Juanita Star

Witch of compilations.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVX
I left at page 5 and now is 11, so I will kinda just...

I wonder if the RTP would match with MV... hope so! And maybe some different magic animations? As in, more variety, rare magic skills.

Wathever it brings, I do want to see it. RPG Maker has this thing to remain simple to learn. As long as it keeps that, Im on.

QuietPenguin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
We probably won't get it, but I would definitely like to see a more retro / classic /pixelated RPG look to the sprites and art. I find the Chibi look way too bright / HD / goofy for a serious JRPG.

digitalneos

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Im am eagerly awaiting for the new engine but the chances are I won't be one to buy it right away.

In order for me to be a day 1 purchaser I would need the engine to have some of the basic additions that yanfly created. I dont want to wait for a quest log, a lighting system, the ability to change screen size, animated side battlers, etc.

I understand that rpg maker is usually basic base engine to be built off of but the legends have retired and that is worrying to me.

KaYsEr

Koruldia
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's funny that you would mention Archeia. She is one of those people who has worked her butt off on this new engine. I know that the negativity I commented on saddens her.
Anyhow... if Archaia was involved.. i have a bit more faith in what ever this engine ends up being.
She knows her stuff.
That's a really good news! It's reassuring on many levels.

I think the word here isn’t necessary negativity but anxiety. Maybe the fear of being left behind, a new RM usually has consequences for the previous RM. Let's hope some kind of conversion will be possible with some work. If we’re dealing with a Pixi.js update (+ engine overhaul) the benefit for performances would be really interesting, and of course no more audio lag.^^.

Juanita Star

Witch of compilations.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVX
We probably won't get it, but I would definitely like to see a more retro / classic /pixelated RPG look to the sprites and art. I find the Chibi look way too bright / HD / goofy for a serious JRPG.
I think this is why I love mac sprites. The chibi look never did it for me.

K2loid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I liked your well-put-together thoughts on the sideview art in MV (I don't necessarily agree with all of it, but you brought up some good points), and the comparison to RM2K3.

The idea that the enemy art is built around using sideview in MV is a good observation. At first I thought - you're right, this crappy priority on sideview is ruining both types! But then I thought some more, and I can't come up with any way that we might have art that would work convincingly in both frontview and sideview, without drawing completely separate versions (and therefore only being able to make half the number of creatures).

You seem to have a lot of thoughts on the sideview art styles, so is there anything you have in mind to reconcile the difference between frontview and sideview for an upcoming version? Or would you rather the editor no longer offered a choice between the two perspectives?
The very simplistic chibi battlers in DS+ are a good place to start; it's all colour blocking, and seems like the kind of thing one could do quickly. There's also the option of having 3/4 enemies and add a different head/wing/etc to adjust, so they don't need completely new characters for each one. Perhaps even combining the two; very simple, colourblocked enemies at 3/4 with forward and side facing parts?

Honestly, as much as I like frontview & its options, I would be fine with completely stripping it if it means money and dev time put elsewhere, especially since the only popular modern RPG that does simple front-facing turn-based combat is like...Etrian Odyssey? And Earthbound clones. But MV having sideview battler and frontview battler folders makes things so simple...hm........

Well, if we're close enough to release that they're getting ready to announce it, I guess the point is moot, but it's interesting to think about.

lol my focus on template assets...But the look of the RTP has always been at the forefront of my brain because of how it impacts the visible identity of the engine & beginner creators who can't draw or afford constant purchases/commissions to get the best assets. It seems with each new engine with new, bigger canvases, the visual element gets worse and worse. I have a small essay's worth of salt on the problems with like, the entire art direction of MV, particularly the tilesets, which are the most intimidating for beginners to work with. It's VERY small potatoes in comparison to actual function issues, since assets can be swapped out (and function issues that fix visual issues - like the ability to adjust battle screen layouts - are even more useful), but it's my bugbear. If the next engine is ugly too I will cry

anyway [phases the previous pages of discussion out of my brain because I am too small-brained and isolated to understand it all]

Juanita Star

Witch of compilations.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVX
Just a heads up. The news will be coming over the next several weeks. Right now we are just announcing it is coming, it will be next week before we announce new information. I just don't want people playing F5 season on the site expecting new news every day.

One piece of information I can share though is MV tilesets, sprites, etc will work with the new RM. I can't go into the full detail, but don't want people to think that their purchases are all going out the window if they switch.
Didnt saw this. In other words, the graphic aspect remains the same or simply wont clash. While this is a indeed good move, I never really clicked with the MV style, preferring FSM more. But is just my taste.

