Not open for further replies.

MikePjr

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
cuz I just remembered that Touchfuzzy said earlier that all presently available assets would still be usable. So we good ;)
That somehow worries me a little.. like they're going to stay the course on asset styles.. but it could also mean that maybe possibly they're adding options for assets like tile sizes.. which i'd like to see more than them just sticking with what MV has..
We might be getting ahead of ourselves though.. the new maker might literally be RPG Maker MV Ace.. or RPG Maker MV Pro.. so not much will change..
This is why i said i'm not getting excited this time.. i'm simply curious.
They're going to have to really WOW me in order for me to get all that excited.

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
have more / less than 6 parameters.
Good point. The way I see how that would work is having lots of parameters and being able to hide the ones you don't want. Easier than trying to add in more later and figuring out how it will affect the character. But then it gets difficult to figure out at what point do you stop. In D&D there are tons of parameters that could be used.. Do you include all of them?

Soryuju

Combat Balance Enthusiast
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
because from a game balancing point as well as a programmer's point it is not as simple as it looks like from a player's point.
And that is with additive results, because if you look more closely neither +50 DEF nor +50% DEF exists in the engine. The trait you're talking about are multiplicative *150% DEF and that is for a lot of reasons.
I have to admit, I don't really follow this argument. Flat stat boosts are commonly available via plugins produced by individuals in their free time, and those plugins don't interfere with the existing stat options at all, so clearly this functionality isn't impossible to code in JS (even if it's more complex than it seems to the layman). KADOKAWA presumably has a team of professional programmers who are making a commercial engine, and the company is marketing that engine as a specialized tool for designing developers' dream RPGs. If the base code for a specialized RPG engine can't handle something as common to RPGs as an option for additive stat boosts, maybe it's time to re-examine how the base code was written.

As for game balance, that really isn't something KADOKAWA needs to be making high-level decisions about for their users. It's frustrating to pay for a program that's supposed to let you "customize every aspect of your game" (quoting from the home page), only to realize that actually means going on a plugin hunt as soon as you decide your game should have a +10 ATK buff.

I love MV and fully understand that it's just supposed to provide a skeleton for making RPGs, but sometimes even that skeleton seems like it's missing a few bones.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
so clearly this functionality isn't impossible to code
I never said that it is impossible to code - I said that it needs much more thought than you assumed.
The problem is multiple debuffs and the fact that the programmer for the editor can't know in advance how often the developer will use a trait.
If you have a trait *60% (which is a high but common debuff strength) then it doesn't matter how often the debuff is added in which way, you can multiply that one as often as you like without problems.
On the other hand if the trait was to be -40% (which would be the same on first stage debuff), then you can apply it a maximum of two times - the third time would make the value negative (-120% total), and then the programmer would have to program in failsafes against negative values and similar things.

And nothing can change that - but if you add that only as a plugin then the original programmer is no longer forced to support parts that are caused by the user/developer making something that uses a default option too often or in the wrong way.

bblizzard

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Croatian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
IDK if anybody mentioned it yet, but please fix the battle system in the new RM. (^_^') Using WIndow_BattleLog as sequencer creates all kind of problems if someone doesn't want a battle window as the current design violates the MVC design pattern on multiple levels. So it's very difficult to change or expand the battle system without breaking a lot of the other pieces. (^_^')

Oh, and please bring back map fogs. :D

Wavelength

Edge of Eternity
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
ACTUALLY speaking of sequestering myself in frontview, the fact all the enemies face right even though the compositioning is SOOOOOOOOOO BAAAAAAAAAAAAD on sideview is criminal...
And the ENEMY ART IS BUILT AROUND YOU CHOOSING THIS ON PURPOSE
I liked your well-put-together thoughts on the sideview art in MV (I don't necessarily agree with all of it, but you brought up some good points), and the comparison to RM2K3.

The idea that the enemy art is built around using sideview in MV is a good observation. At first I thought - you're right, this crappy priority on sideview is ruining both types! But then I thought some more, and I can't come up with any way that we might have art that would work convincingly in both frontview and sideview, without drawing completely separate versions (and therefore only being able to make half the number of creatures).

