Rikifive

Bringer of Happiness
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
Other
I recently bought a USB NES controller to play with emulators; I have an N64 one as well. It really improves the experience for me when using emulators but still not the real thing unfortunately.
Yeah, it's not possible to fully recreate the experience. =P

If I remember correctly Champions of Norrath had online play; that would have been amazing to try. I preferred that Champions of Norrath allowed character customisation and it didn't force the story as much as Baldur's Gate but I think I prefer BG for the same reasons you prefer CoN; I just have so many fond memories of playing it on coop  :)
Yes, it was supporting playing online, though I've never tried that, because my PS2 didn't had any internet connection.

Now this is a good comparison between these games. ^^

Yeah, that's exactly the problem with Baldur's Gate, particularly Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II. I normally don't like playing magical characters because I'm too lazy to work out the differences in the spells and the enemies resistances. For instance in Diablo I during the Hell levels you encounter these knights who have 100% resistance to all magic types except fire (which they have 75% resistance to), my sorcerer was certainly crying there  :guffaw:  the only way I was ever able to kill them effectively was by freezing them and then casting firewalls where they were frozen. 

I don't think I remember the Figurines in Champions of Norrath but that sounds interesting. It seems that the makers of the Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance and Champions of Norrath games didn't like spell casters  :guffaw:
Yup, that's right. In Diablo there were even monsters with immunity to all, such as 'Obsidian Lord'. I had to kill them with my staff, because nothing was working on them besides 'Golem' spell. Playing with these resistances was a challenge indeed. At least Sorcerer had a high amount of mana, so when you had Mana Shield ON, then you had more than 700 Hit points (and additional 200+ of normal health in case if the shield would go down). It was easy to keep track of that, since you were using your mana for spells and as health, so basically having Potions of Mana was enough.

Good times... ^^

Yeah, I guess that was a hidden hate message by developers. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I totally agree with that  :)

I've been wanting to try and make an old Ultima style RPG for a while now and might try and set myself the challenge of attempting to make it in a weekend or a week like you did with Sleeping Hill.
Actually there was an event 'Indie in a Week' organized on forums, so that's when 'Sleeping Hill' and 'Frozen Dream' were created. 'Indie in a Week 3' is going to start soon, so perhaps that'll be time for third quick-mad game. (also there's the birthday event, so I'll make one game for both events I guess) ^^

I'm exactly the same with music; I just use trial and error until I get something right. I've been composing for two years and still don't quite have the hang of it. That's great that you learned how to create your own resources so quickly; you are skilled at using RPG Maker too. I think it's great when one person can develop a whole game on their own. Have you ever considered making and releasing a game commercially?
I've tried making 8-bit music for some time, but it was terrible. I've did some remakes (song to 8-bit), but when it comes to come up with my own melody and stuff ~ extremely difficult ~ perhaps I'd make something nice, but it would require so much time lel.

When I was starting working with RM I had absolutely 0 experience in scripting/drawing and stuff. I'd never guess I'll be able to do anything at all. =P

Making a whole game on your own is pretty nice indeed, but it depends. Everything has its own pros and cons. ~ Everything takes forever to make, but at least you don't have to search/rely on the others that much, which may cause problems sometimes. But having a team made of friends would be even better and fun. ^^

I was thinking about this, but I'm not going to lie - I don't think I'm ready for any profit yet. I highly doubt, that my silly games/minigames would be something, that would be worth buying, though I admit, that even a tiny profit would help a lot due to different currency. Well, I think many people would love to achieve success here - Doing what they love and don't have to be worried by RL problems.

Perhaps someday...

How about you? Any plans? =P

Last edited by a moderator:

___

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
_

Rikifive

Bringer of Happiness
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
Other
Using the mana shield was the only way I could survive as the sorcerer, sometimes I would forget to put my mana shield back on after going down a level and would instantly die  :guffaw: . I don't remember encountering the Obsidian lords when I played as the Sorcerer; I've played through the whole game only once as the sorcerer. I preferred the warrior but I found him challenging to play with when I reached hell because of all the ranged enemies and lack of confined spaces to bottle neck enemies. I ended up using the teleport spell so I could quickly reach ranged enemies. The rogue was pretty fun as well. I would sometimes try and play the sorcerer or the rogue like the warrior and be a melee fighter but it always had disastrous results lol. I think it was the Gameboy Advance that had a version of Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance that was very similar to the console version of Diablo I. It was quite different to it's console counterpart though.
lol exactly! That moment, when you're dying on level ~10 just because you forgot to put on the shield. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Obsidian lords were quite difficult to handle as sorcerer ~ there were even more completely immune to elements monsters in hell (floor) on hell (difficulty). If chasing ranged enemies with a warrior was a challenge, then imagine what sorcerer had to do with resistant ranged enemies. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Rogue was the simpliest class (because of ranged 'melee' damage) and I liked playing as her.

