CleanWater

Jack-Of-All-Trades Freelancer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Português BR
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, I feel that I just should say it somewhere. It's now or never!

Sometimes I find out some games here that I would like to play, but I can't, why? Whenever I look at released games here, I notice that they aren't available for platforms other than Windows and I'm a Linux exclusive user.

For old RPG Maker engines, it's understandable, but, what about you guys that uses MV and MZ? You can even release your games for browser to play, and yet, even if the game is free, you insist on deploying it only to Windows. What's up with you?

Well, that's all what I wanted to say.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
N/A
even if the game is free, you insist on deploying it only to Windows. What's up with you?
It's the other way around. It's free, so it's more reason that it is up to the dev. And Windows only is technically easier for common people.

This is probably out of question, but why not have a Windows-based PC/laptop for general purposes?

123edc

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
You can even release your games for browser to play
actually ... no, i can't ...
some assets i use explicitly prohibit mobile and browser deployment ^.^

that aside, most ppl here are hobbyiests,
and i just assume, that it simply is the easiest way, to deploy for the system youused to develop and test stuff ...

CG-Tespy

Professional Persona Panderer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
With most people being Windows-users, finding testers for Linux would be another thing they have to do, adding more work to the pile. If the dev's a hobbyist and not all that good at networking, then finding such testers would become even harder.

woootbm

Super Sand Legend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't have a Linux machine to test the Linux build I cut. If you want to play an unsupported, untested game, here's a little tip a learned from one of my players...

1665018710583.png

You can drag this index.html file into an internet browser. This will allow you to play the game using the browser since it's javascript and whatnot.

Here's another thing to show ya...
1665018805038.png
This is pulled from Steam. It would be more prudent to release our games with VR support, heh. Or, heck...
1665018886312.png
... I'd much rather translate a game into OP's native language before I consider Linux. But all of these things have the same issue: a lot of work for potentially zero payoff. Some folks only get like a handful of downloads when they put their game out there!

Cythera

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's quite simple, really. I only have Windows :kaojoy:

I have no way to test a Mac or Linux version of my stuff. I have no way to tell if it even deployed properly! And to be honest...I have no interest in getting bug reports where I'm not able to tell if the cause is the version deployment, or a bug in the game. There'd be nothing I could do about it. Not fair to the player, or me.

Nenen

Unproven Storyteller
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I suppose developers could release untested beta versions... But they'd probably want to have some separation-from-the-main/confirmation-that-you-understand by those players wanting to try them, so there wouldn't be any complaints.

(I'm avoiding repeating what others said, though I agree)

Last edited:

SGHarlekin

Orc Jester
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Looks like the people pretty much summed it all up already.

Most just don't use mac/linux. And nobody wants to get one in order to actually test their games on them. Bug fixing would be nigh impossible since we got nothing to actually test it on.

And as someone already said, statistically speaking, it's just not worth the effort.

That being said, my steam game has a single linux download and they didn't refund it afaik. So I guess you could figure something out perhaps.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can even release your games for browser to play, and yet, even if the game is free, you insist on deploying it only to Windows.
that is because everything other than the local system (which is Windows for most people) will require additional steps and knowledge.

Browser release requires a server - either paying for one or finding one where the advertisement sections to pay for the "free" server don't disrupt the engine.
MacOS release basically requires owning a Mac, because the file system for MacOS requires flags for apps that do not exist on Windows. Deploying for MacOS on a MacOS computer is easy, but almost impossible from Windows.

And I don't know anything about Linux but I suspect there is something similar for that as well.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can even release your games for browser to play, and yet, even if the game is free, you insist on deploying it only to Windows. What's up with you?
Because the vast majority of gamers use Windows (because the vast majority of computer games already only support Windows). So people playing indie games is already a niche market within the category of gamers, and supporting Linux is a niche within a niche.

It's just not worth any potential financial gain.

I assume that if someone has some reason that they specifically care to be running Linux they're also going to be savvy enough to know how to use WINE or have a dual-boot system or something. There's no way they have any general presumption that they should be able to play computer games on their OS.

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Most cases it translates to they don't have that built to test it, so it would be an unsupported build. I don't have a Linux build or enough $$$ to get another PC just to have a Linux PC to test it on.
To be fair to Linux, it's a free OS, so it costs a person nothing but time to set it up as dual boot or install a virtual machine with it. There's really no need to have a discrete computer for it.

But, again, that effort just doesn't seem worth anything.

