A New Member Appears!

Sarisa

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Hello everyone! My first RPG Maker game was for the original PlayStation, followed by RPG Maker 2 for the PS2. I later got RPG Maker XP for PC, and also have Manga Maker ComiPo which I see listed under the products section. I never really did much with any of these, but have always wanted to try. Unfortunately as these are all quite a bit older now it seems very intimidating. Would I be better off trying to learn with RPG Maker VX Ace Lite on Steam? I would appreciate any step by step tutorials to make a simple working game to teach me the basics. I looking forward to seeing you all throughout the forums here.

Sephione

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sorry for the reply above idk what happend Xd, bu i would begin learning with rpg maker mv, although it's a bit pricey

overlordmikey

BroCo. Gaming
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Welcome fellow PS1 RPG Maker person! There are lots of helpful people here whom I am sure can help you and many a great resource.

That is where my ability to help you ends because I am actually kinda a beginner despite having been on these forums for a fair amount of time.

But if for some reason you can't come up with characters or a basic story for yer trial run of the system - I'd be happy to help in anyway I can!

DrWho42

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
hi there! welcome!

Sarena

RPG Making since RM95!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Welcome back to the RPG Maker community!

I would personally recommend not limiting yourself to older engines if you're starting in a new engine anyways, since those don't receive regular updates and aren't as compatible with newer resolutions and other enhancements. MV and MZ definitely have a lot of community support and are best suited in my opinion for new learners, since they have pretty much everything that old engines have, but more. For people who are comfortable/attached to older engines and have already started games in those, it makes sense to continue using and not always update, but if you're basically starting from scratch again, I do think it makes sense to go with some of the newer ones if you plan to use some of the new features down the line. There are a lot of features in the newer engines that can make your life a lot easier, and tons of plugins out there that can help even more. Of course VX Ace would be cheaper, but they do have free trials for MV and MZ on the site if you want to try them out before committing to purchasing them, to see if you like them.

If you're looking for step-by-step tutorials, check out YouTube, there are a ton of developers on there that have in-depth tutorials on how to use the tools. And don't be discouraged by the updates they've made to the engine since the older versions that you're familiar with! The core features should all still be there, it just means that there's more functionality for you to explore once you're ready. I started back on RPG Maker 95, and I've loved how much the engine has grown over the years to add more features.

It might even be a fun challenge to try and remake one of your old RPG Maker games in the newer engines to learn how the core functionality transfers over, and what new features you can learn to enhance what you already know.

And as other people mentioned above, if you have specific questions while you're developing, this community will be happy to help you out if you post about it! Have fun :)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Just tested latest update (Map transfers, Credits scene etc...) on MV (with RETRO) and everything thing seems to work as intended!
credits.png
Ugh, can't decide what to make next!
The Dystopia
ikW0BYF.png
Recently got RPG Maker MZ. A bit slower with my current PC but I will be getting a new one soon.
evening progress; pretty happy where this is at so i'll take the rest of the night to myself =w=
5NJGyKY.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sograyish