A $1.00 Game

Discussion in 'Commercial Games Discussion' started by GoodSelf, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Canini

Canini Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    I actually think a game for 1$ doesn´t have to be longer than two hours, tops. You can go into an arcade and burn through way more than that in half an hour!

2. metronome

metronome Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (Sure!)
    I think by now, there is conclusion we can agree upon:

It doesn't matter how much value a 60$-200$ game could get you, any human player in the world will always want the same value from 1$ (heck, free?) game if the chance is there.

In fact, some (or may be at least a few) of these players, would -strangely- become much more "critical" on 1$ game you make than they would on a 200$ game made by AAA company.

Just because a 15$ game would get you 15 hours of gameplay, doesn't mean 1$ game would run away with 1 hour of gameplay....

Marquise* likes this.
  3. Matseb2611

Matseb2611 Innovate, don't emulate Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @metronome: I think the whole players being much more critical of a $1 game only happens because of what the game is. A lot of Steam players get overly critical of RM games because they expect the worst. Many have the same attitude towards other games made in engines, such as Unity. But most of those players aren't really your target audience, so you can safely ignore them if all they spew out is hate and words such as "It's RPG maker, get it off Steam!"

Regarding the number of hours per buck, in my personal view, there is a sort of flat rate to begin with. I think no matter what you charge, all commercial games should give at least 1 hour of entertainment (my personal opinion; for other players this value might be different). After that the hours would be more or less proportional to the price, and eventually level off somewhere closer to $20. The reason for that is because you have to also look at the quality. An RM game will always be technically inferior to triple A games, so it should not have to cost as much as triple A games, because that competition is heavily one-sided. So at that point, I think even if your RM game is 60 hours long, it should not cost $60, because number of hours is not the only factor that should determine the price of a game. Moreover, number of hours will heavily differ from player to player. Some will explore everything in the game, whilst others will just rush along through the main story and that's it.

Marquise* likes this.
  4. somenick

somenick Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Matseb2611

@metronome

Yeah but there is still some merit to the $1 = 1 hour of gameplay.  A lot of the flame war on reddit around No Man's Sky include this argument.  Sure, an RPG Maker game probably wont sell above $15 or so even if it has 100 hours.  But it certainly should probably not have less than 15 hours.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2016
    Marquise* likes this.
  5. cabfe

cabfe Cool Cat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    While value and hours of gameplay are tied to some extent, they are by no means a rule.

A good game does *not* need to be at least <insert number here> hours long. The quality of a game is independent from its duration.

I've actually played games that should have been made shorter because it became a drag, or repetitive.

I know that some people only look at the hours counter, but it's the same as only looking at the graphics of a game and say "it's a masterpiece!" even though you've never actually played it.

A game is more than the sum of its parts, and a lot more than only one part of it :)

6. DTracy3

DTracy3 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Luxembourgish
    I believe a 1 dollar game works best on games that build up on one simple mechanic like an endless runner, puzzle games or something like angry bird. It's much faster to program than a rpg with story and tones of characters, but if done right, it's still an enjoyable game^^

Marquise* likes this.
  7. rue669

rue669 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I suppose if you had a series of games you could make the first cost $1 as an incentive to get people to buy and play it. Then, if they enjoy the first, they'll play the next ones in the series, which you could charge full price, which the player will pay for if they liked the first one.

Say you had a trilogy, part 1 is $1 and the next two cost more. It could be used as an incentive. 

Marquise* likes this.
  8. cabfe

cabfe Cool Cat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    That's often the case with episodic games. The first chapter is launched at a discounted price, but buying the remaing episodes costs more than buying the full season at once.

It's almost like paying for a demo though...

Marquise* likes this.
  9. Lymmet

Lymmet the Oddborne Veteran

First Language:
    Norwegian
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    subjective opinion I guess. Maybe a minigame or something like that? I'd rather include a couple of hours of gameplay with good replayability opportunities.

Marquise* likes this.
  10. SinSilver

SinSilver Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I honestly wouldn't make a game and sell it for $1.00. I thought  about it once upon a time but decided against it. My original idea was to create a game with an nice amount of length and content to it but then decided to make a shorter version of my game first to release for free. This way you can many people to check out your game, get a feel what people are looking for while also getting your name out there. 

I would rather get maximum exposure than make a few cents off a game I put hours of work into.

Canini likes this.
  11. Roninator2

Roninator2 Gamer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Your experience of game playing is perhaps smaller but none the less valued. 

I have owned and played on Colecovision, Atari 2600, Atari 6400, NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Gameboy, SMS, Sega 32, Sega CD, Turbo Graphics 16, Xbox, Xbox 360, PS1, PS2, PS3. But my computer is most active currently. I have to say though, from the older systems; I enjoyed NES best. I played over 200 titles in one year. Most of them rentals. With the favorites as Dragon Warrior series, Final Fantasy (NES), Chrono trigger, Secret of Mana, Robotrek (SNES).

What matters is that we are all hear because we love games, and like to make our own. I dream of making commercial games, but I'm quite far from reaching that goal when comparing what I have made to what is on the market for sale. Plus I am doing everything myself in my spare time.

@IamGilgamesh Those old games are too basic for me to get through. I loved Ultima Exodus (NES), but I tried the first one and I was lost. So going older is not always best for me. Although it's possible I liked that game because of the game genie codes? ;)  (I had found one that gave all your characters 255 points to put towards stats).

But as far as this thread goes, I have a game I'm currently selling for $3.00 free because I think it's not all that great compared to titles on the market now. But it's a full game that can take anywhere from 6 hours to 20 hours to finish, depending on what you do (exploring). I cannot mention where to get it or what it's called in this thread. Now that it is free I can say that it can be downloaded from my website. Just look at my profile.

If I was to get a publisher to put it on steam then I imagined that it would be $1.00. Free.

This has not happened yet as I'm trying to find testers. Many people are happy to take your game and give minor input just so that they can get the game for free. But I have played my own game multiple times and I keep finding things to correct/improvements to make. Every time I think it's good, along comes another spelling mistake or words cut off on the text box, etc...

Should you sell for $1.00? Price is subjective to enjoyment is it not? People will have different tastes. Some will pay $5.00, others will think it's too much for what is offered.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2016
    Marquise* likes this.