You seem to have a lot of thoughts on the sideview art styles, so is there anything you have in mind to reconcile the difference between frontview and sideview for an upcoming version? Or would you rather the editor no longer offered a choice between the two perspectives?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
without drawing completely separate versions
I think even Kadokawa realised this, that is after all why they had two different folders and switch which folder to use depending on the view mode set.
Unfortunately they never got around to providing two different artworks for each enemy - if they had this would have been much better.
Most likely budget cuts - the programmer planned it that way and the bosses decide that they won't pay more to get two different pictures for each enemy.

Tea's Jams

I'm human
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That's pretty harsh to say when you know that it's because of fans that even if they were disappointed once still loved to dream to make their own game one day.
Take for example Archeia, she has been there since Rpg Maker XP at least way before it was released officially same for some admins on this website. Same for Celianna or Lunarea, they made tons of free resources during Ace.
They might never released a game or full game but they still love the software and contributed to the community (Also did you know that some staff here were the ones who contacted Japan branch to be able to officially translate the software over sea?! Because before Rpg Maker Vx, it was only through piracy and fan translation that you could use Rpg Maker)

So what you just said it's an insult to the community who loves to dream and carried this software through the decade and made what is today a reality. Don't underestimate dreamers wallets, thanks.

It's funny that you would mention Archeia. She is one of those people who has worked her butt off on this new engine. I know that the negativity I commented on saddens her.

Also, I'm not talking to or about the community as a whole, but those who disparage the ones who have done so much hard work on this project. I have a feeling the community as a whole is not insulted by my comment at all. The community as a whole has received this announcement very well, I'm commenting on the negative few.

I figure the ones who will be insulted are the ones who disparage the creators. My feelings don't change even if I insult the few who are complaining about the new engine release, their negativity insults me.

Driftwood Gaming

For just $1 a day you can prevent forest fires...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
...They might never released a game or full game b...

So what you just said it's an insult to the community who loves to dream and carried this software through the decade and made what is today a reality. Don't underestimate dreamers wallets, thanks.
Although Archeia typically makes software (like RPG Maker and Visual Novel Maker) she has also made games. This is a game that was made (at least in part in part) by Archeia

This is a game made by Celianna:

There are probably more that I'm forgetting. I just wanted to clarify.

As for the last part of your quote I'm not sure what you mean by Tea's comments being an insult to the community. Are you the spokesperson on behalf of the entire community of RPG dreamers? No, you're not and probably shouldn't speak for others without their permission. You can only assume and in this instance you would also be wrong.

Soryuju

Combat Balance Enthusiast
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I never said that it is impossible to code - I said that it needs much more thought than you assumed.
The problem is multiple debuffs and the fact that the programmer for the editor can't know in advance how often the developer will use a trait.
If you have a trait *60% (which is a high but common debuff strength) then it doesn't matter how often the debuff is added in which way, you can multiply that one as often as you like without problems.
On the other hand if the trait was to be -40% (which would be the same on first stage debuff), then you can apply it a maximum of two times - the third time would make the value negative (-120% total), and then the programmer would have to program in failsafes against negative values and similar things.

And nothing can change that - but if you add that only as a plugin then the original programmer is no longer forced to support parts that are caused by the user/developer making something that uses a default option too often or in the wrong way.
My point is that when you have a company aiming to sell the definitive engine for producing a specific genre of game, addressing those challenges should be part of what the programmers are being paid to do. If I want to purchase the company's product, but I learn that popular, common functionality was scrapped specifically because of the need to design failsafes for those systems, then I'm going to consider looking elsewhere.

Scheduling disruptions, budget shortages, executive meddling - I can be sympathetic to developers on those issues, especially if missing functionality comes later with updates. But if the reasoning behind the decision to exclude common, expected functionality is something like "we can save time/money by making the hobbyist plugin creators support those things for us," then I'm going to raise an eyebrow. It's not really a good look for a tool which is supposed to be the premier engine for designing within the genre.