I loved Diablo 1 on PSX, because of local coop. It was really fun to play, though friendly fire was really annoying. With my Sorcerer I was accidentally killing him by hitting him with my fireball spell. Max resistances didn't helped him. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I didn't have GBA. =P

I love 8-Bit music but I'm no good at making it sadly  :guffaw:

If you've been playing NES games you might have played Metroid, one of my favourite pieces of 8-bit music is called Kraid's Lair. I love how that even with very primitive sound chips the 8-bit composers were able to create very emotive and epic themes.
I love NES games! =3  ...Though I haven't played Metroid that much. =P

But NES music is great indeed. To this day I like to listen to soundtracks from these games. Music from games like "Duck Tales", "Ultimate Stuntman", "Big Nose The Caveman" and many more brings back so many good memories. =3

I think you have good attention to detail and did great perfecting the gameplay in Good vs Evil: The Fateful Curse. I assume you are from Poland; I hear that it's quite a happening place for game development with companies like CD Projekt. I've never played any of the Witcher games but they look great. I heard that that company was going to make a PC port of Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance at one point, funny how that game keeps coming back up lol.
Why, thank you. Perhaps someday...?

Yup, I'm from Poland and I'm surprised, that Poland managed to achieve something. =P

I haven't played any of the Wither games either, but I keep hearing, that it's a really decent game. Well, I'm kinda proud of what they did. ^^

It will sound weird, but I'm not keeping track of the AAA games, neither playing them. To be honest I'm rarely playing any games due to lack of free time and... well money.

My friend is always asking me "Did you see that game?" "*gasp* a nice game is about to be released, check it out!", "I'm playing an awesome game, play this too! *links tons of gameplays and tells everything about the game*" - I guess that's my personal source of news, though still I'm not playing them. =P

I prefer some silly indie games. =P

I have a couple of plans for little games, I have a lot of fun making resources, writing dialogue and designing levels but game making is a quite a self indulgent thing for me and I think I enjoy making games more than other people would enjoy playing them lol I'm hoping to start making an old school RPG soon.
Quite like me. I'm spending more time toying with stuff than playing games, as I said below the quote above. =P

It is fun, but quite challenging and kind of frustrating sometimes. =P

Well good luck with your project! ^^

It's inspiring to see the results that you've achieved in such short amounts of time, I'll need to check out Frozen Dream. Those Indie in a Week events sound like a great idea, I'd love to create something for them if I can find the time. Thanks for letting me know about it  :)
What people say is true - RPG's are definitely one of the much harder genres to make. My main project is an RPG - it takes forever to make; however, making simple games can be done within a week.

I think I'll be killed for advertising, but 'Indie in a Week 3' is an event organized on the other forums and is going to start very soon. (Signups & info in few days, then game making period starts on ~1st March)

If you ever need some original music written or sound effects made for any games that you're working I could try and help out with that  :)
Oh sure! ~ Especially sound effects. =P

I'm only capable of doing 8-bit SE, but nothing else, so that could be really helpful, thanks for offering! (=

And I think I may need some music as well for main project, if you don't mind ponies of course. =P

Just of curiosity ~ do you have some samples of SE's? ~ also by the way, the music samples you've posted in the OP are gone again. =P

LOL, so many walls of text in an introduction topic. Has science gone too far? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

___

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
_

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Nah, but we remind you that you don't need to quote if you are responding to the post immediately above yours. People will get what you are referring to. ;)

Rikifive

Bringer of Happiness
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
Other
Nah, but we remind you that you don't need to quote if you are responding to the post immediately above yours. People will get what you are referring to. ;)
YAY! ^^

But a reply to a wall of text may be confusing a little, so I still prefer to quote the parts. =P

That situation needs a meme xD
lol, true xD

I don't think I could deal with obsidian lords while playing with the sorcerer; they sound like they would provide me with cause to rage quit xD

That's a description of the rogue, definitely the most simple class. Non magic ranged damage, no need for mana potions. I'd usually play with the warrior and rogue on cooperative because at least the rogue could control her shots unlike the sorcerer with his charged bolt xD

I'm glad they removed the friendly fire in the sequel.
You had to be very cautious, because when 3 or 4 of them were starting to hit you ~ bad times.

It was fun to play with her as tactics were kinda important.

Guess what was happening when my brother was standing between me and an army of enemies while I was using Chain Lightning. #SHREKT ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

But still, the first one was... and is the best Diablo game, where the third one was a total failure in my opinion.

