Zedros

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm planning on making a game where the protagonist is colorblind and that the player would see everything the way he sees it. I'd make levels and such (Dungeons, Puzzles, etc...) where his colorblindness would be the challenge.

Is there anything people can recommend like plugins and such that could help simulate this.

empresskiova

Untitled Project1
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The only thing I can think of is changing the assets so that the everything is in whatever variation of color blindness the MC is.

Darkanine

...In my thoughts and in my dreams...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Finn in Adventure Time was colorblind. What they did there to make it a challenge for him was he often couldn't follow instructions when it came to color (he saw an emerald as a ruby in one episode) since people didn't really know of his affliction, so puzzles like that could work.

As for plugins, I think you'd mostly just need to manually recolor tiles and sprites and the like, but I think this plugin could be helpful for swapping tiles.

ChipTato

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It really depends, is the character fully colorblind or is he not able to see a certain color spectrum? If he only sees in black and white, it might be a whole lot easier to tint the screen gray with an event
If he's color blind in certain color spectrums then you might need to recolor the tiles. Tho in photoshop you can do this easily by deleting one of the color channels (not sure how accurate it is to a colorblind person)

If you want to switch "color blind mode" in game, you could have the same exact format of tilesets and switch it around through events whenever it changes

EthanFox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Bear in mind you'll need to do a fair bit of research on this; colourblindness is quite complex. I used to work with a guy who had a severe version of it, but there are multiple versions, some of which are so mild that many people only find out when they get tested (like if they were never tested, they might never know).

I recommend watching this:

Regardless, the easiest way to do it will be not with a plugin, but rather to go in Photoshop and rework your tiles/sprites, then swap them in-game.

It's an interesting idea though; make sure you post about your progress because I'd love to see how it works out.

rue669

RueToYou
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I dunno if I can recommend any plugins, but I'd recommend this game: Return of the Zombie King.

You can see this article about it which talks about the developer who is colorblind and how he tried to incorporate that in the game. The article can be found here:

Hyouryuu-Na

Very very lazy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@rue669 Wow that looks wonderful!
@Zedros You can use screen filter plugins to change how the colours appear... I'd recommend Tsukimi's filter plugin. But you can also recolor the timesets and sprites...
Also, there was a game made with vx ace called the god of crawling eyes. Idk if it's colorblindness but the protagonist can only see red and no other colour.

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Just as a heads-up, this kind of thing is best accomplished through the use of a Shader which runs on your graphics card (rather than on your CPU proper) and changes the output of any color based on whatever rules you set. Several other game-making engines support shaders which might make them better options if the display of colors is a significant aspect of your game. MV (and other RPG Makers) do not natively support Shaders, although you might be able to find or commission a PIXI plugin that does similar things.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Today we be doing an unscheduled stream! Lets get some work done on the titlescreen for Lightestone! <3
www.twitch.tv/riazey
I can't believe it... my mom is going to sign me up for the Planet Fitness down the street! I need to lower my cholesterol according to my doctor, and I'll need to lose some weight to fit into Helen Henny's skirt (I ordered a skirt for my mascot outfit and realized it was a bit too small). My doctor says I need to lose weight anyway.
I blame my lilest bro for the duck suit. Sketched it and realized it had to be added to a mock fashion magazine cover. The titles are actually inside jokes about the place this NPC is from.
EvKECQJVEAw3Qux
Kes
After a few hectic months, my hiatus is over, and I'm now back. Good to see so many familiar names posting. And a forum update while I was away.
V1.3 of Demo, a new concept artist on the team, character voices are coming into light more... I'm happy to say that the fangame is making good progress.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Torcham