Tactical battle system, or pixel movement, or other bells and whistles? Sure, leave those advanced functionalities to plugins. But +10 ATK? That should be something users can reasonably expect an RPG engine to handle, even if it means some extra tasks for the people being paid to make the product.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The code already has failsafe if the value is negative since VXAce, I see no reason not to add this option.
Screenshot_291.jpg
And by additive, I don't think it means -40% (percentage), but flat -40 stat (not a percentage)

MikePjr

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I feel like i've opened Pandora's box..
I just dislike being told I can't be negative...
I mean, i get it if someone does something just to be nice.. you can't complain..
it's like that saying.. "don't look a gift horse in the mouth".

Anyhow... if Archaia was involved.. i have a bit more faith in what ever this engine ends up being.
She knows her stuff.

Tea's Jams

I'm human
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm probably more sensitive to a negative response to this announcement just because I kind of know what it feels like to be on the receiving end. Drifty and I hold a game jam every year for the community. It's a lot of work for us and a labor of love. We don't have to, but want to give something nice to the community we love. Every year people complain because it's not exactly what they want, this year one person was SO negative we were forced to ban them from our chat community server.

It actually hurts when you do so much work to give a gift to the community and get that kind of push back.

If a person doesn't like the idea of a new engine, they don't have to get it. Why make the people that worked for you feel bad?

Anyway, I'm not going to comment anymore, since after this point, I will just be repeating myself. I just want to say, I love all you guys, that includes anyone who's been negative. And again thank you so much Kadowkowa, Degica and everyone who made this new engine a possibility! You guys rock, I'm so stoked to see what you all did, I'm sure it will be absolutely epic! :D <3

TheoAllen

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If I want to fight negativity, I fight it with a reason like I do in this thread why that can't happen. Not just telling people to stop because I don't believe that would work. There are several unreasonable requests and added negativity around it. Because they just don't know what is going on in the background.

Unfortunately, since some people just lack understanding of what's going on in the background both the company side and the back-end code, some people just want something to happen without offering a solution (which is typical customer demand, to be honest. They're paying the product). But since I have no affiliation with the company, I'm free to tell them whatever I believe why they decided to do it that way.

Wavelength

Edge of Eternity
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I did not mean to start a discussion. Indeed, I never solde my stuff yet... And tax is certainly not my point of expertise.
However, this is horribly off topic. :p I did not expect to be quotes so many times. It is hard to keep track of it all. (I wish I got that much response when I am right...) :p
Lol! Yeah, don't worry too much - it's just that I sensed that an objection to what I think is the single most important and necessary thing we could add to RPG Maker (an in-engine Asset Store) was coming from a place of ignorance, so it was very important to me to clear up your misconception about whether an official store taking 30% would starve artists (it doesn't). I didn't mean to browbeat you. :)

Several years ago I did devote a lot of time creating RPG Maker scripts that I was hoping I'd be able to make enough money on I could do it full-time, and what I found was that without an official channel to go through it was extremely hard for anyone to find me. I didn't earn anything at all from my public scripts (at least I was able to parlay it into a few commissions).

===

1. I am finding it amusing how many people are misusing the word "bloat" as something interchangeable with "lazy" or "out of touch with the current market and so don't know what the Industry Standards are".
To the first point, if you want to know what "Bloat" actually is... Go look up "Star Citizen". THAT is bloat. People requesting features that most people on these forums change for every game they create... That's not bloat. That is "necessary".
I think when people were bringing up bloat (at least the way I read it when people like Shaz mentioned bloat), they were making the point that adding too many features inside the engine (as default functionality rather than plugins) would badly hamper the deployed game's performance and processing.

For example, a couple people mentioned adding in the entire Yanfly suite, and while a lot of Yanfly's added features are very useful and welcome, if you've ever tried turning on the whole suite (and using most of its features) in an MV project, loading that project up with a realistic number of events (such as 40 events and 1 parallel process event per map), and running it on a mid-range Windows PC (forget the HTML target!)... well, it doesn't run that well, because there's just far too much the game needs to run under the hood.

