A few questions....

rcsr

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
Hello there.

So I have an idea to make a small, friend making, story oriented game in RPG Maker VX Ace. I tried playing some like To The Moon, !bitHeart, the LiEat series, etc but I don't quite feel like I want to make it the classic RPG style. 

1) Is there a sidescrolling engine for RPG Maker VX Ace?

I've seen some engines before, but all I've seen are for platform games. I'm not making a game that's focusing on adventures; I'm making something more of a story oriented one, free roaming one.

Something like 1bitHeart //screencap below//

and, I've tried making myself a small mockup down here.

2) Is there a way I can make waist shots?

I've been trying to make waist shots in my game. I saw one for bust shots, but I guess that's not really my thing.

That's pretty much all I want to ask. Sorry if I got it into the wrong topic!! ;;w;;

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What do you mean "a side scrolling engine"? If you have maps that are wider than the screen, they will scroll when the player walks in that direction. That's default behaviour.

What's the difference between bust & waist shots? You "saw one" what for bust shots? Script? You could probably use it - if your images are a different size, you might just need to change the positioning in the script. Or use Show Picture commands instead of a script.

rcsr

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
@Shaz Alright, tried that for the bust shots and it worked well.

Alright, now to clearify my first question.

Do you by any chance know the horror rpg Dreaming Mary? It was made in a side scrolling format (like fighting games, sonic games, limbo etc etc theres way more to it) Sidescrolling is where the player can only go right and left in a game. I heard that it was made in VX Ace so I'm trying to find an engine/script to basically replicate all that. I don't know if that's clear enough but that's all I could manage with my limited english.

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
VNM
You don't need a script to replicate dreaming mary. It's about logic and is easier than it looks. What you would want to do is to have an invisible tile that restricts movement (basically unpassable) and then, boom, instant 'sideview engine.' Sprite size doesn't matter for this because by default everything has a 32x32 collission (The size of the RMVXA Grid)

Last edited by a moderator:

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
VNM
Arc Engine is too 'powerful' for what they want to do, especially since they compared it to 1bitheart and Dreaming Mary. He doesn't need the jumping, pixel engine, etc.

Here's a video -w-)b

rcsr

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
@Archeia Thank you very much for your reply! It's true that ARc Engine is too powerful for my simple sidescrolling game 'w';

Another noob-ish question is, if a 32x32 sprite equals to one tile, how do I make the sprite three tiles high? As in the video, it's possible to see that all the sprites are three tiles high. Also, another question, do I use the the same size map resources use for the sprites? Or do I use another one? 

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There are no limits on the spritesize as they have nothing to do with the tiles.

Only the editor cuts larger sprites down because you have to be able to click on all map positions, but ingame all sprites are displayed at full size, no matter what the size.

If you make a single large sprite, you need to place an $ in its name and it can be any size as long as all directions and animations are on the sheet (3x4 pictures).

Without the $, Ace will expect eight sprites of the same size (which means you'll need a spritesheet that is 12 times the intended width and eight times the intended height of the sprites

Check the large monster sprite of the RTP as an example

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
VNM
Another noob-ish question is, if a 32x32 sprite equals to one tile, how do I make the sprite three tiles high? As in the video, it's possible to see that all the sprites are three tiles high. Also, another question, do I use the the same size map resources use for the sprites? Or do I use another one? 
What Andar said is correct, irregardless of the size of your sprite, it's still counted as a '32x32 box.' It only sees your charset as one tile. So all you have to do is leave the 'floor tile' as passable and everything else as unpassable so the player sprite won't go up/down.

As for the map resources, I fail to understand. If you mean that you have to use the RTP, you don't. But if you want to import custom resources, I recommend checking the helpfile's resource specifications page to understand how to format them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Updated my state Stacker Script on itch.io, github is down for some reason (probs just me).
Wife watching Locke and Key. This show is so bad!! You can't just acclimate to discovering magic or magical worlds in less than 60 seconds.
I think I still prefer RPG Maker over Dreams. Been playing around with it, and the controls are really the biggest flaw for me.
Watching Dragon Quest: Your Story on Netflix and already like 5 mins in we've passed over like 3 hours of gameplay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Enkidu