RMMV A life lived

Discussion in 'Ideas and Prototypes' started by Builds_a_lot, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Builds_a_lot

Builds_a_lot Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Overview:
    I've been working out a game since June/July 2017 that started as breaking standard RPG conventions. Like elves aren't wise and noble, dwarves aren't little drunken Scottish warriors, What would it be to play in a world without humans as the focal point? What would it be to play as a PC character defined by the world's past conflicts? What if you play through the game multiple times with randomly generated PCs with various backstories? A PC that feels alive, sympathetic, relatable? To come across language, ideological, political or religious barriers and having to deal with that as the current PC? I want to craft an RPG with a semi life sim feel that actually tells a personal story.

So you can see how this evolved from setting the RPG genre on it's ear to, well this. I wanted to explore a humanless world, a complicated world, How the events of one culture's actions had unseen and far reaching effects on everything else. I also wanted an RPG that there was no big bad, you aren't the chosen one. You play as Every man nobody going through your life.

Each PC has a logical reason to take up exploring the world, but that isn't the point of the game so much as you are to see through the eyes of your character their life, their world, the world outside their frame of reference. To experience something that may be alien to you. I want the game to make the player feel, understand, learn, and not to repeat the mistakes of the past.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
    I am adding a party system, with a breakdown of individual classes per character so every companion and Player Character are unique. Sort of Dragon age inspired. That is the feel I'm going for.

I want day and night cylces, I want to tie NPCs to those cycles, shops and Inns aren't open 24/7. Inns close at 10pm, Taverns don't open till 8pm, sort of thing.

You have combat but it isn't the focus of the story, encounters will only be in places that make sense, enemies will be in places they make sense.

I'm waffling about a crafting system, whether it's Skyrim like where you can do it all, by yourself, or make players collect things and have to take them to someone to make whatever the item is, more like real life, or tie in a profession system that locks the PC into being about to be really good at one thing, but locks out everything else.

Kicking around Player housing, but you only get one. Example:You get a deed in Havensted, you can't have a house in Anthea too. This isn't real-estate tycoon, lol. And maybe have them themed, like one has a wood lot if you bought a place outside say, Greenview where you can hire someone to tend it for you or DIY if you have the knowledge/skill.

I'm still working out individual PCs and Companions, I was wondering about adding parody/homage companions and npcs. Like say Monster Hunter is a class in the game, you get a Halfling Monster hunter, whose retired but is your trainer and companion and he's old man Dante (Devil May Cry), said he knows the Mayor of Meadowview who happenes to be a fellow retired monster hunter Gerald (nod to Witcher) whose now a farmer. Subtle things to make players smirk and bring levity to the serious tone of the overall game.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• So, yeah. Feedback and Input welcomed. If it's crap or cliché' (What RPG isn't at times), please be constructive, not just mean and rude for the sake of it.
    • The net, and the gamer community can be so toxic for no reason nowadays. Thank you in advance!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  2. RetroExcellent

RetroExcellent Pixelated Avatar of Chaos Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I feel like this post suffers from a lack of formatting. I am sitting at work bored and could not get through it. If you gather your thoughts, and focus sections on each race, each world area and world views, you could have a very interesting topic here. I like what I did manage to read, twisting the expectations is always a good choice.

If you can format it into something coherent I'll gladly read the whole thing and give as much feedback as I can.

You should also put each section into spoilers, so it's not such a huge post, would make people more likely to read it.

Edit: I'd go and look at some map making tutorials, Yanfly has a cute comic that explains setting up a city well. Your maps are not ugly by any means, but they lack any sort of real distinction.

Finnuval and Builds_a_lot like this.
  3. Builds_a_lot

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah, I'll work on organizing it better in word and repost it. I literally transcribed it from my notes.... Obviously. Hopefully it'll be more readable and flows more logically when I'm done. Well, when my husband is done with it, he's good at organizing my ideas. (See monkey thought translator) I can't take the credit for that.

Finnuval and RetroExcellent like this.
  4. Finnuval

Finnuval World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I fully agree with retroexcellent. Despite being interested in the premise of your idea I couldnt get through the wall of text...

Once it's A bit more orginazed Ill try again ;)

5. Kupotepo

Kupotepo Fantasy realist Veteran

First Language:
    Thai
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It looks like a fun game to play. I will come back from eating to read your story, sorry for that. Please in Ideas and Prototypes Rules and Guidelines, it has code format which easier for the viewer to read. You can copy paste codes for your thread format. Everything looks good, however, if you are not sure about something or cannot make a decision about something. You ask us here about your projects.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  6. atoms

atoms Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I like the narrative in your first screenshot, it caught my curiosity, however I have to say I feel you've given us too much information in one go, I'm not sure how many people will read through the whole thing and for me I just can't. The other two screenshots you showed look ok to me.

But keep going with your game, I hope it turns out great!

7. Builds_a_lot

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I hope this reads better. Sorry for the Fuster Cluck of a post before.