999+ events on a single map in RPG Maker VX Ace (script request)

Discussion in 'RGSS3 Script Requests' started by MasterMoes, Nov 6, 2019.

1. MasterMoes

MasterMoes Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    So apparently, it is impossible to have more than 999 events on a single RPG maker VX Ace map. This is a huge problem for my open world game, and I was wondering if someone could create a script or something that can do this. I'm really in need of such a thing, and I am even willing to pay some sort of reasonable price to get this done (it's very important to me).

All I would need is something that can allow me to have more than 999 events on a single map. Don't be concerned about lag, I have fixed that problem myself. Any scriptwriters willing to do this?

Vis_Mage likes this.
  2. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    You can theoretically bypass this by spawning events using code instead of the interface..

Im not sure if you can modify the interface's event limits via a script but I do know there is an Ace script called Limit Breaker or something like that which breaks the limit on database entries. You can probably try to find that one and see if it includes events.

standardplayer likes this.
  3. Heirukichi

Heirukichi Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    The vast majority of open world games uses multidimensional arrays to store map cells instead of using a super big map. Each cell would have its own contents and cells are loaded into the memory whenever the player gets close. This much can be done in VX Ace as well without having to spawn events, and it is definitely more efficient than any other solution that includes handling the whole map at once, no matter how good your anti-lag script is.

4. MasterMoes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Sorry, I wasn't specific enough. These events aren't used to trigger commands, they are only use for graphical purposes. Most of the events have the graphic of a custom tree sprite I made, and I do this because the tileset options are too limited to let me add an extra vegetation-related tileset sheet. And if I split the huge world into separate maps, it would ruin my game because 1., remaking a map that took me 5 months to design would be a nightmare, and 2., my game has some odd game mechanics (from events to scripts) involving things like teleportation, situations automatically happening off screen, day and night cycles, ect... So if I made certain parts of code run (for example) by having an event activate when a player reaches a certain coordinate, I would still need more than 999 visual events to make the game worth it to a modern gamer who expects a lot for what they pay for (my game IS commercial by the way)

The only other option would be to somehow make the tree sprites appear on the map without an event while also being impassable. My intentions are so specific that paying for a script to be made would be the best option (I'll hopefully make my money back when I publish this game). Who would know how to script this type of thing? Tsukihime or Yanfly maybe?

5. Heirukichi

Heirukichi Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Whatever their purpose is, it does not make that much of a difference here.

I think you are mistaken about a few things here, or that you are currently lacking the necessary knowledge to know how to handle this.

1) Splitting your map into cells takes N operations, where N is the number of cells plus the number of events. All you have to do is copy/paste your map using SHIFT+click.
    2) None of those you mentioned is impossible when using different cells. On the contrary, making things happen in a different map is even easier, because you are absolutely sure that the player is not there so you can just trigger a switch and have the events replace themselves once the player enters the map, no animation/parallel process involved.

This sounds all the more reason to have a game that is performing and does not use some sort of half-baked solution.
    If you have a spritesheet for that, you could use regions to achieve the same thing, although that would require a script.

Anyway, planning things beforehand is usually a good practice rather than finding that your solution is a sub-optimal one when your game has already a big size. In this forum there is a plethora of discussions where people explain why you should limit the number of events to just those you need, and there is also a plethora of very good reasons for that.

Especially if you are planning to go commercial, putting enough effort into planning how to proceed should be the bare minimum. Commercial games have much higher standards compared to free ones, not only because people have to pay for them, but also because the competition is fierce.

6. Vis_Mage

Vis_Mage Novice Magician Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Since the 999 event limit is enforced within the editor itself, I feel it's very unlikely you'll find a way to work around the limit from a conventional standpoint. However, if you're willing to use scripts, a few workarounds open up. A few approaches you could use include:

1. Yanfly's Region Event Spawner: https://yanflychannel.wordpress.com/rmvxa/utility-scripts/spawn-event/
    You can use this script to spawn events created from a "template" event. You could use this to free up the event limit by spawning any commonly-repeated events, such as your trees.

2. Vlue's Multiple Map Layers: https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/multiple-map-layers.18223/
    One of my all time favorite scripts. It basically lets you overlay multiple maps over one another, allowing for one map to use any number of tilesets. You could add those trees and other decorative events to tilesets, make an overlay map using them, and free up a ton of events. By the way, it's not even limited to 1 overlay map per base map. My starting village has 4 overlay maps, for a grand total of 20 tilesets!

3. While not scripting, you could go the parallax mapping route to completely remove the majority of your decorative events.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko likes this.
  7. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    @Vis_Mage except parallax mapping a single, very big game map is virtually impossible.

If those are your targets (people who prefer visuals), then you're probably using the wrong engine...

Anyway, you can also lower the event count by clustering some of them since you're only using them for graphics. Then just use a blank tile that is impassable for the places that would be painted with the impassable trees.

PS: Yanfly has just retired and Hime, I havent seen that user for a while now.

8. MasterMoes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Wow, these recommendations are even better than a 999 event limit breaker! I've been looking for a single alternate answer to my problem, then you come and give me two! Thank you, this is exactly what I needed! I can even spread the events like a tile instead of copy and pasting even visual event! Thank you very much, it will be fun to experiment with these.

That was something else I tried, but it didn't work well with my weird tileset scripts. Also, you're right about the visual appeal thing, but my game is supposed to be SNES and N64 gamer nostalgic (like the Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest games).

Lastly, to Heirukichi, I have yet to explore that type of designing. Thanks for the introduction to it. :)

9. CrowStorm

CrowStorm Check my résumé, your residence is residue Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    PROTIP: no it isn't.

I appreciate all these chill & kindly peeps (and obvs you should too) trying to help you, but can you explain how and why this is a "huge problem" for your open world game? Start with what you're doing with these literally hundreds of events. Because I'm pretty sure if we actually delve into that and think about things a little, we will see that having over 999 isn't at all necessary or desirable.

10. Wyrelade

Wyrelade Wyrelade - The one and only. Veteran

First Language:
    Finland
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Get 2 scripts.

Effectus and Remember event position by Shaz

these could fix your problems (or make them worse.) give it a try.

Pm me if u need them.

11. MasterMoes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Yes, I would like to check them out. Also, Vis_Mage, I tried them out but they didn't accomplish much. The map layer script only works with tiles from a tileset, not events sadly. The Yanfly script can move events from one map to another, but it only places one of the events on a random region spot, the location can't be specified.

To CrowStorm, I already mentioned my reason for these. Here is the quote:

12. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Wyrelade : Remember to send them the link so they can buy Effectus if requested, as it is a commercial script and cannot be distributed directly.

@MasterMoes : Have you considered making your vegetation layer a fog, and using a fog script? That's what most do instead. And it is a lot more efficient in terms of CPU usage.