Additionally, "bloat" can be about adding too much complexity to the core editor - making newer users get completely lost. Not being able to find functionality due to "too much noise" is a small issue, but the bigger issue is if a feature would force you to take extra steps in order to get the most basic game to work. (RPG Maker 2 on the PlayStation was notorious for this - it offered so much flexibility, but most people who tried it, including a 15-year-old me, couldn't even get their character to walk on a map).

I kind of come down in the middle here - I think that if a feature is something that almost all decent developers would benefit from in almost any RPG they could want to make, and the feature is something that wouldn't make it any more difficult/confusing to make your first "Ralph crosses the map and fights the Boss" game, then I think it's probably worth adding. Yanfly's Skill Core and State Core are great examples of things that would make the Editor a far better tool. On the other hand, if a feature is specialized to a small number of games, requires a lot of processing power, or would make "Ralph crosses the map" harder to make, it's probably best left to outside plugins. Yanfly's Area of Effect and Weak Enemy Poses plugins are good examples - great plugins that work best as plugins rather than core features in the editor.

===

On asset store topic:
Now on the topic of the asset store itself. I get where you came from. And if they wanted to implement the store, the best start would be to integrate the RMW store first. However, they also sell the DLC on Steam (heck, the main engines are on Steam as well for more potential software buyers). I'm not suuuure now how that could work with the store. If they want to start the store, they better be prepared and I don't think right now they're prepared enough for it.

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike the asset store idea. I'm just not optimistic enough for that to happen anytime soon (or at all).
Without a doubt, the in-engine asset store would require a lot of planning and a lot of work to implement, not to mention a little bit of disruption toward the asset channels used in the past. You may very well be right that it won't happen in the next version of RPG Maker or anytime soon. But I hope that it does!! I think it would truly be a breakthrough for RPG Maker as a game development engine. And it makes a lot of business sense from all sides, too.

On page script eval condition:
Well, page condition eval script is not entirely impossible. And actually, as a designer, it is your responsibility to "manually refresh the map". Here is an implementation that could work. Consider that page eval condition exists (adding the condition is easy to implement, refreshing isn't) and you want the event page to switch if the actor HP below a certain value. For whatever minigame you have on that specific map.
  • Consider you have a map hazard that needs to avoid. And your HP drops if you make a contact with it.
  • On the contact, you reduce the actor HP using event commands as well as calling $game_map.need_refresh = true, that will manually refresh the map, and the page will be switched.
The problem is now you need to it manually whereas RPG Maker should handle it for you. I believe this is what you have asked. Maybe you just didn't encounter a case when the Hime script just fails to do its job.
As far as I can tell, Hime's script has never failed to do its job. No matter what wacky conditions I add into the Custom Page Conditions, the events refresh perfectly.

I think I do get what you are saying, but if you're worried about the processing load becoming very high when lots of events need to have conditions checked each frame (instead of only when, for example, a Switch is changed), then wouldn't it make sense to have the engine track which events need to be re-evaluated when certain things are changed (e.g. only events with a "Harold has State X" condition will be checked when Harold gains/loses a state), instead of triggering a need_refresh for the entire map?

Adding more conditions is a more reasonable request. As for now, one thing that drives me crazy is the fact that variable condition only lets you set it to a certain value and above. Why no other choices like exact value or below? Granted, the workaround exists, but it's inconvenient. I see no reason why they need to keep it that way.
Yeah, the "is X or above" page condition always struck me as a strange limitation, too. I could certainly get behind "more page conditions" as an improvement over what we have now! But in my honest assessment having Event Page conditions be as flexible as Conditional Branch conditions is important enough in creating games that it would be worth a small performance hit.

On event x event trigger topic:
Exactly this is the reason why they need the editor itself should be editable/moddable. However, I have no idea how to make the editor itself editable. The editable editor itself has many challenges on its own that I'm also not optimistic enough for that to happen. The only editable editor I know was just Unity. You drop the script component to the object and it will have an exact property field you defined in the C# script.
I would love for the Editor to be more moddable! When I first heard about Plugins in MV, and how they would "offer a front-end interface to change how your game works", this is what I was dreaming of! I thought our "plugins" would be able to add tools and controls to the editor itself that would interact with scripts. I was so freaking excited for it. As it turned out I misunderstood it, and at least so far, RM's devs have been (very understandably) hesitant to open up the Editor's code for modding.

