A crucial mechanic for my battle system (Temporary Parameters)

Discussion in 'RGSS3 Script Requests' started by NPC, Dec 23, 2015.

1. NPC

NPC Auteurist in this world Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hi, all- I'm super nervous about posting here...but I'm doing it anyways!

At the moment, I'm designing a battle system for a future game that I'd like to create. Since the game would be mostly focused on battles and gameplay, I want a key feature to help it stand out (as well as make it fun xD)

I'm using the front view battle system, as well as a couple of Hime's Scripts (like her Change Scope, TP Charge, and other related scripts).

Before I actually request a script, let me explain the idea behind my system.

Characters are mono-level and do not level up, but their weapons can be upgraded to a maximum of ten, and their skills level up/grow in strength by being used (similar to FF2). Since they do not level up, their stats/parameters are very low- which, even with a plethora of items, is a problem. 

The way that players can survive is by collecting a special currency called LP (Learning Points). LP interact with the parameters in a peculiar way: LP acts as a multiplier of stats/params and of equipment. LP, which stacks up to 100, takes the base stat (for example, the MaxHP right now is 20. If a player has 60 LP, then they would have an additional 120 MHP, that is unless they use up their LP, which would decrease the multiplier to a minimum of the base stat.) This stat is then further augmented by the equipment (Again, if the player has 60 LP and 20 MaxHP, the equipment with some random stat like +0.8% life would make the MaxHP = 236 ((MaxHP*CurrentLP)+((MHP*CLP)*EquipmentBonus)+MHP)

Inspired by the idea that man is futile without his own devices, the player must manage their LP and resources well to survive in a savage world- even slimes may pose a threat.

So what am I asking for?

Well, the idea's all there, and I've dealt with upgrading weapons and upgrading skills- but I don't have LP, which is the most crucial element. What I'm requesting is a script that creates LP (a variable with a ceiling of 100) that can interact with equipment and parameters to create volatile/temporary parameters that add onto the base stats, but disappear as the LP does.

I don't know how to do it, so I can only hope I explained it well enough, and someone is interested enough in the idea to help a buddy out. If you really want payment or something, there's not much I can do- but I am a writer and would be glad to provide a piece for you! :)

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Jeremy Cannady likes this.
  2. Azaarious

Azaarious Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    You will want to set up the encounters with a specific set up each.

For each battle

Condition: Turn 0

- Change Enemy State: Entire Troop, + Immortal

For each enemy

Condition: Enemy HP (X) <= 0 %

- Control Variables : #LP name += [LP gain X]

- If LP => 100

- -  Control Variables : #LP name = 100

- Change Enemy State: #X Name, - Immortal

This should allow you to add whatever LP you have and make sure it does not exceed 100. I don't think you will need a plug in.

3. MeowFace

MeowFace Meow Veteran

First Language:
    Meowish
    Skill learning script is what you need. I think Yanfly has one.. using SP or was it JP? can't remember.

Just combine it with the Skill Level + Weapon Upgrade/Craft script will work.

You can also use a script like this one

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/53103-class-change-via-weapon-type-equip/

to create a "weapon level up system", just set the KEEP EXP = false and each weapon type should be able to "level up" with each class.

It's just  a matter of how you show it to your player, a class change can become a weapon type levelling system.

There are also scripts like skill tree. Where you get to learn new skill and upgrade them using SP. You should be able to find them in the master script list.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2015
    NPC likes this.
  4. NPC

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Azaarious: The problem isn't so much creating the variable for LP, but making it able to create these temporary parameters on top on the base stats.

Also to clear up the confusion I (probably) caused: the LP variable was gold renamed, etc. since I was using it in shops. I dealt with the ceiling by implementing Yanfly's Adjust Limits script. Unfortunately, gold doesn't seem to work in any formulas :/

Certainly I'd prefer having a separate counter for LP from gold, but it doesn't bother me too much considering I don't have any gold in the game anyway.

@MeowFace: Many thanks for your suggestions. I've however already found a solution to the skills and weapons, as noted in the original post. I'll keep them in mind if my current setup proves troublesome.

5. MeowFace

MeowFace Meow Veteran

First Language:
    Meowish
    Just use 

$game_party.goldin your formula

NPC likes this.
  6. NPC

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Ah, thanks. Didn't realize you could just do that.

7. MeowFace

MeowFace Meow Veteran

First Language:
    Meowish
    You're welcome! ;)

8. Azaarious

Azaarious Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Sorry, that was my misunderstanding.

I like the idea of multiple currencies as well as a skill level system. If you ever have a demo for what your building, I would love to check it out.

NPC likes this.
  9. NPC

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Thanks all, I've solved the issue using this script and the gold variable in the formula! :) Balancing aside, everything now seems to be working as it should!

10. MeowFace

MeowFace Meow Veteran

First Language:
    Meowish
    You're welcome!