A $1.00 Game

Discussion in 'Commercial Games Discussion' started by GoodSelf, Sep 14, 2016.

1. consolcwby

consolcwby (2015: afk...) 2018: BAK! :P Veteran

Somewhere the East Coast of the USA... i think...
    First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yes. It was called the 70s, and it was so groovy! You grok?

My childhood, so groovy it came with disco fever!

2. Yappy Monoxide

Yappy Monoxide The Yappiest Yap Yapp you will ever Yap Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    3:10 Back when Activision knew how to make good games.

kaukusaki and consolcwby like this.
  3. HexMozart88

HexMozart88 The Master of Random Garbage Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Aaahhh. I cringed within ten seconds of that video. "The electronic game of the future"?!?!?!?!?!?! Reasons why I can never watch any commercials older than the nineties....  :headshake:

4. consolcwby

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yes. It was the first console. So you disagree with consoles being THE electronic game of the future? Or is it Pong? Because I'll tell you - VR Pong IS the future! Just you wait! :p

kaukusaki, GoodSelf and IamGilgamesh like this.
  5. IamGilgamesh

IamGilgamesh Game Developer - Rapper Veteran

First Language:
    English
    1975Dungeon, TheGame of Dungeons, TheMoriaOrthanc1977

Oubliette1978Beneath Apple ManorDungeon CampaignSpace1979Akalabeth: World of DoomAvatarDungeonDungeon of DeathDunjonquest: Temple of ApshaiSpace IISuper DungeonWilderness Campaign

RPG's from the  70's. 

kaukusaki likes this.
  6. HexMozart88

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Nah. I love Pong. But, just... ugh! Seventies commercials are just... no! They're so cringe-y! 

I just realized exactly how far we're straying from topic here. Whoops. 

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2016
  7. consolcwby

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    To quell the off-topic I shall post within spoilers and be on topic here. (Sorry to my Op friend to have hijacked his thread a bit)

To sell a $1.00 game and be truly remembered, make it memorable, make it so people want more, make it so you can do a full blown sequel at full price.

Now, ot:

No, not all of them!

Spoiler

THIS.

And THIS.

And, finally, THIS.

Compared to this, WHAT ARE YOU TALKIN' ABOUT?! OKAY, THAT'S IT. YOU'RE FIRED!!!

aqua and GoodSelf like this.
  8. metronome

metronome Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (Sure!)
    Wait a minute, how are you going to sell it? I thought you cant put 1 usd price tag on steam....? 

9. GoodSelf

GoodSelf Zhu Li! Do the thing! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

If for some reason I come to a roadblock with pricing, ill just make it a "pay what you want" game

10. HexMozart88

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Wait... that's possible?

GoodSelf likes this.
  11. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've moved this thread to Commercial Discussion. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Also, please keep on topic, spoilers or no.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2016
  12. Matseb2611

Matseb2611 Innovate, don't emulate Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Not sure how I've missed this thread. Here are my two cents.

1. How long should a $1.00 game be? An hour? Less?

A lot of this will heavily depend on players. Some players will demand at least a fair few hours for $1, whilst others will be content even if it's a few minutes long. Normally with games that you charge any amount of money for, players would expect to be able to spend a fair amount of time on it. I bet you even if you made it $2-3, you'd get the same reception, regardless of what length you decide to make it. If I had to suggest a safe length, then at least an hour for $1 would be reasonable to aim for and should satisfy most players.

2. Would a short, story driven game work better? Or perhaps a rouge-like with replay value?

Both can be fine and it depends on what you're good at. Players will look at quality as well, so it needs to be of reasonably good quality. Some replay value would be great of course. Short, story-driven games usually fall down when it comes to replay value, unless you have a bit of choice and consequence in there and multiple endings for players to try out. Rogue-likes will likely keep players interested for longer, but only if it has fun mechanics. If they find it tedious and repetitive, they won't even play it to the end.

3. What would convince you to buy a short game for $1.00? What features would you like to see?

I am generally not too picky when it comes to games this cheap, but if I am to pay anything for the game, I'd expect to be hooked at least with something, either with the story premise, or the general atmosphere and presentation, or the fun game mechanics. So long as I see a fair amount of effort put into the game and it's the kind of genre and setting I enjoy, then I'll get it.

Hope this helps.