I don't know whether that will change in the future or not, but it's one of the main reasons (alongside compatibility) that I'd rather have something like Event x Event triggers built into the editor rather than offered only by plugins. When there's a control for it in the editor, it's a lot harder to mess things up than when you have to manage things with free text notetags scattered across events.

On auto-backup topic:
I'm also no expert on OS-related process (I'm only good at programming logic and algorithm). But as for office software, it is probably easier because they only handle a single file. The entire RPG Maker project? it has many files. To be fair, it is not entirely impossible. All you need to do is to make the RPG Maker software to have "service" run on the background to constantly check and if a certain time passed, make a clone ONLY the data files. Because that is where the important thing matters. If those files corrupt, you have to start over. But if only the assets are corrupted, you can put a placeholder. No need to have the entire project. However, I also have no idea how hard it would be to make a service to do so.
It's beyond my pay grade for now :D

On resource stripper topic:
This [400MB early demos] is funny and I can relate it so well. Probably one of the huge list of the reasons why I still like VXAce.
It always surprised me that the series moved away from having a centralized RunTime Package! (And it's one of the reasons I'm a big XP/Ace fan, as well.) A Resource-Stripping tool would go a long way towards making the new approach feel good.

Wasting the player's drive space is true, but I'm not sure about the performance hit. I mean if it just sitting there unloaded, why would it hit performance?
I thought that the MV Engine had to load all resources at least once (even if they weren't going to ever be displayed in game). I could definitely be wrong on that point.

To be fair, A resource stripper is a valid idea. However, they should state it clearly that it's not a silver bullet especially when it comes to detecting files used in plugins. It just there is no easy way to do so. And don't get me wrong, I actually made my own script to list the resource used in the VXAce project with addition to stop the game from crashing when a resource is missing while also record what is missing in a separate text file so I could look it up.
Total agreement! The theoretical Resource Stripper would be completely reliable in basic games, but once players are using plugins or script lines that dynamically name resources, it would be up to the designer to add those resources back in. I think it wouldn't be too hard to express that in some help text that could display when choosing whether or not to use the Stripper during deployment.

And wow, you created a script that prevents the game from crashing when a resource is missing? That's awesome, man!! That would honestly be a nice feature for an engine, too. Glancing through your script I see a lot of Rescue blocks, which makes sense for this kind of thing. Once the player has attempted to load a graphic into the game (and can't because it doesn't exist), what happens if the player then tries to manipulate that graphic? Is that also covered by the Rescues throughout your script?

Once again man, thanks for all your thoughts on my ideas, it's a pleasure talking through them with you.

Now give back my two hours!

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Eh, criticism is fine. As long as people aren't being nasty I don't care.

I do think that a lot of the discussion is kind of wild though at this point, because the criticisms are entirely hypothetical since we haven't even announced anything other than it exists.

Cyberhawk

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm probably more sensitive to a negative response to this announcement just because I kind of know what it feels like to be on the receiving end. Drifty and I hold a game jam every year for the community. It's a lot of work for us and a labor of love. We don't have to, but want to give something nice to the community we love. Every year people complain because it's not exactly what they want, this year one person was SO negative we were forced to ban them from our chat community server.

It actually hurts when you do so much work to give a gift to the community and get that kind of push back.

If a person doesn't like the idea of a new engine, they don't have to get it. Why make the people that worked for you feel bad?

Anyway, I'm not going to comment anymore, since after this point, I will just be repeating myself. I just want to say, I love all you guys, that includes anyone who's been negative. And again thank you so much Kadowkowa, Degica and everyone who made this new engine a possibility! You guys rock, I'm so stoked to see what you all did, I'm sure it will be absolutely epic! :D <3
I get that , although it can't be helped. I have a love/ mild to moderate distaste relationship w/ MV. Much of the negativity stems from MV's reception. There's going to be speculation since all we got is an anouncement. Imo it's far easier to notice the negativity about something than positivity from it. Especially when all you can do is really speculate at the current moment.

