A Beginner's Guide To Cutscenes

Valentor Denesto

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I've always had to edit my opening cutscenes around my character sprite. I completely forgot about the transparency option in the database. Just that little tip will change so much. Thank you!

CrankyOrc

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ah thank you! Very helpful. I was trying to create a cutscene and it kept looping. Your explanation on Switches was great, I appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
How do I go about causing a chase AI? I mean, I want another actor in the hero's team to run toward him, but I want her to appear from somewhere other than the event square the hero walks on. I know how to set a path for her once I know how to trigger from a separate location, but I need to know how to trigger her in the first place.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
but I need to know how to trigger her in the first place.
Switches
I suggest you work through the basic tutorials (follow the link in my signature to them), because switches are the very basic of eventing, and you need to learn and understand them before you can do anything more complex.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Switches

I suggest you work through the basic tutorials (follow the link in my signature to them), because switches are the very basic of eventing, and you need to learn and understand them before you can do anything more complex.
Will do, but can I at least accomplish something like that with advanced knowledge? Or is that just not a possible event?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Will do, but can I at least accomplish something like that with advanced knowledge? Or is that just not a possible event?
Yes, it is possible - but switches are not considered advanced knowledge, they're considered basic knowledge because you can't do anything more complex than a "go there" without switches.

Tigersong

Furry Fellow
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Now I feel foolish. Live and learn, I guess. Speaking of, is there a way of inserting a new command between existing ones? If not I'll just change the transparency on the next map.

Inmento Riku

Angel of Darkness/Demon of Light
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Sarcasm
Primarily Uses
So reading all the comments above and even the beginning post, it helped me answer so many questions.

However....just a quick question that adds onto this..

Is it possible to import a video and have that play?

>If commenter chooses yes
>Have them explain

>If commenter chooses no
>Look elsewhere

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That is what the "Play movie" event command is about...

Inmento Riku

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Sarcasm
Primarily Uses
That is what the "Play movie" event command is about...
So if I had the main character enter a town, and then wished to have it play that specific movie I imported, is there anything more to it?

Or do I just need to do the main things that you'd usually do when importing and using videos?

Hierophant

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French/English
Primarily Uses
I'm trying to make a cut-scene of ship travel. I get how to do all of it except move the ship. I can't seem to associate the player with the ship (the "board vehicle" command doesn't seem to work, or I don't know how to use it) in order to move it. 

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I can't seem to associate the player with the ship (the "board vehicle" command doesn't seem to work, or I don't know how to use it) in order to move it.
The player has to be standing next to the vehicle and facing it to be able to board it - the command only replaces the action button in a situation where boarding is possible.
If you need more help than that, please make a new topic with screenshots of your events.

Hierophant

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French/English
Primarily Uses
Okay, I'm not sure why you want a screenshot of something this simple, but here it is.

Inmento Riku

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Sarcasm
Primarily Uses
Okay, I'm not sure why you want a screenshot of something this simple, but here it is.

Screen shots are needed so we can see if you missed something or what not. I've never seen the teleport command but I assume it works like the transfer command. Also your teleport command doesn't seem to be associated with anything or anyone..

I'm not sure how I can help as I'm not using anything like vehicles/boats but I think it might be the double switch in the teleport command. You have the same switch on twice. Maybe try making it the player or the boat/airship?

Edit 1: Try defining the movement of the ship first and then the player...

Last edited by a moderator:

Hierophant

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French/English
Primarily Uses
Which switch? I'm not using any switches.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The screenshot shows where you made an error - but the solution is no longer needed because we don't support pirated versions here.

charmergirl2468

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ummm, is there anyway for an event thing that makes characters move simultaneously instead of one-by-one?

I'm having trouble of making characters move at the same time on the project I'm working on ^^'

Voxgizer

Ninja Turtle
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm glad to see this thread has helped some folks. 

Thank you, Andar for keeping it going while I was gone.  :D

Knuckles

N00B
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Can I start with a black screen and then feature the background without the player being involved?

Like, here is what I wrote so far:

Screenshot 2014-02-01 21.03.23.png
I haven't done to much work with this, but I was trying the same thing.

But have you tested the fadein? cause I think there may be an issue with the Actor still being visible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Working on Zelda-like tileset. Should be greatly refined. And tonight extra pave tiles, outward corners, abyss and water...
Is it possible to move posts from the in-progress project forum to completed games? I think I need to message a mod but a bit worried about bothering them
Bleeding Moons has its release date: September 3rd!
Do you stick with the RM default, or set a custom one?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaezyelnatz