A certain writers block: Do you have trouble making original ideas?

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by 1ce, Jan 6, 2019.

1. 1ce

1ce Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Lately I seem to be in a slump. No matter whether I'm drawing or storytelling or making games, I have stuck with sequels and remakes for the last few years. It feels like as I get older the amount of work to create new characters and settings is such a hassle, so I stick to the stuff I know. I worry that I'm staying in my comfort zone.

Anyone else had this problem?

2. Danitinkis

Danitinkis Deadly and sexy Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah, as you get older you lose you creativity. For example, I've practically lost my capability of dreaming at 17 yr old.

kaukusaki likes this.
  3. samkfj

samkfj Bug Powder Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Honestly--I can't agree with that statement.

I haven't lost any creativity, in fact--I feel getting older has increased my capacity for being more creative.

Sure--there is the occasional block, but what I do is concentrate on other things in the meantime. For instance, let's say am havin' trouble with how I want a map to look. I'll move to sprites. Say the sprites are coming along slowly, okay--I'll move to music. Say the music is starting to get old--I'll go work on the script--and it continues from there.

For me, just staying active and contributing a little each day is enough to spark ideas for other things. Also, speaking with others on the forum helps. I don't mean precisely asking for ideas--I mean just talking and making conversation; but yes, others on this forum might be willing to help in many aspects. I am always willing to help where I can.

Now--if you feel your comfort zone is not being challenged enough--and you're aware of that... just challenge it, little by little, stone by stone.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  4. artoni

artoni Writer, Editor Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'd argue against that.

Sequels aren't necessarily less creative, nor is using established characters; if you believe so, please go ahead and inform the community that creates tons of fanworks, eg, fanfiction, fanart, etc. Derivative content is common and, in many cases, respected; look at the multitude of works inspired by Sherlock Holmes.

Sometimes you just don't have the drive to try and reinvent the wheel. But you keep rolling anyway.

BadLittleSeed and samkfj like this.
  5. l8rose

l8rose Neeeeerd Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm still as creative as I was twenty years ago. Heck, I'd even say I'm more creative now. I still suffer from the occasional "artist's block" but it's usually when I draw as I often sit down to draw without a plan so I end up blanking on what I actually want to draw.

I've had writer's block plenty of times, and usually just move to a different portion of what I'm writing. I don't write linearly at all any more. It does lead to a lot of rewrites as I go but I end up with something that I genuinely like as opposed to what feels like I'm dragging myself through mud.

For original stuff, it's pretty much whatever I find inspiring and then snowball it out from there. Sometimes it's just a simple thing that I think would be interesting. Sequels are the same thing to me. Those are just chances for me to expand on existing characters or just the world in general.

If you're having problems coming up with something new, don't be afraid to look out into other mediums you enjoy. Reading, watching tv/movies, playing games. If it inspires something, even something small, that is a start to something new.

BadLittleSeed, 1ce and samkfj like this.
  6. Uzuki

Uzuki Kawaii on the streets, Senpai in the sheets Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Might be best to step back and take a breather for a while. When I feel burnt out I do other hobbies or catch up on stuff. You might even be inspired by something on your break. Another thing that aspires me is playing, reading, or watching something with potential but it doesn't live up to it or fully flesh out an idea. The game I'm working on now was inspired by an old NES RPG and fleshing out and adding on to what it did.

BadLittleSeed, 1ce and samkfj like this.
  7. Lornsteyn

Lornsteyn Sleepy Dragon Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    I have some problems coming up with a good story currently.
    Forcing a story isnt a good idea so I will patiently think about my game until a good idea decides to appear.
    While waiting I map some locations I probably will use in my game, editing ressis, try improving pixel skills etc.

samkfj likes this.
  8. kaukusaki

kaukusaki Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    That block hit you hard?
    Story Structure Architect by Victoria Lynn Schmidt & Plots Unlimited by Tom Sawyer and Arthur David Weingarten are your best friends. I roll some dice and see what insane combos i get.
    With 54 situations and 1,462 conflict situations making over 200,000 possible plot combinations, you can get unstuck and get around it.

As for do i have a hard time coming up with new ideas? I actually don't but depending on what assignment i take on i might need to crank out "original" work faster XD

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    1ce likes this.
  9. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I don't believe my creativity fades as I age (at least around my age), if anything, my standard went higher faster than I could catch up with my creativity. The one I used to be "This is cool and good enough" becomes "Eh, but there're plot holes left and right". I have practically better than I used to be in the past by the term of coming up with the ideas and self-critique.

I can't say much on the matter as I still tend to revise my story a lot. But what I did is just screw all of those, and did something else. Like watching some shows or play games. And casually thought about the story when I have the chance. I don't put it under pressure. If I haven't get the idea yet, I continue to screwing around.

kaukusaki, Kyuukon and samkfj like this.
  10. dulsi

dulsi Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I've participated in National Novel Writing Month multiple times. One of the things I like about it is that you don't have time to second guess your self. The days are ticking away and you need to get that word count. Any plot holes or errors can be fixed in the second draft.

To a large degree I view video games the same way. Many video games are not as much fun in their first iteration. It is over time you refine the experience. Granted for a story heavy rpg most of that refinement might be done before you build a lot in Rpg Maker. In the postmortem of Half-Life, the developers talked about how the game was nearly complete before they decided it wasn't that good. Instead of releasing they created a new level taking the best ideas from all the levels. They found it more fun and redid all the levels in the game.

11. Ryisunique

Ryisunique Detective, AUEI Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    It's kinda the reason why I haven't been finishing my own original stories. It's easier to predict and guide characters I already know and watch so I can worry about the plot instead. I stick to writing an AU for a TV show, or a new story for a movie is easier for me when I don't have to worry about how to make someone new react to something new as well.

I mean, you could always focus on creating one new aspect. Take a character you're familiar with and stick them in a new place, or a new character in an old one. Control one thing and create the rest new. Keep things small. One-shots, drabbles. Work back into epics and long stories.

1ce likes this.
  12. joombo

joombo Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks for tips. Unfortunately writing is now my strong suit. Each time I have to apply to WriteMyEssayOnline service to finish my essay on time. To get some inspiration I read some interesting articles. Sometimes it helps. But anyway I prefer reading to writing.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019 at 11:07 PM