A Comic's Tale (Demo)

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by Haydeos, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Haydeos

Haydeos The Dragon Veteran

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]

Edmund Burke once said "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

Enter into a world that blends real life with fantasy as you follow a dead-beat comedian in his quest to save the planet!

Start your quest in the small town of Pundale. After a long day of vermin extermination, you go to sleep with dreams of becoming famous, only to be awoken by a large earthquake disturbing the town, followed by an invasion of the undead!

It is up to you and your small group of companions to find out the cause of this villainy, and put a stop to it before it's dark deeds spread across the land!

Explore the world across crazy landscapes, strange monsters, and powerful magics. Enlist the help of your old friends, as well as new acquaintances, your family, and even some famous comedians as they teach you the tricks of the trade! Make your name known throughout the land as a comedian, goofball, skilled warrior, and 'savior'!

It usually takes me about 20 minutes to play through the demo portion (rushed record is 12 minutes), but of course I know what I'm doing, so it may take you a bit longer.

No random encounters, you'll see the mobs that you'll fight, and you can avoid a fair bit of them if you wish.

I tried to make a fair balance between the easy bits and difficult bits. The fights should hopefully transition from just pressing attack at the start, to requiring a bit more strategy later on, especially with the boss at the end.
    [​IMG]

These are just the ones whom you control in the demo.

Pat (The Main Character):

[​IMG]

A Rat Killer and self proclaimed funny-man...He always tries to do what's right...despite being a bit lazy. This is his story!
    Sake (The Hunter):

[​IMG]

An old hunter, who's taking it easy with his pseudo-retirement job as Manager of Extermi-Core in Pundale. English isn't his first language, as he's from the foreign city of Tikutar. A very laid back individual, despite once being a very ferocious fighter.
    Christianna (The Nurse):

[​IMG]

A friend of Pat since they were both young. She often grows bored of living at home, but she loves her father too much to disobey his wishes and leave. She's a registered nurse who knows how to heal effectively. She's also pretty good with a bo-staff
    Jordan (The Scrapper):

[​IMG]

Another friend of Pat, despite his seemingly lack of interest in talking to him. Jordan spends his days exploring outside the village.

He's quiet, yet experienced about the world around him. Jordan has no interest in magic, as he prefers splitting things open with an ax.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2015
  2. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I was exploring the town and it crashed twice because of missing audio files.  The details are:

When I go to enter the Inn/Pub it crashes with the error message:

Unable to find file Audio/BGM/Town7

I go to enter the Guild(?) building (it’s the one NW of the well, next to the weapon shop) and this time it’s missing the file Audio/BGM/Town3.

As I think that the second building is the one where Pat's boss is and I need to speak to him to progress the game, I'm stuck until there's a fresh upload.

3. Haydeos

First Language:
    English
    dang, I deleted the excess music files. I made a list of the ones I use and those two were on that list, but I still managed to mess up and deleted them anyways...

Re-uploaded! should be good.

Also: encrypted it.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2015
  4. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Here is my feedback.  I wrote these notes as I went along, so they are a bit impressionistic, but probably give more detail than if they were tidied up into a more formal style.  I'll give the Overall Assessment at the end.

It helps to use the common terminology, saves confusion.  I noticed from the credits spoiler that you refer to ‘Textures’.  For RPGMaker resources, they are known as ‘tiles’.

I had to turn all sound off a few minutes after starting because I could not bear that typing sound effect for every letter.  It quickly became deeply irritating.  Could I suggest that you make this an option for the player?  This is a feature which has been discussed on a couple of threads, and the general consensus is that it is much better optional than obligatory.

House next door to Pat’s i.e. the one with the Captain in it.  You can see that the oven and work surface do not sit very nicely against the wall.  The same with the bed.  This is a standard problem with the graphics, and it comes from the way they are aligned on the default tile sheets.  However, if you look at this thread you will see that the guy has rearranged them so that they sit so much better.  I think it would be worth while considering using his tiles.  Yes, you will have to re-map some of your objects, but I think you will find that the end result is a great deal better.