ImaginaryVillain

Now A YouTube Cool Kid! =D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Absurdism
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Some people just bought industrial packs of torches and pitchfolks, and they feel like they won't get their money's worth if they don't use them. So they have to dream up fake things to be outraged about... Like a product they don't know anything about, but must somehow be bad for not having what they think it should... Even before they know if it has it. :LZSwink:

TheoAllen

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
On page script eval condition:
I think I do get what you are saying, but if you're worried about the processing load becoming very high when lots of events need to have conditions checked each frame (instead of only when, for example, a Switch is changed), then wouldn't it make sense to have the engine track which events need to be re-evaluated when certain things are changed (e.g. only events with a "Harold has State X" condition will be checked when Harold gains/loses a state), instead of triggering a need_refresh for the entire map?
Actually you're right. it is better to just refresh that specific event instead of the whole map. And when I looked at the code, you can totally do this by calling this line --> $game_map.events[id].refresh and this will only refresh this specific event, not the entire map.

On resource stripper topic:
I thought that the MV Engine had to load all resources at least once (even if they weren't going to ever be displayed in game). I could definitely be wrong on that point.
I don't think they would preload all the resources at once. Doing so would require a "loading screen" as many games do. Or at least a performance hit at the beginning of the game. The default behavior always loads the resource on demand rather than load all of them. Except maybe you're using preload plugins which totally make sense if you thought this way.

And wow, you created a script that prevents the game from crashing when a resource is missing? That's awesome, man!! That would honestly be a nice feature for an engine, too. Glancing through your script I see a lot of Rescue blocks, which makes sense for this kind of thing. Once the player has attempted to load a graphic into the game (and can't because it doesn't exist), what happens if the player then tries to manipulate that graphic? Is that also covered by the Rescues throughout your script?
If they load a resource that does not exist, I simply replace it with the blank bitmap if it's an image resource. Then I record the file path. if it was the audio, I'd just don't play it (or mute the current audio if it was the BGM). There will be a notification window if the resource is missing, but it won't crash. The players are free to continue. If the one that missing is the enemy battler, they just don't see the enemy. So the players have a chance to save their progress and report it to me if something is missing without losing their progress. Whenever I want to build the demo, I also do this. Strips all the resources I suspected that I didn't use it. And play through my own game to see if something is missing.

-------
Let's keep this going, shall we :D

On change actor graphic topic:
An option in the Features Box on the Class, Weapon, Armor, and State tabs called "Actor Graphic", which automatically changes the actor's graphic to the specified graphic when the actor has this Class/Equip/State applied. Sub-options include Actor (choose "all actors" or only a specific actor), Graphic (choose the new target graphic for that actor or for all actors), and Priority (if the actor has multiple Actor Graphic features applied, the highest Priority feature will be used). When the class/equip/state is removed, the actor's graphic will revert to their last (non-feature) graphic. (Change Actor Graphic event commandswould be given a checkbox option to "Override Actor Graphic Features", which would ensure that the graphic changes even if an Actor Graphic feature is present on the actor.)
  • This would allow designers to visually show states that characters are suffering from (such as Dragon Warrior's coffins for KO'ed party members), weapons that actors have equipped, or special class graphics for characters, on the adventure map.
As someone who has dynamically changed graphics based on various factors, it's way complicated than it sounds. It is not impossible (I managed to make it work), but wouldn't it just complicate the engine? It is not a basic functionality that should exist, it just an aesthetic pleasure to be able to see the graphic changed by many conditions and factors. Additionally, if they promote the graphic changed based on those conditions. They should also provide the basic RTP resource to do so as "an example" on how to use it. This would cost the production of the RTP asset itself alongside with the feature that is not even important, to begin with. Additionally, I have no idea where "all actors" case would be best used except it is probably only good for "transformation".

