A little guidance into Creating Action Sprites

Discussion in 'Resource Support' started by Shefflox, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Shefflox

Shefflox Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    This is for RPG Maker MV just to clarify. My question is for anyone who has done this and is not at all a request more of guidelines for doing this. I'm new to doing pixel art for my game, and I am attempting to make sprites in action. For example one of my characters I want to make him be able to slash with a visible sword outside of combat, so in other words a sprite animation that is usable for certain events. I am hoping someone out there could give me some advise on how to do this or perhaps pictures if anyone has done this. I am also hoping that maybe if I get good enough at the action sprites I might be able to do sword fight cut scenes.

That being said I have somewhat of an idea on how to do it, but I think it would only work if I increases the size of the image file to fit the sprite in it with a sword? Again not sure, so anyone who has guidance suggestions, videos, other posts to look at. I would be most appreciative. Thanks RPG Community!

2. Jules98

Jules98 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The sprite can be basically any size, what matters is the structure of the spritesheet.

Here is an excerpt from the help file to help you along:

3. Shefflox

Shefflox Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I always wondered what the ! and $ did, I just knew certain files had them, i never knew what they were for. Does anyone else have any advise for making action sprites with MV sprites?

4. Bex

Bex Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You will not use change player sprite to achieve the sword slash, you will be anoyed that the downwards slash is limited because the graphic cant extend over the bottom line just into the other 3 directions (for good reasons but that makes this aproach limited in freedom).

In VX-Ace i tested the Database Animations Editor for this.
    I inserted an Animation looking like the Player and the sword and some editing, while the animation is played the original player is hidden
    , all functions possible with this awesome animation editor.
    Only downpoint was that if iam standing under a maptile the animation of swordslash would be played above it on the wrong z layer.
    But that could be fixed with a script.

Sorry for Textwall^^, best aproach for action battlestuff in my opinion is using animations editor in the database.

5. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

I've moved this thread to Resource Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

6. Shefflox

Shefflox Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I apologize, one of these days I'll get it right.

7. Shefflox

Shefflox Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    OK so if I follow what your saying is I should use a animation sequence in the animation editor throw a sword in it, with a sword slash resize it and that's my best bet? Because if that's the case that would hopefully save me a lot of time doing it the other way. And side question if you have done this have you been able to do like sword fight cut scenes using this method? It seems so simple yet right hehe.

8. Bex

Bex Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I did it with just a sword and let the char stepping a few frames, that looked ugly but that sword could be used for every char.

Or you insert 3 or 4 pictures of that char with the sword slashing converted into an animation picture, than just create it in the animation editor, you can mark to hide the player while the animation is played, the player doesnt notice anything besides a fluid sword slash. but iam sure there are a few different ways to do this. iam a beginner myself in this.
    For example make a common event that checks if W button is pressed and if yes it plays the animation of swordslash onto the player. And the hit detection stuff, but thats another topic.

Edit:
    No i didnt made any cutscenes, i tested it for a zelda like action combat system.
    Aint a Zelda Combat style what you are looking for?
    I realized that hitting only 1tile infront of the player aint satisfieing, that why i wanted to hit all 3 tiles infront of the player. maybe also creating a blow that goes 1 tile but therfor got a range of 2, like a piercing attack. and maybe a roundhouse slash if he keeps holding the slash button for some time maybe? its not easy because there are so many possibilities, so you should have atleast a glimpse of a idea what you want or need for the game and gameplay feeling.
    Edit2:
    Possible example picture:
    http://legacyblade.com/downloads/SpriteShrine/Charsets/Nethera/Nethera_SWD.png
    But thatone is on a charset, its working also but can bug around in a few cases if i remember right (or i lagged the skills dont know ) but if you convert those graphic onto an animation sheet, than one can build an animation out of it by just choosing 4 frames and clicking the pictures.Which is realy easy in the end.

Edit3: My English aint the best in explaining stuff, i hope its not to much vague chineese.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  9. Shefflox

Shefflox Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    No I get what your saying I just wanted to clarify what you were saying. No it's not a Zelda combat style more like Breath of Fire 3 where, each character has a special skill they can use outside of combat, and the main character can slash his sword hitting bushes or other debris to reveal pathways. So that picture is a charset? You think its better to use animation sheet over charset?

10. Bex

Bex Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Bothshould work,both have pros and cons.

Animation Cons: You need a Script to show that skill on the same z layer as same as char priority.
    Pros: Easily build and executed animation.

Charset Cons: I had problems with the slash while moving sometimes, that made it look not perfect at times.
    Pros: Yeah if no bugs ocur its also a valid solution way, its a few years back since i tested it and didnt used the maker much in the meanwhile, maybe another user can provide more expirienced help and answers?