Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Banner.png

SECTION A: SYNOPSIS
  • A Monster's Heart is a short adventure game with a linear narrative that focuses mainly on gameplay and story telling. There is only one battle at the end of the game, so if you're looking for a combat heavy game, this is the farthest thing from it. This game was made in about 3 weeks for a game jam hosted on itch.io where the theme of the jam is to make a game where the Monster is the hero. So in that regards, A Monster's Heart takes you on an adventure with a lovable green troll as he makes his way through a small labyrinth of tunnels with the help of a small child named Lynzie to find her lost father.
  • Character Switching Mechanic - Switch between the Monster and Lynzie. The Monster his strong and slow and Lynzie is small and nimble.
  • Hunger System to encourage exploration and push forward gameplay - Food and loot drop quantities are randomized.
  • 30-90min of heart warming gameplay
  • "Parallax" Mapping give the game a realistic yet painted look
  • All for the LOW LOW LOW price of $0.00!

IMAGES/SCREENSHOTS
MHCover.jpg
MonsterHeart2.jpg
MonsterHero1.PNG

DOWNLOAD LINK

Credits in Game!

Century2Knight

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Love the details of your parallax mapping. The plot and mechanic seems interesting. I'll download this one and leave a review on your thread. I hope the game gets the drama right.

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You've been hard at work on a fair few games. :D I like the idea of playing as a monster, so I've decided to download it and give it a try. I'll probably rate your game on itch.io afterwards as well. :)

Edit: There's a missing resource error after I filled the little girl's canteen with water from the well. Apparently, a cursor or something is missing.

Last edited:

OnslaughtSupply

Ssshhh...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@The Stranger I'll look into the missing resource. I was down to the wire on the jam's deadline. I always narf something up on deployment lol. I will drop a hot fix somewhere because I can't change the jam entry. Urrggghhh.D:<

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@OnslaughtSupply That'd be great. I'd really like to continue playing, but having two error messages consantly pop up is annoying.

I loved the intro, it was pretty funny. So far, the only criticism I have is that you clip through loads of stuff, especially in the cave.

OnslaughtSupply

Ssshhh...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah RMMV doesn't handle collisions for very large characters too well and being pressed for time, I was like it's good enough and just pushed on through. Game jams are fun:dizzy:.

OnslaughtSupply

Ssshhh...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sorry for double post but just uploaded a fix that should work, all I did was add the missing audio, I hope. Truth be told I forgot to include all the audio from the different mini games. Don't really care if I get DQd, it was pretty annoying having that popup every 30 seconds.

Please redownload and just overwrite the old exe. Old saves should work but in case it doesn't, start a new game. I left the page down button to fast forward dialogue on with Yanfly's message core.

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Awesome! Thanks for the fix. Now I can carry on with the adventure. :D

OnslaughtSupply

Ssshhh...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wwweeelll...

A Monster's Heart WON the game jam! In celebration I will be turning this into a bit longer of a game and polish it up some more and re-release it. Thanks for all your support!:rock-left::D:rock-right:

Idiot

save early, save often, save versions
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Congratulations, I'm looking forward to what you come up with!!

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Is it necroposting if I ask for more info in my own months old thread? All the information in the thread is relevant
JRPG TextBox HTML - Part 2:
So I'm resuming work on the Shadowstar Trilogy. I've decided that it will take place between the end of G4 and the start of G5, and two of the Lost Rulers will be Twilight Sparkle and Sunset Shimmer (who is the moon princess in my AU).
Been working on some sprites, My favorite out of all of them is this guy, his name is Moss:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Emileewitt