On pixel movement topic:
Designer can choose whether to have events move one "tile" at a time, or four pixels at a time. Collisions could still be kept to tile-based bounding boxes in order to keep things simple, but movement would be much sleeker. Designer could turn Pixel Movement on and off mid-game using Event Commands. Movement commands using pixel values could be entered into Move Routes.
  • This would greatly improve the game's slightly clunky "8-bit" feel, and allow designers to create more exciting light action segments.
Having a pixel movement as a toggle is almost like having to have a toggle to switch from a turn-based battle system into a tactical game. It is entirely different. It is not impossible, but if they do, they need to be prepared that every movement in the base code already in pixel movement, which is, again, possible.

However, the collision boxes may not as simple as you thought. For the tile-based movement, it is far too simple to implement.
  • You want to move to the left
  • The system checks if the tile on the left is passable
  • Then the system checks if you collide with any event and if yes, check if it triggers the event
  • Turned out it is possible to move.
  • You move, your character physical coordinate information changed from (1,1) to (0,1)
  • Your actual character display coordinate does not. it stayed at (48,48).
  • The system gradually move your character toward (0,48)
  • While doing so, you're unable to input the movement (it's locked until you arrive at the destination).
  • The event touch/player touch event trigger could happen when both of their physical coordinates happen to meet at the moment when either of them checks that specific coordinate even though their display coordinate does not actually represent their actual position (yet)
Now a simple question to the pixel movement if you still want the collision box would be in the tile-based. If I'm in the coordinate (24,48). Am I belong to (0,1) or am I belong to (1,1)? Or am I misinterpreting your words?

On Advanced Event Animation Options topic:
Allow Events to use any number of "walking" frames, not just 3. Have an option in the editor to "Enable Advanced Event Animation", which enables a numeric field in the Event Display Options box (alongside "Walk Anim", "Direction Fix", etc.) where the designer can input the Number of Frames (columns of sprites) the event graphic contains, and a checkbox "Cycle Animation" which indicates the animation should loop rather than reverse (e.g. frame 1-2-3-1-2-3-1 instead of the default 1-2-3-2-1-2-3).
  • Number of Frames would be useful for games with custom character graphics that have more (or less) than 3 animation frames. Cycle Animation would be extremely useful for animated "events" like rotating waterwheels, especially when combined with a large number of frames.
This idea is not bad but putting a number manually would break the convention that RPG Maker tried to preserve for a sake of "user-friendliness". The only number you would need to manually put would just in the set variable value or the damage formula. Everything else most of the time is a dropdown list. Set animation id? dropdown. Show balloon icon? dropdown. Pick the character index? you choose it in WYSIWYG editor.

Now speaking of the character index, requesting to pick specific character index in move route --> change graphic is a feasible idea and would be a total improvement. As for now (in VXAce) you only have an option to choose the whole set in the move route command, not the specific index/pattern like you do when you're choosing the graphic on the event page. And then, you have a weird workaround like "Turn Up/Left/Right/Down" just to choose the cell you want to use.

Last edited:

TWings

The Dragon Whisperer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm looking forward to this release, but I'm also worried it might not be worth it.

At this point we still don't know anything. One thing for sure it's too late to send your wishlists. If it's beeing announced now, it's way to late to make any significant changes.
As for people saying it has to stay the same for x reasons, IMO, to release a brand new product, you need to provide something different and new. If it's just more of the same with a a few QoL upgrades and a code rework, it could have been done with MV (even if it had to be a DLC, I understand that everyone has to make a living).

Anyway, I'll keep watching for more news, and hope I'll be suprised by some awesome content.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)

• Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Yo Ho Ho... Time flies when you are having rum...

I'm rewatching Glee, just watched grilled cheesus.
    Now I'm not sure if I'm hungry or I want to cry.
    I just completed Ara Fell - completing the game unlocks an Epilogue. An interesting thing to possibly consider for my games.
    I decided to try to make a mucha-styled artwork, and by now I've sunk more time in studies and sketches than I usually do in the whole thing. Fingers crossed it's worth it!
    Since we have a lot of new faces, please be sure to read the forum rules under the Help tab at the top. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LeoWolf