CleanWater

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Português BR
Primarily Uses
RMMV
In response to some persons, I'm running my game project on Itch.io as a browser game and it's doing just fine. You can either play it for free in-browser or support by downloading the source files.

People can also install it through the Itch App and run locally, if they don't want to connect to internet just to play it in browser.

That's a great solution for anyone willing to play this game, and yes, browser plays are doing well for a Itch-only game.

Making a Linux build may be time consuming, as it requires some technical knowledge, however, a browser game on Itch is simpler than deploying it to Windows, and it's basically a cross-platform solution, as you can play on any OS, be it desktop or mobile. So, why not?

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
a browser game on Itch is simpler than deploying it to Windows
Isn't it identical? You just check the appropriate radio button during deployment to choose Windows or Web browsers?

And then you have to upload the project someplace, regardless, so I'm curious as to how browser play is easier.

it's basically a cross-platform solution, as you can play on any OS, be it desktop or mobile. So, why not?
I think most people who aren't already doing this want to sell their game on Steam or itch. Your method of having browser play and then allowing people to buy it to store locally seems like it's not going to get as many purchases as it would if it's only for purchase.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've actually released a Mac version of my game, but when someone ran into issues with it there was no way for me to find out what was causing it because I have only Windows.
The same problem would be with releasing a Linux version. How am I going to be solving issues unique to a Linux version, or even knowing it runs at all when I don't have hardware that has Linux installed?

It's not a hardware and testing issue alone. It's also a time issue. Every time an update to the game is made, you have to go through extra steps to build a version for each OS.

Point is: the majority of people, including RPG Maker developers are on Windows devices. Solo hobbyist developers have limited time and resources to devote to a project for which they earn zero money (money is actually lost, spending it on the RPG Maker engine itself, and maybe some plugins and/or resource DLC's too).

JohnDoeNews

Steam mod (MV/MZ)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, I feel that I just should say it somewhere. It's now or never!

Sometimes I find out some games here that I would like to play, but I can't, why? Whenever I look at released games here, I notice that they aren't available for platforms other than Windows and I'm a Linux exclusive user.

For old RPG Maker engines, it's understandable, but, what about you guys that uses MV and MZ? You can even release your games for browser to play, and yet, even if the game is free, you insist on deploying it only to Windows. What's up with you?

Well, that's all what I wanted to say.

Lucky for you, my game is a browser game and available for all platforms, as long as you have a browser. :p

I have a similar problem. I use Windows 98 and I can't play any games except Zork. Very frustrating.
Hahhaha. I hope that is a joke, but if not, it is still funny.

Last edited:

ShinGamix

DS Style 4Ever!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
April Fools
Primarily Uses
N/A
Well buddy in my case from my perspective like my game Battle Rattle is a massive mess of 200 scripts many designs and lots of stuff and it's just not done to the point where I'd release anything yet. Other things like Valkyrie Stories, Leomorn Sword, and a few others get lost in demo and design and just stop there and abandoned forever. Other times you ever think about that someone may have just died and never got to finish or something tragic happen in their lives. I have seen two cars this happened and not going into details there. And some sites that host these games disappear or change and we loose the work forever in many way we have lost scripts and resources for older makes like VX Ace. So good luck to you and if you want something made.like an unfinished projects or a lost one. Maybe its time to make a game yourself.

CleanWater

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Português BR
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I just would like to point certain things regarding Linux. ATT_Turan have pointed this as well.
  • Linux is FREE
  • Linux can be installed on a Virtual Machine
So, there's no reason to not deploying a version for Linux for whatever reason, unless the excuse of the majority of players using Windows really stand out.

Besides that, the main point is: A browser game runs anywhere and you have a free game. Why requiring people to install Windows just to play it if you can have it be played by anyone, anywhere?

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I was just too curious, so I tried to solve the problem by roughly writing the specifications of the RPG Maker style system (like a programming language).

I can able to see that ChatGPT-3 understands the problem well and proposes a solution according to the specifications I defined.

Adobe Premiere just crashed so hard it broke my GPU drivers sending me on a DDU quest. Why does this company with it's awful software subscription model and bloated software still dominate the industry? :rolleyes: Can we collectively agree to not support this company any more?
Stage 1 Card.png
struture-wise, my game operates more like a beat 'em up than an rpg. so each area of the city you run around in counts as a stage when you first get there. A silhouette of the boss/bosses will be in these stage intro pics, along with the stage name.
I still do this kinda stuff and I think this came out really, really well. Solo violin really helps this piece shine.
Currently at beginner level, checking tutorials on YT and Skillshare

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gracetierney