stramin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
My project has a lot of unusual battle mechanics and every actor has his own ways to be useful in battle, these mechanics are explained in the game but some people could not read them or forget them.

So I want to build something to reinforce the information, and help the player to remember all these mechanics.

I am thinking in a "tips" system, many games show tips in their load screens.

Some examples:

1611434940692.png1611434946768.png1611434951142.png1611434956940.png

basically it is a random text shown somewhere, somewhen and somehow... maybe after loading the map, after the battle, after loading the game, etc.

Where could be the best place?
When could be the best moment?
and...
How can I do something like this?

Zerothedarklord

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have this exact thing for my game, and it's all just an option you can access through the main menu, that way it isn't too intrusive. I don't much care for tutorials and such, so it's there if the player wants to see it.

stramin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
I have this exact thing for my game, and it's all just an option you can access through the main menu, that way it isn't too intrusive. I don't much care for tutorials and such, so it's there if the player wants to see it.
How, where and when you do it?

Zerothedarklord

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
at any point in the game, you can simply open the main menu, and it's there.

Oir

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well you could just have an autorun event on every map if you want to force the player to see these tips when they enter a new map. You could also have a "guided battle" tutorial in which a narrator/NPC directs you to use certain moves during a battle.

You yourself could also design certain battles early on which can only be beaten by using a very specific tactic/mechanic which would force your player to learn that mechanic and use it properly or else he wouldn't be able to progress? (You could combine it with the "Guide NPC/narrator").

Like Zerothedarklord said, you could also just have the tutorial in a menu for anybody that wants to view it although I'd say there are a lot of players that could benefit from a tutorial but wouldn't seek it out themselves. So I'm not too sure about just relying on this.

stramin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
ok, then I will do it that way, I going to make a "Help" option to learn each character skills.

Thank you guys!

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

treele.jpg
A them/they in a forest... a still for the game I'm working on.
Making a blue-magic-heavy game is very fun but there's a lot of extra hassle as well. Balancing skills for both enemy and player usage isn't easy.
BTW everyone on staff who made the forum jump, thank-you! This time I am not panicked and lost all rounds.
I'm not searching for bugs, just pleasant surprises, for now on ^^
Been a while since I've been here, whoops. My computer's been acting really stupid so I wasn't able to work on my projects, but the good news is I've got a new one, meaning I can get back to work. And I've got a nice idea in mind, I'll just need to find some good scripts for the Aesthetic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sxips