RMVXA A Darkness Over Parandor

Discussion in 'Ideas and Prototypes' started by bgillisp, Feb 18, 2018.

1. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    A Darkness at Parandor is a game made in RPGMaker which was intended to be my entry for the 2015 IGMC. It was intended to be the prequel to The Book of Shadows (my other game), but time restrictions prevented me from working on the game more than a weekend back then. However, I have been slowly dabbling at it (like say an hour a month or so), and have enough to post about it on the Ideas and Feedback Thread.

Game Mechanics:

The game uses the same battle system as The Book of Shadows, mostly. To recap so you don't have to go look it up, every person in this world is from the 9 elements of magic, Fire, Earth, Air, Water, Energy, Mind, Life, Death and Null, though Null is really rare and no one knows if those people really exist. This is true for the players as well as the monsters.

In addition, everyone has a class which they have been training in, in which you can learn skills. Spells and Skills are divided by levels, and are considered Level 1 - 8. Level 7 and 8 skills and spells are ultra rare though, and odds are high the average person will never gain access to those skills or spells.

As you level up, you gain SP which you can spend to either learn a new skill in your class or in your Magic. SP is gained at the rate of 100 * the new level you just hit. On average, by Level 10 you should be able to learn all Level 1 skills and spells, by Level 20 you should be able to learn all Level 2 skills and spells, and so on.

The main difference in battle systems is in this game, you do not gain ATK, DEF, MAT, MDF, LUK, or AGI when you level up, but instead gain a point you can spend to have someone train you. This means that your attributes will be really low all game (think Soul Hackers low, or Devil Survivor low if you played those two games), and getting any attribute above 20 means you are amazing at that attribute. As of yet, I'm unsure if this system will work practically as more of the game is developed, so it is subject to change if needed.

Also the game has a date/time system. Events will occur if you take too long. Take long enough, there might not be anything worth saving.

And finally, this game is more open world than The Book of Shadows, in that it is possible to walk up to the villain on day 1 and whap him with your Club, as you know from the beginning who it is and where they are. But I'd not recommend it, as you will probably die if you do that.

Storyline/Plot:

A Darkness Over Parandor takes place in the legendary city of Parandor, before it became legendary. It is currently a dark time in the great city, as a tyrant named Castion lords over the people there, and monsters roam the countryside. Can you help the heroes rise up and overthrow Castion and bring Parandor into a Glorious Age?

Characters:

The game revolves around 4 characters who rise up and decide to try to overthrow Castion. They are:

Zelphar: A farmer who decides enough is enough after seeing Castion trying to exploit his girlfriend's farm for 50,000 DB (the currency in this world), and decides to try to put an end to his tyranny, or die trying.

Alystine: Loyal friend of Zelphar, she would follow him everywhere. She secretly has a crush on him, but he has feelings for another. Still, she joins up with him out of loyalty and to help him overthrow Castion.

Trevon: Local Rogue, he's up for overthrowing Castion as long as there is money in it. Though he'd rather go for easy treasure if it exists. Also a bit of a flirt.

Skye: Friendly Fairy who joins up with the others. She is seen as the baby of the group by the others, as she is about 10 years younger than all of them. Still, her knowledge of potions will come in handy!

Castion: The villain of the game. He only cares about money, and will do anything to get more money, no matter the cost.

Sceenshots:

Please note that only the facesets are final. Also the maps have like 0 NPC's as the game has only about 30 minutes of content so far, and many of the zones/regions are likely to change in development:

[​IMG]
    -From the Introduction. And nope, we wish it were paved with gold, this would make our quest so much easier.

[​IMG]
    -Talking to a Cow?

[​IMG]
    -Some of the party banter that has been written so far (Trevon's faceset is a placeholder in this picture too, see next picture for the actual one that will be used). Note that none of the party sprites have been made yet, so these are either RTP placeholders or placeholders from The Book of Shadows.

[​IMG]
    -Menu screenshot. Here you can see the facesets @Hirei has drawn up for this game. Notice this game has a date/time system too. If you take too long Castion will start to respond.

[​IMG]
    -Battle Screenshot. All class and elements still subject to change.

Current Progress:
    -Currently the game is mainly at the mapping and design stage, as the first design had to be scrapped as it was a mess (that's what I get for spending so little time on it). So right now work is on setting up the maps and linking them together to fit the open world format of the game.

Demo:
    -None available yet. Hopefully after The Book of Shadows goes Beta and I'm waiting for the results from the Beta testers.