That's a lot like me, so I don't find it weird at all. I spend most of my time discovering old classics or small indie games but mostly old games. I could probably count on one hand the amount of AAA games made in the last half decade that I've played. Free time and money for games is rare for me, I just watch for GOG sales events like a vulture to buy old games that I've bought 2 or 3 times before in physical format xD

It's useful to have a personal news source, I'm usually the last to hear about the latest popular games. What indie games do you like in particular? 
Heh, that's good. ^^

I'm not hyped for AAA games, because they're boring. I don't care, that they have super graphics ~ they're just boring for me. Years ago, there were many great games, now there are only few left and remakes/rematering all the way. I prefer to play simpler games, where the gameplay is more important.

Well, not exactly ~ I don't find these games interesting, so it's like getting a spam with 'useless' info. =P He's throwing me gameplays and such and I'm always ending not playing the game at all.

I like to play Roguelike/RPGs/Platformers/Hack'n'slash/Horror/Action/Side~topdown scrollers ~ well basically many things, especially if there is local multiplayer.

Example games that I can think of at the moment are:

'Rogue Legacy' (a nice game), 'Hero Siege' (loved to play that with my brother), 'Risk of Rain' (it was fun to play with my brother), '8-bit Commando' (extremely fun when playing with bro), 'Shovel Knight' (good times and great soundtracks) and many more.

What about you? Besides old-school RPG/hack'n'slashes anything particular? =P

That's true, I've been planning to start an RPG for a while and I've been writing down lists of all the graphics, sound effects, music and game engine changes I'll need to do and I was shocked by the vastness of the list lol. It'll probably take forever in between work and study. Hopefully the advertising won't be a problem since I asked about it  :)

I googled the event yesterday and I better get signing up soon if I want to take part  :o

Have you decided if you are going to take part for this one?

I'll probably only have a weekend free to make mine so I'll probably end up having to draw terrible pixel stick men for graphics and record 1 track keyboard pieces for the soundtrack xD
Yup, there is really lots of work on these. Making sidescrollers or other minigame-like games requires much less work, balancing and resources. Making a decent RPG will surely take forever.

There is still some time for sign ups and yes, I'm participating this event. Hopefully I'll manage to enter something this time. =P

A stickman game would be always something - many people don't manage to even upload anything in time. In 'Indie in a Week! 2' out of 21 contestants, only 5 of them managed to make an entry. =P

Unfortunately I only have experience in 8-bit sound effects too xD

I am hoping to expand beyond that in the future though, if I manage to get a portfolio together of non 8-bit SE in the future and you're still interested I'll let you know  :)

I could certainly try and write some music for it, if you have any ideas for what you would like the piece of music to be like feel free to let me know whenever you need it. 

I don't really know much about the ponies other than it's a TV show that was made for and marketed to young girls but it's fan base extends to women and men of all ages and some people online have an issue with the fandom because they feel adults shouldn't be watching a kids show? or boys shouldn't be watching a show made for girls? I'm not 100% where the controversy comes from. Dungeons and Dragons used to be very controversial because it was considered satanic by people who didn't understand it so I don't really judge what I don't understand. Besides, the first anime I ever liked was Cardcaptorswhen I was a young child and some people thought it was strange that I liked a show that was made for girls. I didn't even realise at the time to be honest lol and I am guilty of still watching nostalgic kids shows I grew up with sometimes 
Haha, nice one! xD

My main project will take forever, so there is still time. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)   ~ I probably will be needing sounds like magic effects and such. =P

When I'll come up with something then sure! ^^

To this day I can't believe on what I'm doing with my life. That fact surprises even me and it's quite difficult to explain lol. ... It's magic.

Every single fandom is hated by people outside, not only with MLP. I haven't played it, but Undertale seems to have a fandom, that is hated by some people already. I saw some stuff here and there asking what is so awesome about this, that there's so much hype about it.

I think the hate appears just because of the differences between people. One person loves one thing, second person another thing - they don't understand each other, so the hate is created. ~ Like you said - they can't understand that. People love to judge others, so it's a great occasion to throw some negative energy all over the place I guess.

I always liked to watch 'happy' stuff instead of bloody action movies. I dislike RL stuff and its problems, so I prefer to watch something else to keep me distracted from this. Kid shows and stuff like this are sometimes way much 'smarter' than anything else ~ I just like to absorb some positive energy and watch things, that we'll never get IRL.

There are more factors, that causes people liking stuff like this ~ especially the pain and sadness, that RL is throwing at them.

Everybody have their own story and everything looks different from their point of view.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Responding to only part of a wall of text is an appropriate use of the quote button. I'm talking more about this kind of thing.

