'human'. At times, all those elements seem separated.

To bring more union, name a fire elemental spell with the name of the godess of fire of the lore. Make the skills actually play a role outside of the battle, like that fire spell being necessary to melt a ice block in the path, or a certain skill required to solve a mystery/puzzle. Give backstory to monsters, how they are used for food, clothes or armory with the already used bestiary scripts. 

The idea is turn everything in a organic whole, where the fragmentary elements of the game crosses each other.

For NPCs part: would be is cool see more games which NPCs has personality and little backstory that is developed as the game progresses, so they doesn't repeat themselves to the death (use switchs and different even pages!). Like: a NPC of a talented archer (named with a name of a god, because his mother was blessed by that god - again, crossing references) tells about his hopes and dreams and give more info on the lore showing how his life is related with the world. And then, after an event of a battle/ war, in his place appears a sad knight girlfriend  saying how the archer was killed in combat and how she is sad because they were going to marry after the end of the war.

This way, theres realism (people actually die, even talented warriors) and coesion and immersion (plot events bringing real impact and story to the NPCs).  In general, I find that huge events like wars and such bring almost zero impact on the life of NPCs, that seems a separated instance from the rest of the game. And NPCs with some backstory which relates lore/plot/gameplay will turn everything more interesting, will give a reason to interact with the world. Though it is hard and a slow work, its totally viable with different event pages and switches.

To attain more realism, make humans more "humans", with a imperfect, flawed memory and personality, with things that they never told you but you learn talking with another NPC (everybody has secrets, things that aint easy telling), etc. Make the characters more uncertain about things. Instead of making they say: it happened this way, make them say: well... if my memory doesnt fault, things happened maybe this way... - Theres a huge difference between these sentences. Make a hero that questions his own path instead of a superior human that is 100% certain that he is going the route of justice and "good". 

I hope I'm being clear.  :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
wow ... my mouse script is in Luna Engine? I had no idea!!! I was wondering if it would be compatible ... is it as-was, or did you have to make a number of mods?

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
wow ... my mouse script is in Luna Engine? I had no idea!!! I was wondering if it would be compatible ... is it as-was, or did you have to make a number of mods?
WHat!? Shaz mouse system is in luna engine!?

.....Hope I get money for buy luna engine this is totally convince me to buy luna engine now! finally a eye candy enginne who support Shaz system!

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
VNM
It was compatible! There was one mod since it wasn't compatible with YEA's targeting though.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, I did see that one. I'm amazed (that it only required minimal changing), and thrilled :D Wonder if now is the right time to tell you I plan to do an overhaul ...

Crazetex

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Mouse support with Luna? That made it a lot more appealing. I can do my own menu edits for the most part, I've overhauled BattleStatus plenty of times, but having it all functional with mouse... hmm!

The Florana Princess

The royal fluffy bunny butt
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Definitely the job system. The most modern game I can think of that used this system is Bravely Default. 24 jobs to choose from and so much variety! More games need to incorporate this system as it keeps things fresh and interesting.

P.S: I think Fantasy Life for the 3ds just came out and it has a job system as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Been parallax mapping nigh all night. :D
2nd character based on the same random inputs
the coffee shop i go to for open mic every friday only has 2 more open mics left and then they're done :'( i'm gonna die!
Everytime someone says Intel "kabylake" I hear either baby lake or ladycake.
Either I just had one of those dreams where you think you're awake, or I have time traveled. I woke up at 6:58am this morning, heard my father leaving for work, laid back down, now its 1:16am.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayato7729