Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So instead of making a thread on each of these, I figured it'd be more efficient to lump them together despite their unrelated-ness.
  1. Thematically speaking, which element is best suited for MDF (magic defense)? Either in the sense of buffing it or utilizing it.
    • I've narrowed it down to either: Ice, Lightning, Wind, or Water
  2. Does a "Frost Fever" spell (inflicts Chill effect on the target and will spread to adjacent targets) seem more like a hybrid Frost/Shadow spell or would it make more sense as a pure Frost spell?
  3. What should I name my DEF & MDF stats?
    • Armor & Resist/Resistance
    • Constitution & Willpower
In my game, DEF does the following:
  • Increases Max HP by 1 per point
  • Reduces physical damage taken
  • Reduces chance to receive a Critical Strike (critical evasion)
  • Increases Block chance with a shield
And MDF does the following:
  • Increases Max MP by 1 per point
  • Reduces magical damage taken
  • Increases healing (recovery rate) received
  • Increases spell resist (magic evasion) chance
Please take the above into account when answering question #3. My dilemma is that it works out nicely on equipment if I name it Armor/Resist, but not so much if I name it Constitution/Willpower. However, if I name it Armor/Resist, it doesn't make sense that they increase Max HP/MP (which I really want to keep).

Edit: Don't feel pressured to answer everything, I'd appreciate any help I can get, thank you.

Last edited:

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
which elemaent suits MDF, all magic related skills,

Frost Fever spell more likely 1 target, high change on freeze or increase freeze dmg
during the duration of the spell alone.

Frost Spread or another name to multiple targets (if you ask me)

How should you name DEF and MDF? that is highly up to you that is suited for your game.
can be anything you like.

naming DEF and MDF can be different per armor or per armor seller how they call it.
can be in the region you go they call it differently, but most common is "Resistence",
but while it is your game, you decide it :)

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
which elemaent suits MDF, all magic related skills,
I mean like how Earth spells typically buff DEF, I was wondering which element would tend to buff MDF?

I do have Frost Fever as a single target skill that Chills the target. It just has a chance of spreading while the debuff is on like a disease (*cough* COVID-19 lol). The name can be w/e, I'm not really worried about that. I just wanted to get people's opinions on whether it fits more like a hybrid Frost/Shadow spell or a pure Frost spell. (I have this thing called Spellweaving in my game where you unlock certain mixed-element spells if you meet the requirements)

naming DEF and MDF can be different per armor or per armor seller how they call it.
How do you name the stats differently between different sellers? What would happen after you buy the item and look at its stats in your inventory?

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Thematically speaking, which element is best suited for MDF (magic defense)? Either in the sense of buffing it or utilizing it.
Ice and lightning

Does a "Frost Fever" spell (inflicts Chill effect on the target and will spread to adjacent targets) seem more like a hybrid Frost/Shadow spell or would it make more sense as a pure Frost spell?
I don't even know what "shadow" element is, so, pure Frost is alright.

What should I name my DEF & MDF stats?
Endurance and Perserverance.
Strength and Mind

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ice and lightning
Thank you, I had a feeling it was going to end up being one of those 2.

I don't even know what "shadow" element is, so, pure Frost is alright.
Opposite of Holy, Dark, Death, or w/e you wanna call it. I only considered it because it's a disease, which seems kinda dark to me, but I think your right. It makes more sense as pure Frost. If it weren't for the current pandemic, I don't think this spell would've been in my game lol.

ScorchedGround

Blizzards most disappointed fan
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I personally like would go with either water or ice to be honest.
Lightning seems a little too "violent" to be a resistance stat.

And when it comes to naming the stats, it really comes down to if you want the stats
to reflect more on the characters or on the equipment.

Willpower for example is better suited to define a character trait rather than some piece of cloths property.

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
And when it comes to naming the stats, it really comes down to if you want the stats
to reflect more on the characters or on the equipment.
Yea that's precisely my predicament. I don't want players going like "Why does this breastplate increase my Constitution & Willpower?"... Or on the other end of the spectrum "Why does Armor & Resistance increase my Max HP/MP?"...

Edit: Maybe I should end up calling DEF/MDF as Constitution/Resistance? Still doesn't make sense for "Resistance" to increase MP though.

ScorchedGround

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't want players going like "Why does this breastplate increase my Constitution & Willpower?"... Or on the other end of the spectrum "Why does Armor & Resistance increase my Max HP/MP?"...
I am not sure if I am the majority on this or not, but I personally don't really care if either of these were the case. Unless the equipment and character stats are strictly involved in the storytelling and the worldbuilding and only serve as a gameplay mechanic for character progression, I wouldn't complain.

I would probably just think "oh neat, this armor not only boosts my defenses, but also my HP" instead of thinking "why would this armor boost my HP? time to deinstall this game".

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
different armor boost different DEF:

Fire Armor boost fire restance or immunity to it.
can also skill related.

