A little overwhelmed and I need to start my battle system

Verbalcody

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So i just got this, ive done some work on RPG maker XV in the past, Im not a total noob. Ive installed and been playing around with Yanflys battle animatins and I like where I have that

I need help to get started with my custom battle system - its a system where you please an audience. Its the only system the game will have. Basically, what you do will increase or decrease an audiences happiness level and if you meet a certain goal by the end, you get a good result, and if you fall short the result is not so good, or terrible depending on how you actually do

Is this, or anything like it possible at all in the base game or with any of the plugins and if not where should I start or should I just scrap this idea entirely?

Im new to the forum to so I hope this is int he right place.

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Since this reads more as an "How do I?" thread, I'm moving this to MV Support.

Black Pagan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm not sure what you mean by the Audience level and such, But there are ways to insert "Graphics" into Battle scene using Common events. Perhaps you could convey the intended message with these Graphics.

You do this under Database > Troops by adding Common Events that trigger while in the Battle depending on various conditions. Example : A Graphic zooms in from corer right to corner left every time a Character uses a Specific skill. You can even trigger sound effects.

CalebW

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So i just got this, ive done some work on RPG maker XV in the past, Im not a total noob. Ive installed and been playing around with Yanflys battle animatins and I like where I have that

I need help to get started with my custom battle system - its a system where you please an audience. Its the only system the game will have. Basically, what you do will increase or decrease an audiences happiness level and if you meet a certain goal by the end, you get a good result, and if you fall short the result is not so good, or terrible depending on how you actually do

Is this, or anything like it possible at all in the base game or with any of the plugins and if not where should I start or should I just scrap this idea entirely?

Im new to the forum to so I hope this is int he right place.
If I am understanding correctly this is like the pokemon contests in Ruby / Sapphire. Where you'd take a pokemon into a coolness|beauty|speed|etc contest and their movesets would be rated accordingly with effects attached to it.

If I'm correct you could do it like this: (If not ignore I suppose.)

Set up a variable defining each move-set or audience rating that can occur. Have the move's programmed in the variables to count +1 each time they are activated, or -1 if they fail. (To calculate if they succeed or fail you could do math random of a count as you please and assign a variable to the random result to determine success or failure.)

So to do a math random, go into the editor and choose a random calculation and then give it two numbers to check between. If you want to do Dungeons and Dragons style, then have it check between 1-20. Then you can have let's say a move "punch person" that needs at least a 13 to Pass 17 to do excellent and a 5 to horribly fail. Then you can within the punch person variable make "if" statements that will check the result and transpose a sub result based on the number. You'll have to set up a result for each >, =, or < results of those numbers.

Granted this would be doing a complex system in accordance with what you may be trying to achieve, but if you want to have an audience rating system, complexity imo is needed as the pokemon contest system was by far one of my favorite features that I've seen in a while.

Verbalcody

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you caleb, the comparison to the pokemon contests is right along with what I am thinking about. When you say add a variable, thats pretty much what I was thinking about say you had to reach 10 whatever, call them contest points, in a certain time. So as you say, +1 every time you succeed and a 0 or -1 for a fail, and you want to get to 10. Perfect

So when you say make a variable, can that be done in the base editor, the database I mean sorry if I don't jhave the lingo down. Or would I need a plugin, and if it can be done in the base editor how would you go about doing it?

I see what you are saying about the math of the 'punch' attack in your example, is there a specific way to type in the formulas? Maybe a guide for that I could be pointed to, I feel I could figure that one out

Thank you for your time and thoughts!

CalebW

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you caleb, the comparison to the pokemon contests is right along with what I am thinking about. When you say add a variable, thats pretty much what I was thinking about say you had to reach 10 whatever, call them contest points, in a certain time. So as you say, +1 every time you succeed and a 0 or -1 for a fail, and you want to get to 10. Perfect

So when you say make a variable, can that be done in the base editor, the database I mean sorry if I don't jhave the lingo down. Or would I need a plugin, and if it can be done in the base editor how would you go about doing it?

I see what you are saying about the math of the 'punch' attack in your example, is there a specific way to type in the formulas? Maybe a guide for that I could be pointed to, I feel I could figure that one out

Thank you for your time and thoughts!
Yes, the base editor has a section to add variables, switches, and common events. My suggestion as Shaz said above is to make the events happen within the battle sequence, otherwise, they won't activate with combat if you'll be truly performing this during combat. To do that, in your database click on the Troops tab on the left-hand side, create a troop that would be the target battle for this system, and then within the first tab add variables within the lower right corner of that section. A small pop up box will appear for you to define 1-1000 variables 10 per page. This is where you'd start making your system classifications. If you'd like even further in-depth than this, I'd say it best to private message me as this can be a very long explanation.

Verbalcody

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you I will tinker with it tonight and get back to you!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

My sister is a saint. Specifically Saint Peter. Because shes my best friend until other ppl are around then shes all "nope, dont know him, dont like him."
Making it a rule that I don't do any world building for my new game before the actual gameplay is concrete and working. I have 16 years of lore to work with anyway.
Cheesy power metal makes everything better. No matter what you do, you'll feel heroic doing it.
Starting to really like the first of my madness areas. I think the eyes looking at them really helps to sell the place. :LZSexcite:
Made idle animation for character. It first had only three frames but looked too different from walking animation and I had to draw five more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpgteck