A monster battling/catching/taming/collecting game created by RPG Maker?

A_Higher_Plane

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I mean like Pokemon. Is this possible? If so, how would you create it? I would want a custom animation of, like, throwing a ball and a monster comes out of it in front-view and/or side-view battle system and also catching a monster like throwing a ball at it. It doesn't have to be about ball throwing. It won't be a Pokemon games because that's illegal. It will be your own custom monster battling/taming game. I would want my monsters to be animated (like from spritesheets) but I know this can be easily done.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There are tons of plugins, tutorials, and videos for creating Pokémon-like games if you give it a Google.
What part exactly are you asking about? You reference a monster in front-view or side-view...MV does that. An animation playing on the screen that could be a ball but doesn't have to be...MV plays animations. You know monsters can be animated.

So what part are you asking about "is it possible" or "how to create?"

A_Higher_Plane

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh I am not very sure about how to make the animation of throwing a ball and your monster appears and catching a monster using a ball. That part is unclear to me. Would you need a plugin?

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Um. Well, the part with having your monster appear might need a plugin, either to summon an actor or to have something start off the screen and then move on (e.g. Summon Core or Action Sequences).

I don't see why you'd need a plugin to play an animation of the ball throwing, can you describe what part of it wouldn't work with MV's built-in animation system?

A_Higher_Plane

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well IDK how that "Show Animation" be used. How would I target somewhere?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
How would I target somewhere?
an animation can be made to fit to screen, and then you choose where the pictures go inside the animation tab of the database.
or if you want to target an enemy you can simply select that in the animation settings.

and there is nothing else to target on a battlescreen by default

so you either need to familarize yourself with how animations are defined, or give better (non-vague) descriptions of what you want to target - or both.

A_Higher_Plane

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
an animation can be made to fit to screen, and then you choose where the pictures go inside the animation tab of the database.
or if you want to target an enemy you can simply select that in the animation settings.

and there is nothing else to target on a battlescreen by default

so you either need to familarize yourself with how animations are defined, or give better (non-vague) descriptions of what you want to target - or both.

But the animation can only target you, the current event and a custom event.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
But the animation can only target you, the current event and a custom event.
and that is where you are wrong and why I told you to check how the animations are defined.
because you can set the animation to screen, overriding the setting of the event command.

A_Higher_Plane

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
and that is where you are wrong and why I told you to check how the animations are defined.
because you can set the animation to screen, overriding the setting of the event command.
Wait, what do you mean exactly? How do I override the setting of the event command?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
you make the animation to use position = screen, exactly as I said TWICE above.
That is NOT on the event command, it is in the database on the animation tab, as I said above as well.

A_Higher_Plane

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
you make the animation to use position = screen, exactly as I said TWICE above.
That is NOT on the event command, it is in the database on the animation tab, as I said above as well.
Okay but what do I do after that? What will that do by itself? I would want to position that somewhere, like at side-view where your friendly battler appears. How would I target that?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
sorry, I don't have time to handhold you through every tiny little step.
basically you'll know where the actor appear when summoned (if not, just do the summoning without an animation. remember that position on the screen.

then go to the animation screen and use the options there to create an animation that moved the picture of your ball from somewhere to cover exactly that position on the screen, and time the frames in a way that the picture of the ball covers that area at the moment before the summoning let the actor appear there.

it's a bit of experimenting with anomations to get that right, but no one can do that for you as no one else knows what other plugins and timings you have in your game.

A_Higher_Plane

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
IDK what you mean on here. Maybe I have to use a script on here?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
this has nothing to do with scripts - it has to do with graphics work and how animations are defined in MV.

yes, it is work to learn how to define animations, and many people a too lazy to apply that work, satisfying themselves with the premade default animations. I only know how it is done because I had to check every option and button while translating VXAce years ago.

but for what you want it is absolutely required that you learn how to do that yourself, because even programming can't create such an animation (at least not without programming everything which would be three or four times the work of defining the animation in the database).

And yes, it will probably take you a few dozen hours of experimenting to learn how to use the animation definition if you never did that before. Which is also why I can't guide you through all of that.
But sometimes you have to bite the bit and do the work, or abandoning your idea.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

SwordSkill wrote on TsukiAkari_Otome's profile.
You still interested in joining projects?
Maybe you could take a look at my project.
Do you think horror RM games are still a thing today? :|
Now counting one week of skies alternating between cloud, rain, and heavy winds, in the middle of summer. Sure puts a new meaning to the phrase "strange weather around here"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shini