Earth Shield boost MDF and halve earth dmg gain, but doubles water or other skills.
Frost Shield can block water/ice spells or halve, triple the dmg gain,
while fire doubles/triple the dmg to it.

but there are so many ways yo ucan go with it.

Choose the path that fits best to your game.

TheoAllen

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Opposite of Holy, Dark, Death, or w/e you wanna call it. I only considered it because it's a disease, which seems kinda dark to me, but I think your right. It makes more sense as pure Frost. If it weren't for the current pandemic, I don't think this spell would've been in my game lol.
For thematic purposes, you may choose whatever you may like.
But for me personally, anything that doesn't belong or exist in real life belongs to "Arcane" elements. The holy light that cleanses undead, Arcane. Curse spell that makes you sick, Arcane. It's easier for me to think this way, except you have a separate world-building explanation on what makes it so that holy/dark separated such as a different source of power.

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ice and lightning
I would say Ice and reserve lightning for offense

Other then that I completly agree with the rest of this post xD

TheoAllen

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I would say Ice and reserve lightning for offense
Actually, I stopped after reading the word "magic' and not reading the "defense" part.

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would probably just think "oh neat, this armor not only boosts my defenses, but also my HP" instead of thinking "why would this armor boost my HP? time to deinstall this game".
Lol, that's so reassuring and such a stress relief. I guess I'm overestimating how much people care about immersion.

TheoAllen

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Lol, that's so reassuring and such a stress relief. I guess I'm overestimating how much people care about immersion.
If that makes you feel even better, I'm dealing with the same problem on naming stats. But at the end of the day, I called it whatever I want to call it. I'm still searching for a better stat name, but as for now, it works the way it is and my players don't have a problem with it.

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yea, I guess in the end, the mechanics matter more than what they're called. Only the most nitpicky players would whine about it...like my friend who's helping me with writing. -.-

He's advocating for 20+ highly specific stats instead of the 6 stats I have that do multiple things. Talk about poor design, sheesh.

Edit: A small sample of his ridiculous Stat proposals...
  • Heart
  • Ethos
  • Pathos
  • Logos
  • Courage
  • Mind
  • Alacrity
  • Deftness
  • Stoicism
  • Charm
  • Wrath
  • Mercy
  • Lust
  • Chastity
  • like wtf?!

Last edited:

Finnuval

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yea, I guess in the end, the mechanics matter more than what they're called. Only the most nitpicky players would whine about it...like my friend who's helping me with writing. -.-

He's advocating for 20+ highly specific stats instead of the 6 stats I have that do multiple things. Talk about poor design, sheesh.
with friends like that who needs enemies :p

ScorchedGround

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What kind of stat was "Lust" going to be? Was your friend thinking you're making an ero-game? :D

There is such a thing as "overcomplicating it". There is nothing worse than overloading your game with mechanics that have no bearing on the game at all and are just there to make the game look "fancy".

From what I've read so far, you got plenty of depth in your game gameplay-wise, so you don't need to overcomplicate it even further. :)

Finnuval

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What kind of stat was "Lust" going to be? W
I could think of a few things here, depends wether lust and gereed would be the same though, but non would fit the OP's game lol so yeah a like on that response xD

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yea, I was trying to explain to him the more specific a Stat is, the less you can do with it. I like the less is more approach. I already have enough mechanics combat-wise as well, and even decided to cut out a feature or two... (like the temperature and conductivity gauge...too complicated!)

Edit: I just realized that being an avid gamer really doesn't equate to being a good game designer... Who would've thought? lol:kaoangry:

Last edited:

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
  1. Thematically speaking, which element is best suited for MDF (magic defense)? Either in the sense of buffing it or utilizing it.
My vote would be for ice out of these four. Lighting seems like it would be more offensive than defensive, while wind and water seem to be more akin to healing and/or damage.

1. Does a "Frost Fever" spell (inflicts Chill effect on the target and will spread to adjacent targets) seem more like a hybrid Frost/Shadow spell or would it make more sense as a pure Frost spell?
Honestly I wouldn't even think of ice or frost delivering any type of infection or disease because ice freezes things and either kills them or preserves. If Shadow element is a thing I would go with just that one. In my own game I made Poison an element to handle what would normally be considered 'dark' or 'shadow' types of damage and effects.

1. What should I name my DEF & MDF stats?
When you add in the effect of increasing MP, this becomes difficult if you're really going for a more true representation of the stat. I'd probably go with something like vigor or physique because they relate more to the bodies strength and/or energy; however, considering armor would increase energy somehow seems odd. At the end of the day I don't think too many people would get hung up on something so trivial as long the overall representation of the stat is handled in an overt way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

*sigh* I'm so sick of this heat! :kaosigh::kaoeh:

Between Rona and MZ, might as well buckle down and get serious in dev
I did it. I finish the test after 2 days 6 different subjects. Now I'm freeeeeeee
Got a nice little platform coming along backwards compatible with MV.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ju9SW