The tile set up for getting into the bedroom looks a bit messy.  You can see the ends of the roof beam either side of the tile which forms the overhead part.  Ideally you want that to look one single beam.  So shift-click map the 2 tiles either side of the opening.  If you are unsure of what that means, have a look at this tutorial.   It’s an essential skill.  For the middle tile, create a middle section tile in GIMP or similar and put it on a B-E sheet.  Set it to ‘star’ passability and put it on the door space.  The actor will now just walk underneath it.

I go down the stairs in the Captain’s house and I get a dialogue with Pat’s boss – but as far as I can see he is not there.  I assume that this should only happen when Sake is with me.  I would suggest that you either put a conditional on the stairs (Sake is in the party) which stops me going down there too soon or put the conditional (same condition) in the transfer event with the dialogue as part of that once the transfer has been carried out.  The ‘Else’ bit would just allow Pat to go down to the basement, but nothing else.

In the pub, after I’ve told my 2 jokes, I can walk off the stage which is supposed to be higher than the floor.  I think it’s the priority you’ve put on the last page of the joke event.  As I can walk over the stools, it was only the earlier pages which stopped me walking off earlier.

The description of the Girls Fighting Dirty doesn’t fit into the space available in the Item Menu.  I saw a thread this last week about this problem; don’t remember what the answer was, but a quick hunt should bring it up.  It was started by a guy called Shinma.  The clock in Sake’s house is actually a 2 tile high wall clock, not a floor clock.  I find it odd that Pat is ransacking Sake’s house, but Sake says nothing.  This could be a great opportunity for some repartee.

Now when I go downstairs I don’t get the dialogue with Sake.  That is because I assume it was on autorun with a self switch.

After the first battle with the zombie I went back to my house to try and heal up (I noticed that sleeping had not healed me after the rat fights, which surprised me, so I had started a less than full health)  When I came back out the 2 zombie were once more in position and I could see Jordan’s sprite by the entrance to the town.  I couldn’t get past them, so doubled back around the other side of the house and up to the inn that way. 

Into the Inn and the game crashes with the error message

Can’t find file

Graphics/Battlebacks1/Wood1

As I reckon I must be pretty close to the end of the demo, I’ll do the feedback based on what I’ve seen so far.

Overall Assessment

There are indications that this could be an interesting and unusual story.  The demo is too short to have any firm opinion and as mentioned in the main text, there were a couple of opportunities for dialogue between the characters which could have been taken and which would start fleshing out their personalities and the relationships between them.  The writing is good, and I didn't spot any typos, grammatical errors or spelling mistakes.  Well done, such a relief!  There were a couple of places where the text just starts to run over the edge of the right side of the text box, so you might want to do a bit more adjustment to that.

Mapping is somewhat variable.  Some maps are really quite good e.g. upstairs in the inn; others are a bit rudimentary e.g. the Captain's house which has that big blank space.  You have given the outside of his house 2 chimneys, (does any house that size need 2?) yet inside there is no fireplace.  I'd reduce the size of his house considerably and re-arrange things a bit to get rid of that space, I wouldn't just fill it up with assorted junk and clutter.

Battles were fine, and I liked the animations you have given the hero sprites.  What I did find a bit disconcerting what the way the screen moved from side to side as actions were being selected.  I do these initial level battles quite fast and ended up feeling a bit sea sick.  I had to slow down so that the movement was not so constant and abrupt.  Obviously this is going to be a matter of personal taste and preference, and you need more than just feedback from one person, but I flag it up as a potential concern.

Again a matter of personal preference, possibly.  I wonder about having the pop up telling me to interact with things.  It does take away a bit from the fun of exploration when success is notified in advance.  The same with the sparkle used from time to time.  I just query whether maybe you are doing just a little bit too much hand holding here.

Overall this shows a lot of promise, but is somewhat rough at the edges at the moment.  One of the skills of making a game is anticipating what the player might do differently from your way of playing it.  The problems arising from me going down the Captain's stairs too soon and going back to my house and so triggering the appearance of the zombies and Jordan again are typical of what can happen.  Constantly ask yourself what different order might a player do something in.

Good luck with your project.

5. Haydeos

First Language:
    English
    Thanks for the feedback! It's important that I get people to tell me things that I don't think about :D

Made a checklist from your post & fixed all the immediate bugs. Then I playtested it all again to make sure no more bugs popped up.

6. Haydeos

First Language:
    English