Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Two things:

I often come across topics that have a "necro post", where someone has posted after the 30 day limit, and then a mod gets on and informs them that necro posts are not allowed. Most forums just close the topic after the alloted time limit, so that you can still view the post, but can't add new comments. I'm pretty sure all modern forum software has a simple option for this. So why not just use that? It would save time for mods to not have to explain a rule that could just be auto-enforced. And if a user has some legit reason to re-open an old post, then just let them do it by reporting the post and asking to re-open it.

Also, 30 days seems a little short. I know you have to draw the line somewhere, but I feel like 30 days doesn't make practical sense, and was chosen because of the way the moon works. I would go with 90 days. Still arbitrary, but less restrictive. Give people a little more wiggle room.

The other thing is that annoying automated message that's generated when mods move your post from one category to another. We've all seen it a million times:

I've moved this thread to [some other forum]. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

I don't think this automated message is trying to sound rude, but it does. I don't know, it just comes off as... snippity. Is that a word, snippity? You know what I mean. It rubs me the wrong way, and I know I'm not the only one. It's a small detail, but I think it's details like this that separate communities that feel fun and helpful from ones that feel toxic. I would change it to something like:

This thread has been moved to [some other forum].

and just leave it at that. No one is intentionally posting in the wrong forum, and I really doubt that telling them to do it correctly next time is actually helping anything.

For the record, I don't think that this community is toxic AT ALL! I think it is one of the most helpful and generous communities I've been a part of. I only mention these two minor details because they seem like things that would be super easy to change, and because I have insomnia and can't think of anything better to do.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Also, 30 days seems a little short. I know you have to draw the line somewhere, but I feel like 30 days doesn't make practical sense, and was chosen because of the way the moon works.
what you're missing here is the place where the necro rule is enforced, because it is only enforced in the support forums. In the presentation-type forums you'll never get any topic closed, no matter how old it is.

The support forums are for specific questions and specific problems to be solved. No one should ever continue or hijack a topic from someone else there because even if an error message seem to be similar to the inexperienced user, the cause for the problem is usually very different. Mixing up the details from different causes in the same topic is always confusing.

so no one should ever continue the problem topic of someone else, and if the original poster did not continue within 30 days then we can and will assume that he has solved the problem.

And under that context, 30 days is rather long in my opinion.

Last edited:

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Two things:

For the record, I don't think that this community is toxic AT ALL! I think it is one of the most helpful and generous communities I've been a part of. I only mention these two minor details because they seem like things that would be super easy to change, and because I have insomnia and can't think of anything better to do.

For the necroposting rule, it is something we can't change because of what Andar said better. But changing the move to be a lot less snippity sounding is no problem! :kaoluv:

Finnuval

Old Raven following Rainbows
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I've moved this thread to [some other forum]. Please be sure to post your threads in
I think its the 'next time' that makes it sound a little...eh.

Removing that would solve the issue i think xD

Edit : the addition of next time makes it sound more personal and less automated message it that makes sense.

Last edited:

ScorchedGround

Blizzards most disappointed fan (More than ever)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Have to agree with the automated messages.
Though it does not really bother me personally, I can see why people could find the automated messages a little iffy.

I know they are supposed to sound "polite", but it can easily be interpreted as passive-aggressive, like:

"Listen up, you screwed up with your thread again, so now I have to clean up your mess, so could you please turn on your brain next time and not screw up again"

(Obviously, this was greatly exaggerated but you get the point :kaophew:)

I think a simple "This thread was moved to X" would suffice to make it a neutral alert.

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hey, we already resolved this and there's no more need to keep pointing it out. Closing this now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Worked on a cutscene skip domino effect using Maker Systems' script as the basis. Basically if I have a batch of cutscenes in a row on different maps, now when you skip one cutscene it will skip the entire set. No more spamming X to skip a scene every new map.

Oh and it will work regardless of where you do it from in the set. Convenient!
seems absolutely WILD to me now all the hundreds of hours of work I used to do in 2k(3) over a decade ago with a resolution of 320x240. that seems so insanely TINY now, seemed so normal at the time!
Playing Aroma Indosiar theme song.
Aroma is an Indonesian TV show about cooking. :)
Working on a characteeer! (Why is it so hard to color hair?) ;-;
Silly-Sketches.png
Just finished eventing a couple simple puzzles in RMMV, for my very first game "Sample Quest." Just messing around, throwing things together, and calling it a story XD On a non-RM note, got my hair cut today!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IntoTheDrink