In any case, people who bought material can rest easy.

velan235

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
Yes! more dynamic value rather than predetermined value (choices = n instead of 1 to 6, movespeed at float value instead of slowest - fastest, pixel size, base stats ID (ie. like ditching LUK , or for those who only use HP and ATK stats) or everything that could use n value instead of limited predetermined that need to be added from plugin).

Any fix that Yanfly did to MV should be taken into consideration for base scripts.

Management of event/switches/variable/database in general to be more.... manageable? MV project is horrible when you want to refactor switches/database. We need at least a degree of control for variable (and conditions) like normal programming would do instead of menu-based-hard-coupled conditional. After I tried Unity/Godot, just realize how bonker menu-based programming that RM Event has.

If it's something like Ace with minimal updates, then gladly would skip. They are taking 5 years instead of usual 3 years jump, with all the threads about "What would you like to have in MV / future makers", they should already at least list the common problem that users have.

At least in pixel game maker, it's shown that even you put a lot of dynamic value in the maker, it still holds true as a maker engine.

also, it's a good time to start less concern about "Maker should be easy enough for beginner" because you already have RM MV for that. The new one should be RPGMAKER with dynamic functionality like Pixel Game Maker

Last edited:

Piyan Glupak

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Too late for wish-lists but...

What would be really nice would be what seems to me to be a small improvement in the condition branch (If.. Then... Else). When checking whether a switch is on or not, or the value stored in a variable, it would be nice to be able to check a switch or variable whose number was stored in a variable. This saves having to work out the syntax of something like "$gameVariables.value($gameVariables.value(20))" or "$gameSwitches.value($gameVariables.value(19))" if you haven't used RPG Maker for a while.

TMS

Guy with Mask
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
So there will now be... four RPG Makers that my lazy ass has failed to complete a game on before the next came out.

One simple thing I'd like to see from this new one (and, unlike a lot of the stuff people have posted, it's not much to ask) is either a front-view battle system like XP's, or a side-view battle system that doesn't use those Lilliputian sprites for the party members. VX's front-view battle system was a major step backwards from XP's, and none of the Makers since have fixed it. I want players to be able to see the characters they're controlling and the enemies' attacks on those characters, instead of a boring scroll of text. And I'd prefer those characters to be at least somewhat to scale with the enemies and with their surroundings.

Dalph

Nega Ralph™ (Overlord of Memes)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian Curses
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I remember when MV was announced over 5 years ago, hype was at the stars, and at the release many were disappointed.
It's usually what happens when something is overhyped, people have unrealistically high expectations.
Granted that MV wasn't so good at the release, but after some patching they did, we have a solid "enough" engine nowdays.
I still think MV is much better than ACE in many ways (except the RTP), maybe this one will be better than MV? It's possible.
ACE was also better than VX after all.

All I want is better performance, I want to be able to use many events, pictures and effects in big maps, without worrying too much about frame drops.

Arolandis

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I love MV and I'll be using it still for at least a couple more years since I'm working on a project with it, but I'm really happy to see a new iteration of RPG Maker coming soon to keep this great engine going.

Might be fun to write scripts for it depending on what the new features are.

PixelHeart

The Pixel Heartist!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
@Dalph - as I recollect, initially MV was announced months in advance in September 15..... then mere days later the release date was changed to the very next month in October.... I got the impression that the devs were just as surprised at the news as we were. As hyped as I was about it then, I hope they won't be so hasty this time.

Dalph

Nega Ralph™ (Overlord of Memes)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian Curses
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@PixelHeart
Personally they can take all the time they want, people will still stick with MV for a while for several reasons that are quite obvious. You know what they say:
A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad.

Parallax Panda

Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hm, watching SRD's first hype video (he seems very hyped, and that makes me happy since he made so many cool plugins for MV), something that stuck with me is that he mentioned RPG Maker MV Trinity, the console releases.

In Trinity, there are a bunch of new features that are superior to the original "PC" MV we all here use. SRD said he assumes some of those features are very likely to be carried over to the next RM and I'd have to agree. Stuff like built-in foreground parallax as well the normal background parallax, right there in the engines map settings (unless my memory fails me).

I'd even go as far as making another prediction, which is that it's possible they'll take some of the expanded RTP made for trinity (they had voice actors and additional tilesets, large bust portraits etc) and put that in the next RM's RTP and just slightly add to it instead of making something entirely new. Because even if this is kinda sneaky, it would still be "fresh" content for the PC audience, and it would cost KADOKAWA nothing or very little to do this. I'd much prefer it if they just repackaged all that new content in a Trinity DLC pack but... you never know. They could do this... Maybe.

