90% of game data lost, Is there anyway to recover it?

BSlitB

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I opened rpgmaker and it said "Unable to read game.rmmzproject", "Unable to read mapinfo.json", "unable to read system.json" etc.
I followed another thread's advice and copied the files over but 90% of the files were gone.

How do I fix this?

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So, to be clear, all of those files were physically missing from your project?

If that's the case, then...any other things you might do for files you didn't have on your computer anymore. If there's any possibility you accidentally deleted them, they could be in your Recycle Bin. If your project folder was set to automatically backup to a cloud service like OneDrive or Google Drive (which is a bad idea), they should be in that directory.

Other than that, only if you actually backed up your project by copying the files someplace else...aside from that, there's not really a way to just make corrupted/deleted files just reappear.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Because RPG Maker treats its files as a database, writing to them as you make changes in the editor. Having another piece of software trying to copy those files to your cloud while the editor is writing to them can corrupt them.

There was a thread not too long ago from a user whose MZ project got messed up because they had Steam save file cloud syncing turned on.

Nereid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
none
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I don't know about Steam cloud, but I've been using gdrive now for a few months and no corruption happened so far... if it ever did then at least I'd have the previous version still there... backup elsewhere daily or so too. Also, I think it backs up after it detects changes to them... so they'd need to have already been written to, presumably.

Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
if it ever did then at least I'd have the previous version still there
no, you don't.

the cause of this problem is that only one program can access any file at any given time.
if your clouddrive tries to sync while the editor is open, Windows will prevent that with an error message.
a lot of clouddrives interpret that error message wrongly as "this file is now 0 bytes long" and DELETE the cloud-data.

then if you close the editor without saving between the last sync and the closing (which can be a minute or two), then at the next sync the cloudservice determines that the cloudversion (the one with now 0 bytes) is more current than the local version, and overwrites the local data with the 0 byte files of the cloud.

result: both local files AND cloudfiles are deleted.
It just doesn't happen every time because it depends on when the last local save was compared to cloudsaves, and most people do save before closing the editor (making the local file the newer one).

Nereid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
none
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It... doesn't happen if it's saved? Not sure I get that, and I closed lots of times when no changes were made, so no need to save (also when some changes were made, but I didn't need to save them...)

In any case this is why I also backup (usually when RM is closed) elsewhere daily or so, I'm never far from a current version, at best a corruption could set me back one event.

(I hope BSlitB is able to recover them...)

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It... doesn't happen if it's saved?
not exactly - as I said it depends on when it was saved compared to when the failed sync was.
If the last save was after the last sync, the cloud gets updated with the correct files
if the last sync was after the last save, your local data gets erased.

and since you have no control over when the sync happens, it can even happen in the half second between you hitting OK for save and closing the program.
it's just less likely to happen if you keep that span of time as short as possible, which is why these forums only get the "lost all data to cloudsync" case once every few months.

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
It always makes me sad when it happens to anyone.

Try to get static copies, like an external drive or a USB key when you work and then do at least an A and a B copy. (I do that in Photoshop with an Original and a Safety copy in case of corruption)

And... no on-line automatic update on things you use either games or game-project.

I am old school I know. But just make sure you get at least an older version back-up as well as physical back-up made when you were offline and out of your computer automatic backing up time.

It makes sense to paranoid folks like me, but maybe it should be the first tip we see opening the makers. Not telling what to do with RPGMaker, but this is recurrent.

AeroPergold

RPG Maker Nutcase
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
So this sort of thing happened to me while making a remake of one of my older games. RPG Maker MZ crashed whilst I was saving and corrupted the database but I managed to salvage the maps (unluckily only the maps). So this is what I did.

1. I created a new project and spammed as many new maps as possible, as much as there maps in my corrupted project.
  2. Move the map data files from the corrupted project to the new project
  3. reload the new project

And boom you got your maps back but unfortunately you'll have to rebuild the rest of the database and an F is deserved if you have plugin data like I did since I made a crapton of quests in the VisuStella Quest System plugin that I didn't feel like making again.

This might be helpful.

Dolorre

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Dang. I use Dropbox, but reading this thread made me decide to move my game out of there. I'll keep backups on my computer and in Dropbox, but I will no longer be saving straight to Dropbox.

So glad I came across this thread before I lost anything.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

FREE puzzle generator in steam workshops. It will randomly generate countless puzzles.
If you have the steam version of MV, you can see how I made the puzzles and freely copy/paste the events into your own project.

I might add more generators to the steam workshop in the future.

Enjoy!

Hit the ground running! first day back and got ALOT of things going and even have a bunch of fresh ideas on how to tackle old problems!
I've got like 15 game ideas that I'm working on at the same time, and I'm fresh out of motivation for all of them. the past couple of weeks have been me not working on anything at all and wasting my time instead of being productive... gosh I love myself so much
Well turns out I'm not going to the fair... COVID cases way too high in my state. Instead I'll just go to Chuck E Cheese's and transfer all my tickets from Orlando to my normal PlayPass wristband.
NV4LMYs.gif

New UIs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aephemerial