Status
Not open for further replies.

JosephSeraph

White Mage
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
I think folks are overthinking such a feature.
All I'm saying is that I don't see them doing that, but I agree with you on it not needing an RTP to match. Most of the replies do, in fact.

YESYESYESYESYES!!! THIS would be the #1 thing I would hope for - well, not so much 3 layers like XP, but having control over what goes on what layer, like XP. Autotiles on the top layer? Yes, I think I will.
The more you talk about it, the more I feel like that's the feature... BUT......... I'm still far from sure LMAO
Still, I don't remember much about other long requested features... Perhaps an improved animation editor but I do find that highly unlikely lol

xabileug

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
just easier way of creating original window scenes, custom HUD, variable windows and stuff. live2D compatible.. movement of characters to be analog by default. . i've always wanted to do a custom MOBA on rpg maker.. hopefully they have a TCG plugin bonus. and also the ragnarok mmo_style that tomoaky did, would be nice.

MikePjr

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I will say that there is at least 1 feature that has been requested for years and years that is in. And it is one that I'm very excited for.

But I can't tell you what it is cause we haven't announced it yet so ahahaha, dance my monkeys... I mean, look forward to it!
My guess is 3D.
Some form of 3D could be coming.. it's something i've seen asked for, for years.
MV already has a 3D plugin.. MV could further it somehow with easier integration.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
My guess is 3D.
Some form of 3D could be coming.. it's something i've seen asked for, for years.
MV already has a 3D plugin.. MV could further it somehow with easier integration.
It's been asked for years and had been debunked for years why that can't happen. 3 Layers mapping though, all the reason for the automatic map layer is just for "user-friendliness". There is no more reason not to include manual layering. It won't hurt anything. The base code and the data structure that holds the tilemap data doesn't even need to be changed. Just remove the limitation in the editor itself. Unlike 3D.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The more you talk about it, the more I feel like that's the feature... BUT......... I'm still far from sure LMAO
Still, I don't remember much about other long requested features...

There have been dozens of other things that have been requested for many years. Isometric, 3D, multiplayer all come to mind straight away, but I'm sure there are others.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm also thinking it'll be more mapping layer(s). That's one of the biggest long-time requested features, from what I've seen, and is going to be the most universally useful feature they could add, in my opinion.

MikePjr

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This could be anything... there's so many things it could be.. and for all we know, there's several things they've approved.
It's a wait and see thing.
I just hope what ever is shown off next Thursday is substantial and not minuscule.

Last edited:

Piyan Glupak

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I wonder what percentage of the RPG Maker purchasers are people seriously making commercial-quality games, and how many (like myself) are just mucking about with it as rank amateurs, never likely to produce anything worth a customer parting with their money for? Serious developers and either beginners or less serious hobbyists have different wants. I want ease of use, lots of RTP and a good eventing system. From what I gather, more serious people want flexibility, to be able to enhance and adapt it. Some of the previous versions of RPG Maker seem to me to be leaning more towards the serious, extremely competent folk, and some seem to have been intended for ease of beginner use.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
You must have missed the part where i said there's already plugins for it.
There's 3D already MV3D.. https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/mv3d-3d-rendering-for-rmmv-with-babylon-js.114971/
I think the issue here is that you're thinking something more along the lines of the PlayStation 2 RPG Makers.
And i'm saying it could be like the MV3D Plugin, but something more integrated.
You must be missed that I said that isn't exactly 3D
Even someone who requested the 3D model does not seem to endorse it.
Personally, I don't like 3D achieved by that plugin. And I have a high standard for 3D, so unless it meets my standard, just go 2D.

EDIT:
@Piyan Glupak I'm good at overcoming the engine limitation, but I'm an amateur (not serious in making games in RM), and guess what? I still want something easy to use so I don't need to create an unnecessary workaround :D

Last edited:

MikePjr

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I wonder what percentage of the RPG Maker purchasers are people seriously making commercial-quality games, and how many (like myself) are just mucking about with it as rank amateurs, never likely to produce anything worth a customer parting with their money for? Serious developers and either beginners or less serious hobbyists have different wants. I want ease of use, lots of RTP and a good eventing system. From what I gather, more serious people want flexibility, to be able to enhance and adapt it. Some of the previous versions of RPG Maker seem to me to be leaning more towards the serious, extremely competent folk, and some seem to have been intended for ease of beginner use.
So far that's all i've done is muck around.. i've never finished anything.. i won't say why..
But i've never gone much further than making things for my own amusement.. or even fan works.
And even then, nothing's been finished.

