[A free Random Name Generator Application]

Discussion in 'Useful Development Tools' started by Dreadshadow, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Dreadshadow

Dreadshadow Lv 38 Tech Magician Moderator

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It started as a joke.

Tomato >> Tom Matte >> Tom Hato >> Tom Matte-HO!

you know... silly stuff, people of my age should not do.

I hope Marquise will soon come to this forum too to enjoy this thread.

Marquise is the person I was doing chat jokes like the one with the tomato above.

We had a discussion about the Label command on VX Ace, explained her why I dislike GOTO statement in any programming language.

She was drawing an Orc sprite character based on the RTP huge Orc graphics.

We named her (yes it's a "her") Ogre GOTTO La Belle

(GO TO LABEL >> GOTTO LA BELLE)

So you got the picture...

Then she said, that it would be nice to have a piece of software that does word merging randomly

and see what funny names could come out of two word merging.

I found that idea interesting....

ALSO HOW MANY GAME DEVELOPERS HAVE ALL THEIR HERO AND NPC NAMES HERE AND THERE?

So how about putting them in a csv file... and have an auto name generator?

That's what I made.

Download link:   HERE

IMPORTANT: Edit the csv file using a notepad. Avoid spreadsheet software (Like Libre Office calc or MS Excel)

P.S.  I made this for fun. It is nothing fancy. I know that already. Still I share it cause it might be useful to somebody. You never know...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2014
  2. Ralpf

Ralpf Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    It's actually not bad for simple names, just need to populate it with name parts and try a few times till you get something good. Like Beag, Dhaf or Buaf.....lol. With more complex things in there you could do a lot.

Dreadshadow likes this.
  3. Dreadshadow

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yes indeed.

The names should be entered by the end user.

I was imagining though... people sharing some parts of their csv files.

You can see the potential here right? ;)

4. Zalerinian

Zalerinian Jack of all Errors Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    getting an error when I try to generate a name using the given csv file:

Code:
    See the end of this message for details on invoking just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.************** Exception Text **************System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.   at Dreadapps.Form2.Button1_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)   at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)************** Loaded Assemblies **************mscorlib    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34014 built by: FX45W81RTMGDR    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll----------------------------------------Dreadful_Free_Random_Name_Generator    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Nope. You thought./Downloads/Dreadful_Free_Random_Name_Generator/Dreadful_Free_Random_Name_Generator.exe----------------------------------------Microsoft.VisualBasic    Assembly Version: 10.0.0.0    Win32 Version: 12.0.20806.33440 built by: FX45W81RTMREL    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/v4.0_10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll----------------------------------------System    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34003 built by: FX45W81RTMGDR    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll----------------------------------------System.Core    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.33440 built by: FX45W81RTMREL    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll----------------------------------------System.Windows.Forms    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.33440 built by: FX45W81RTMREL    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll----------------------------------------System.Drawing    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.33440 built by: FX45W81RTMREL    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll----------------------------------------System.Runtime.Remoting    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34107 built by: FX45W81RTMGDR    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll----------------------------------------************** JIT Debugging **************To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for thisapplication or computer (machine.config) must have thejitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.The application must also be compiled with debuggingenabled.For example:<configuration>    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" /></configuration>When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exceptionwill be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computerrather than be handled by this dialog box. 

5. Dreadshadow

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Okay, did you changed anything on the csv file?

It must be like:

@something,somethingelse

somethingheretoo,something

First row has an @ a word, then a comma then another word, then return.

Second and all the rest of the lines must have  a word, then a comma then another word, then return,

except from the last one (no return pressed).

The initial CSV works fine on my system.

Maybe there is an issue here on compatibility or something.

What OS are you runing this on? << Please include version.

I think I will regret making it in VB and bring it back it something more cross platform. :/

Thanks for mentioning the issue 

Zalerinian.

6. Ralpf

Ralpf Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I don't know if that is the same error I was getting, but I tried to modify it with excel (what it opened with by default) and I couldn't get it formatted quite right and it kept throwing errors, I then opened it with notepad and modified it with that and everything went fine.

It should look something like this in notepad:

@Ab,Al
    Ac,Nickname_demo_2
    Ad,Nickname_demo_3

Assuming of course that you are getting the same error I was.

7. Dreadshadow

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Would you kindly inform me on what operating system you ran it?

And yes simple notepad is the right way to edit the csv.

Oh!!!

Does Excel open by default csvs? LOL! Makes sense!

Avoid Excel by all means people.

Use a simple notepad!

Edited the Readme file.

8. Zalerinian

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I didn't modify the file. I did open it with excel, but nothing was changed.

Excel also does not modify the file in any way that would harm it. There's an option to save it as a Comma Separated Value (CSV) file.

I didn't edit the csv from the archive when I ran the program, it just got an error on it's own.

9. Dreadshadow

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    All right.

What was the operating system you were running?

10. Zalerinian

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Ahh yes, I did forget to include that. I'm running Windows 8.1 64-bit.

11. Dreadshadow

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thought so.

It seems like a compatibility issue.

I designed that as a 32bit application, I use XP (yes my PC is THAT old, I have to buy a new one).

I should make a more cross-platform solution.

12. Ralpf

Ralpf Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'm using Vista 64, it's working fine for me.

13. Dreadshadow

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yes, it seems W8 though, might create issues like this.

Not sure if it is the OS but it seems like a compatibility issue with VB2010.

Thanks for informing me that it runs on Vista. This is a good thing to know.

I can ask a W7 user to test them too.