13. Yappy Monoxide

Yappy Monoxide The Yappiest Yap Yapp you will ever Yap Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Sorry @GoodSelf for hijacking away from the topic. I notice I do that a lot to good friends of mine who really don't deserve it. I going stop doing that from now on. 

Now on my honest opinion on this matter. If you're going to make a $1.00 game I suggest that you work hard on the story, the art, and the presentation/showcase. Similar to what everyone else is suggesting I think you should split the games and make them episodic, telling one part of the story each time. Similar to a telltale style game. (That's just what I think. if that's not what you want to do, do you what you want to do. It's your game after all. :] ) Now for graphics and showcase. You have to remember that it's one dollar. That's not really much but what people could spend that on. Putting the money towards another game, using it to buy food, etc. Think, What would make the consumer choose spend it on your product? That's what I think you should focus on. Make it look nice. Not saying like Over the top graphics since it's a one dollar game but better than the average rpg maker game. (I'm assuming your think about making this game with Rpg Maker Mv? Correct me if I'm wrong) Show screenshots, give em a demo, a trailer maybe. Do the best to make them say "Wow! This looks cool!" Those are my thoughts. 

As for my answers to your questions:

1. How long should a $1.00 game be? An hour? Less? | I think an hour and a half would be good. 

2. Would a short, story driven game work better? Or perhaps a rouge-like with replay value? | Perhaps a mix of both? Mainly story driven, but maybe a few extra things in the after along with a couple of side quests?

3. What would convince you to buy a short game for $1.00? What features would you like to see? | Like I said nice graphics, a demo etc. As for what I'd like to see, perhaps a nice twist on traditional RPG games that most don't do. Ex. Undertale with being able to spare monsters and dodge all attacks. Then again I'm not really that picky. Plus it's hard to think of innovative things for an rpg. One feature I can think of is perhaps having it be non-linear. Or breaking the fourth wall, I love when games do that. It gives off the feeling that you're not completely in control. 

14. GoodSelf

GoodSelf Zhu Li! Do the thing! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Matseb2611 and Yappy Monoxide like this.
  15. HexMozart88

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    A little more to add to this. 

1. How long should a $1.00 game be? An hour? Less?

Depends on the type of game you're making. Most of the dollar games I've played have been phone apps, but, hey, if you want to make an RPG for a dollar, go for it.  

2. Would a short, story driven game work better? Or perhaps a rouge-like with replay value?

How about you combine the two? Story driven game with replay value. 

3. What would convince you to buy a short game for $1.00? What features would you like to see?

It needs to be fun (obviously), it needs to be addictive, (like a time waster perhaps) and it needs to look appealing (Most dollar games I'd overlook because it usually means they're those cheap indie games that don't look like the creator tried very hard on, unless it actually looks like a fun game). 

16. Leon Kennedy

Leon Kennedy Restaff Novice Restaff

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    A one dollar game should be one minute long, nah jk that would be silly. Maybe a good 10+ minutes really depends on you, I've seen short games people probably wouldn't feel cheated if they spent a buck on it. Kinda like a what do you have to lose on the purchasers part but you will need lotsa buyers to make anything great as you probably know. Goodl luck though.

Marsigne likes this.
  17. Marsigne

Marsigne Sephiroth Veteran

First Language:
    Other
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    It's actually possible to have a game for .99 on Steam. Have a look at this game for example.

Susan likes this.
  18. metronome

metronome Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (Sure!)
    That's good to know.

Always thought that there is minimum game price amount to be sold there.

Marsigne likes this.
  19. somenick

somenick Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    For a $1 game it should be around 2 to 3 hours long.  Can be either story driven or roguelike.  Make sure to keep a reasonable quality (consistent art, dialogs with no typos if possible, cool items, and such).

20. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    I had the same idea for a start;

Do a free game, look at response, get on Greenlight and try to sell a 1$ game with not too much time on it but good looking and trying to have a good play and a good short story hoping to at least sell 150 copies with no refunds.  Then get serious and try a medium one with a big one on the side!

1-So...  I dunno, maybe an 1+hour, but not just because it is repetitive or too hard.

2-The rogue-like game with the replay value is a good bet.  But if story telling is your forte, you should include it.  With like 3 or 5 different ends depending of the players game path or in-game decisions.  On Steam, a good incitation would be achievement to all of them and card trade!  :D  

3-It is an indie game, made by a friend, it looks good, original and I would like to play it in my breaks or lunch!  ;)  

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2016
    Marsigne and Matseb2611 like this.