Fredrol

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I am experimenting with RPG Maker MZ. I have a few things I want to complete.

1) How can I move the sprites from the right side of the screen to right on top of their portraits in the battle screen? I have an idea of where this is handled, but if someone can definitively point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.

2) For the status and skill of substitute--wherein a character takes damage in place of the intended target--how can I set it up so that when an enemy attacks someone and substitute is active for a character the substitute character moves in front of the target and gets into the guard animation, and takes the damage? I want it to work like the Cover ability seen in Final Fantasy IV, V, VI and VII.

3) How can I make it so that the battle screen uses the map sprites instead of the battle sprites in sideview.

Thanks in advance for any insight and advice you can offer!

4) I also want to set it up so that--when guarding, an image of a shield will appear in front of a guarding Character if they are equipped with a shield (or a force field if they are equipped with something like a ring, ) Again, I am also hoping to set it up so, if an attack or skill is blocked, the shield will appear and go away--like in Final Fantasy V and VI

winkr7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
N/A
for question one, about where the actor sprites are initially placed in a side view battle?
You want to alter the initial placement function found in rmmz_sprites.js

Sprite_Actor.prototype.setActorHome = function(index) {
this.setHome(600 + index * 32, 280 + index * 48);
};

yours
winkr7

Beregon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Not that familiar with the MZ code yet so can't really tell you about that, but here's some tricks you might try:

1) There's a plugin in the DLC folder called SVActorPositionMZ. You can use that to reposition actors wherever you want.

2) Dunno about this. If you don't want to make something yourself, pretty sure some of the community plugins could do this.

3) Make a custom spritesheet for sideview using the map graphics. If you for example want to make a battle system that shows your characters from the back, then you can mostly just replace all the spaces with the "facing north" position.

Keep in mind, you would have to change the weapon animations too, since those would still be made for sideview.

4) Go to the database, skill with ID 2 is called Guard. Simply add an animation to that skill (like Powerup 3 or something). If you want a different animation depending on each character, well, either get rid of the Guard command and have those as normal skills (just copy the default Guard skill from the database and give each different animations) or you will have to make/use a plugin.

Also, if you want the animation to appear everytime they get attacked while under the effects of the guard state, well, either have the shield as part of their "Guard stance" sprite animation or make/use a plugin.

Last edited:

Fredrol

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Thanks . Where can I find the x,y coordinates for the faces. And how do I move or remove them?

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

In last 5 years, I have bought 4 MSI computer components and had issues with all 4 of them. With two of them these issues were so huge the board was quite unusable. I think it's safe to day it's my last MSI product purchase.
Thanks Thesaurus.com for letting me know another word for 'noted' is 'noted'.
The capital city of Lindenburg everyone. "Capital"

Map043.png
been trying to up my action sequence game and I'm not entirely sure what to do, even with tutorials out there. but I think I'm heading in the right direction with some attacks.
I've started brainstorming an entry for IGMC 2022. One hour of game length and first ten minutes to grab the reviewer's interest. Here we go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CommunistCrusader