If that's what we're going to get though, I pray to the holy RM god that they at least decides to overhaul ALL character sprites (and add more) in the same style that they used for the free "Dark Fantasy DLC".
Those tall RTP sprites and SV battlers do look incredibly nice and if we got a complete set of those as well as a new character generator that could create such sprites... oh boy, then I'd be super happy. Even if they did port the Trinity RTP we'll still probably get at least a new sprite sheet of heroes since they need a new face that's not Harold's to represent the new RM anyway.

Even if that's all possible I still lean towards it's not being the case. They'll probably give us completely new RTP. UNLESS, this new engine is an "RPG MAKER MV Ace" or "RPG MAKER MV Pro", etc. If that's the case I'd say the above is very, very probable.

But yeah... well, speculations, speculations.

On a side note, I know you're reading this SRD (I'm a psychic!). I really hope you "come back" and remake your best plugin(s) if needed. That being the Super Tools Engine (and HUD maker). If not, I might throw an inter-dimensional banana peel your way... It could be super dangerous. Just sayin'.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Additionally, "bloat" can be about adding too much complexity to the core editor - making newer users get completely lost. Not being able to find functionality due to "too much noise" is a small issue, but the bigger issue is if a feature would force you to take extra steps in order to get the most basic game to work. (RPG Maker 2 on the PlayStation was notorious for this - it offered so much flexibility, but most people who tried it, including a 15-year-old me, couldn't even get their character to walk on a map).

I kind of come down in the middle here - I think that if a feature is something that almost all decent developers would benefit from in almost any RPG they could want to make, and the feature is something that wouldn't make it any more difficult/confusing to make your first "Ralph crosses the map and fights the Boss" game, then I think it's probably worth adding. Yanfly's Skill Core and State Core are great examples of things that would make the Editor a far better tool. On the other hand, if a feature is specialized to a small number of games, requires a lot of processing power, or would make "Ralph crosses the map" harder to make, it's probably best left to outside plugins. Yanfly's Area of Effect and Weak Enemy Poses plugins are good examples - great plugins that work best as plugins rather than core features in the editor.
A lot of good, small features that were in older Makers got removed, and for what? Under the excuse of "bloat"? An extra tick box here and there doesn't hurt anybody. Stuff like enemy float/transparency on the troops page, or a screen shake effect on battle animations, or being able to choose whether facesets should appear left or right on the text box on the add dialogue event wouldn't confuse anyone. They were available in older Makers, and I've yet to hear good reasons as to why they're no longer there. And it's really annoying, because finding plugins just to plug these tiny missing features is a nightmare.

JohnDoeNews

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Eh, criticism is fine. As long as people aren't being nasty I don't care.

I do think that a lot of the discussion is kind of wild though at this point, because the criticisms are entirely hypothetical since we haven't even announced anything other than it exists.
Most people are speculating here. But uhm... There are some things we do know, other than that is exists:
- We can use 48*48 size graphics, like MV
- We can not use plugins made for MV

But uhm... Don't let all the speculation discourage you... The fact that everyone is talking about what could be and what not, is a good thing. You said 3 words "new maker coming" and the whole community forgot about corona. All they talk about is the new maker.

NarutoButUchiha

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hmm since Galv and Yanfly retired, and for example I used galv's credits page and yanfly's class change core which should have been in rmmv i Hope these features will be bultin in new RPG maker ....

HalcyonDaze

Smoke and Mirrors
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hm, watching SRD's first hype video (he seems very hyped, and that makes me happy since he made so many cool plugins for MV), something that stuck with me is that he mentioned RPG Maker MV Trinity, the console releases.
Was SRDude's video posted somewhere not on YouTube? Because I tried looking for it, and it says he hasn't uploaded anything in over a year on his channel. I wouldn't mind seeing what he has to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 3)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

The more I look at the QPlugins... The more I am amazed at what they can do. Which I'm not going to lie is pretty awkward, because I already consider them far and away the best plugins MV has to offer. :kaoback:
spending a week trying to figure out what was wrong with my font has me DED
504 threads to go upon the time of this post until the forum reaches 100k threads. Thread Dead Redemption. Thready Van Halen. Thread Zeppelin. Doesn't have to be a band or a game
Random thought: Looks like putting in effort in learning a language is like a taboo for most people. :kaoswt2:
Not sure about RPG Maker MZ ; We see a lot of things, but they could have enhanced a lot of things in MV first... We're at the era of updates nowadays, not new products over and over and over :/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Player-Unknown