For feedback at the moment I'm interested in what you think of the idea of the game (both in general, and the date/time system idea), and the battle system idea. Sometime in the next few months I hope to post a demo once the redesign stage is done so you can see how it plays in action.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    mv95, Frogboy, Titanhex and 1 other person like this.
  2. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    You have beaver-deers? :)

3. Titanhex

Titanhex Do-It-All Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    The Plot seems pretty simple. It looks like you're still designing it.
    Have you tried flowcharting out your ideas to see if they can work? It's a good way to spot issues in mechanics.
    It's also a great way to see what parts of the game influence what.

I do sort of wonder how the mechanics you mentioned tie into the story or narrative, if they do at all. Or is the gameplay just a delivery method for content while the storyline just occurs at its own separate intervals?
    If it's the latter, I definitely suggest keeping your gameplay simple and free of gimmicks or novelty. That way the story can take a front seat.

The game seems like it's in the early conceptual phase. But you have plenty to start building a game out of, and that's what's important.
    Good to see you focusing on a game.

4. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Titanhex : I'm making it more of an open world, here's the bad guy, figure out how to defeat him type of game. You know exactly who the villain is about 10 minutes into the game, and you know where he is. The problem is, you need a way to take him on and win.

I'm hoping to put in several valid ways to do this, from find a legendary weapon and cut down his forces, to incite the population to rebel against him, to even take on a dark power and use it to overthrow him. But it depends on how well I can implement it all.

At this point I'm still designing the maps and how they connect. I actually have about 19 made, but I made them with no idea what I was doing with them or where they fit in, so it's a mess as a result. So I'm taking that step back and trying to sort out those details first before I go mapping crazy now.

And, it gives me something to do when I'm stumped on The Book of Shadows. Or when I can't stand to make one more animation at this point in time.

Kes, Titanhex and Marquise* like this.
  5. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I like the idea of having different valid ways of beating the baddie, it adds enormously to replay value. I do appreciate how much extra work that is, though, as effectively you are making several games. My only suggestion is that to save on having to quite so many conditionals on the same NPCs etc., perhaps have the different pathways take you at least sometimes to unique locations?

6. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Kes : That's somewhat the plan. Maybe you go to the Dark Forest to find that evil artifact which will overthrow him, but those who want to do it differently can just avoid that location. Still, will be something I'll have to consider as I plan this one out more, right now I'm still finalizing maps, classes and battle systems.

But you can probably see from the description why I didn't tackle this game first in the end. It was meant to be the first one I released, but open world games I discovered are too hard to make when you're just starting out so I tabled it (mostly) and put all development into The Book of Shadows. But I always wanted to finish this game too, so figured it was time to put the prototype out there at least for discussion.

Marquise* likes this.
  7. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Time for an update on this idea/prototype.

-Now that the Book of Shadows is about to be sent to the testers (estimates are I'll be completely done and able to do that within 10 days), I plan to spend the time waiting on results looking harder at this idea. First step will be to import in the database from The Book of Shadows. From there, the plan is to revamp the skill/magic system a little.

More will probably come soon, but for now it is time to dig into the database.

Marquise* likes this.
  8. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    Nice that you expand your universe in another game. :)

9. mv95

mv95 Villager Member

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    I think the concept of this game is very nice, but I have some questions/points of feedback for you to consider.

Do you mean the average person in the game universe, or the average player (something like how in pokemon you can find very rare shiny pokemon but many people never encounter one)?

I find this notion interesting/appealing, but in the end aren't you just punishing players who are really immersed in the game and sidetracking, which seems to me like something you don't want to do?

Also, I'd have to agree with Titanhex on the story part. Even for an open world game I think it is worth to flesh out: why are there monsters in the streets, are they controlled by the villain? Is there a motive to his tyranny or is it out of 'sheer evil'?

I like the concept, so I hope to see more developments!

10. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @mv95 : Average person or player. My level 7 and 8 spells are like the rare materia in FF7. You can get them, but you got to find them, and it isn't easy. But at the same time, they are very OP as well.

As for the rest, they are warned on day one about the time limit, and the clock is onscreen to remind them it is there. There's a lot of debugging and testing though to be figured out on that. In fact, my last game I was going to put in a time limit, but I removed it pretty early on in development as it didn't work for the game. So there's still a lot of things to be figured out in this game.

As for the rest, the town is in ruins, so some early quests are to just clean them up to make it safe for the people. Motives and such for the villain are being worked on, its a really basic idea at the moment.

11. mv95

mv95 Villager Member

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    @bgillisp so it is a bit like TLOZ Majora's Mask then? I loved that mechanism. So are you required to complete the game within this timeframe and do you have to start over completely if you fail, or is there something like in Majora's mask where you can reset the time, but in the meantime make progress that remains even if you start over?