MikePjr

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Oh dammit... i double posted..
I'm so sorry mods.. it was a mistake.. i've got the worst internet in existence..
Sometimes i click things, and it doesn't respond.. so i thought maybe i didn't click properly.. it ends up posting twice.. v_v

JosephSeraph

White Mage
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
NSFW RTP ! Now I'm excited too !
LMAO the fact you have a Rance avatar makes this doubly funny

There have been dozens of other things that have been requested for many years. Isometric, 3D, multiplayer all come to mind straight away, but I'm sure there are others.
These are all a bit fantastical though, which makes me think improved mapping might be the one most requested and realistic things..? To be fair though the request list that people've made since 2k is immense... But yeah I just can't nail it down to anything other than this. Puzzling! Being here and combing through info with y'all within this moment is so exciting lol

You must be missed that I said that isn't exactly 3D
You must've missed the part where people said that you're wrong and it is, in fact, 3D, and not pseudo-3D.

If you have a personal dislike for low poly, retro 3D, I understand, but I invite you to rethink the possibilities. All of these are, barring minor adjustments, now doable within MV3D since we can upload our own .obj. :

ff12-revenant-wings-screenshot-3_scale_800_700.jpg
Final%2BFantasy%2BTactics%2BPSP%2B%252856%2529.jpg

Achieving something like this with MV3D is perfectly doable.
xenogears-02.big.jpg

1508screenshot4.jpg

In fact, while achieving some of these things might require workarounds, we even have built-in features that these games do not have access to, such as dynamic lighting (the PS1 had that but MV3D is aeons ahead) and shadows (which the PS1 just flat out didn't have)

Anyway I'm very protective of MV3D, an amazing tool that's VERY competent at what it does (much moreso than any of its honorable RM ancestors) and, at the hands of a good artist, can produce gorgeous, endearing and even very modern results. But, naturally, it is no Unreal Engine 5.

Halcy0n

Smoke and Mirrors
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
After TouchFuzzy's hint, I'm willing to put money on 3+ layer maps being back. Wish he would've specified if it was a returning feature, or an all-new feature for the RM series. I personally, would prefer more than 3 layers. Maybe even infinite layers lol.

If it's an all-new, heavily-requested feature, then I would guess perhaps it's a alternate battle system of some sort. Couldn't guess what kind though. Having the options and tools necessary to create a Zelda-esque RPG out of the box would be a dream, but I'm smart enough to know that's highly unlikely.

On a separate note, I REALLY hope the RM2020 RTP doesn't clash too heavily with MV's (which I'm assuming it won't). And for the love of god, please, no more of these "chibi" character sprites. VX's sprites were hideous, and MV's were only a marginal improvement. I get that they're supposed to be "cute" or something, and probably cheaper to produce because less pixels = less time to draw. But taking the John Hammond approach and sparing no expense in this regard would probably make a lot of people happy. Full-sized, two-tile-tall character sprites just look so much better and distinct from each other, imo.

PS: For anyone that loves the Trinity-exclusive tilesets (myself included), I have a very strong feeling that they will be included in MV+/2020. Could be why they were never released as paid DLC.

dragoonwys

Freelance Illustrator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I feel sorry that Touchfuzzy has to suffer through knowing all the spoilers while the rest of us speculate and throw darts at a wall that may or may not be on the mark. Sounds like a time traveler dilemma :LZSlol:

MikePjr

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
We'll know more day after tomorrow.
They were saying every Thursday.
Course part of me is glad to see something like this being announced.. since ya know.. no E3 this year.
That made me sad.
So it's at least something.

Halcy0n

Smoke and Mirrors
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
My guess is 3D.

I really, really hope this is a thing, but I'm not holding my breath. Sure, it isn't real 3D, but after playing around with the MV3D plugin, I find that it has a certain primitive, early-90's aesthetic that I actually kinda like. Now if only I could figure out how to get my previously-made maps to display correctly lol.

JosephSeraph

White Mage
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Full-sized, two-tile-tall character sprites just look so much better and distinct from each other, imo.
The problem is not the funds to make the RTP; it's that the RTP should be simple so it's easy to create things on the same style. That's RPG Maker's motto: Simple enough for a child, powerful enough for a developer. The "versatile enough for any platform" part is being worked on. There's no shortage of tall resources for MV if you're so inclined! I personally loathe the MV chibis as I've already stated on this thread (and I really love VX's ones) but it's just a matter of doing your own graphics if you have a particular vision, hiring someone, or using the loads of resources that are online.

Since the new RM will accept MV-sized resources, you do already have a wealthy pool of tall charsets to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

It's a Spanish devlog don't get scared!. (please)
Q:"Why don't you get a job?"
A: Posting statuses IS my job. It just so happens to not pay and happen periodically over the course of three months.
My new 49" monitor has been dispatched from the warehouse. Will it arrive tomorrow? The day after? I love that we can track packages now, even if it does only tell me when it's left that end and when it's arrived at the local centre. As long as it doesn't end up in Melbourne again, which has happened before ...
My friend's doing a surprise stream of my game Origin Hunt on Twitch here ! Feel free to stop by :yhappy:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twofacegibby