Rikifive

Bringer of Happiness
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
Other
Ah you mean quoting the whole post ~ Then, yes, you're right, that's totally unnecessary. Not sure why I keep doing this ~ I guess that's a some kind of my automatic reaction.

___

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
_

Rikifive

Bringer of Happiness
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
Other
I remember getting hit by my allies often when playing as the warrior. I didn't take it well; I am a bad tempered gamer and not much fun to play with  :headshake: :guffaw: .

I absolutely agree about Diablo I being the best one in the trilogy, none of the others matched it's atmosphere and style. Diablo II had better multiplayer (no friendly fire and more space to manoeuvre) but it's single player wasn't as good and Diablo III was a massive disappointment in every way to me  :headshake: . Most people I've met seem to prefer either Diablo II or Diablo III and I've never come across someone who doesn't like Diablo III I was beginning to think I was the only one  :guffaw:
Exactly! The atmosphere was absolutely not the same. Also I loved the slower and more tactical gameplay that Diablo 1 has, not party everywhere and hope, that your equipment will save you, because there's no way to dodge anything.

I absolutely agree, that Diablo 3 was heavily disappointing ~ starting with the style/gameplay to extremely poor balancing, which made me hate this game. Also the fact, that 'leveling' is only a very background feature multiplies all that failure. To my surprise, I've got bored of that game extremely fast. Also Blizzard became very greedy and I don't like them anymore. Most of these bigger companies became greedy lately, so I'd rather support some indie developers, that deserves that more.

To be honest everybody were so hyped for it, so I also thought that there's something wrong with me, because I'm the only one who dislikes all of this.  :guffaw:

'Path of Exile' is much better than Diablo 3 in my opinion, because it's free and it's constantly updated with many new features, where Diablo 3 is stuck and when it comes to a nice update, then it's done via DLC, where you have to pay. I'm not that stupid, so that's why I'm avoiding these games.

That's very true about people worshipping graphics over gameplay. I feel exactly the same way; modern games seem to have very mundane gameplay. I used to get frustrated sometimes when friends would write off the games I liked on the basis that the graphics weren't pretty enough and would advocate games like Call of Duty  :guffaw: .

I grew up in an Apple household so we didn't have many options for games  :headshake: . I've been feeling nostalgic recently and am looking up old games. I'm trying to work my way through a roleplaying game called aGora: Soul of the Oracle at the moment and am hoping to play a couple of arcade style games called Slithereens and Boom through on cooperative play. You mentioned Undertale, I was interesting in playing that and Lisa: The Painful RPG as well.
I know that feeling. Sometimes my friends were like "What are you playing, this game looks so retarded lel" ~ at least my brother shares my interests and we're liking the same stuff, thus making local coop games EPIC!

I see ~ when it comes to nostalgic moments for me, then I'm looking for some NES or AMIGA games. Also I miss the days, where I had ATARI - now that was FABULOUS! when playing some funny games with family like 'Labyrinth'.  :guffaw:

I agree with that. I am similar, I enjoy escapism sometimes. I think that well written media that is made for children often has an optimism and morality that media that is made for adults often lacks. When I play old games or watch old films and TV shows it brings me back to the period in which they were made where today's problems don't exist and the problems of the past have long have long been solved.
Yup ~ sometimes there is a nice film or something, but most of the time, there's only hate in the TV.

Series? Most of them are that stupid, that I have no idea why they're aired in TV. Only problems, hate and argues all over the place are to be found there. Why do I need to watch this, when I can just come out and easily experience that IRL.

News? Politics? Kill it with fire ~ Sometimes I can't believe how stupid the humanity can be.

Watching that kind of stuff makes mind explode, so I just rather like watching some nice stuff and I think, that many people should learn from them due to obvious reasons.

I just signed up, I might not be able to finish anything in time but I'll try. It's probably end up being a weird mess but it takes a lot of pressure off seeing that many others don't always finish their games either.

I'll be interested in and look forward to playing whatever you make this time.  :)
Due to my new job I highly doubt I'll be able to finish anything, so probably I'll quickly write a script for a minigame and pretend it's a full game. Perhaps 'Flappy Eric' or an 'Arkanoid' game? =P

Good luck then! I'm also curious what you'll do there! ^^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Brother made thumbnails for my Lets Plays. He's a swood dude.
Since I'm getting so busy (the fact that I'm often here is due to the fact that this is my procrastination #1 destination), I'm trying a new system where everyday I dedicate 30 minutes to my personal game project. That way it won't fall into the abyss.
In today's seminar:
Presenter: In the past, there was a saying, "One who has tuberculosis is doomed for life." But now-
Everyone: *starts coughing in unision*
Gosh... Today seems too much like a good day to do nothing....

I need to keep myself focused...! :kaoback:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CRMA