Status
Not open for further replies.

JosephSeraph

White Mage
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Have you guys ever try to use literally all the tiles in the tileset in a single map? I don't.
I have. Several times. Especially when being forced to ignore autotiles and brute force my way with layer A5 to have more organic mapping.

MV doesn't have tile rotation, flipping or subdivision, which means you need to create a lot of redundant tiles on your tileset if you want to cover for plenty of variants and create something that looks organic. Think cliffs, for example. Or diagonal rivers. Etc.

AmericanKirby

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Why not put limitations like maximum map size and tileset size in an ini file or something? That way kiddies won't try and jam every tile into a single set or use every tileset at once or make a 10,000x10,000 map, but people who know what they're doing can bump the maximum up if need be?

TWings

The Dragon Whisperer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Have you guys ever try to use literally all the tiles in the tileset in a single map? I don't.
The unlimited tileset is the shortest way of saying "I'm lazy to optimize my game so I put literally every single tileset so I can use it in every map". An unlimited tileset is unnecessary.
Actually on the opposite end, there are a few times when I'd wish I didn't have to load full tilesets for not even using half of it.

KaYsEr

Koruldia
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
N/A
This announcement got me thinking.. One day we might have Alex back as the main default RTP protagonist. Not having to invent a new character while taking advantage of nostalgia, quite a missed opportunity if they don’t do it.

Having Alex back would be some kind of “Look! I’m super legit new RM” efficient marketing move, echoing RM2000 with a 20th anniversary thing.

(20 already? Wow...)

Restart

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah let's ask what the new default character names are. They totally won't expect they leaked critical information when we find out they're named

Penny
Yorick
Tyrone
Helen
Ozzie
Nostradamus

masterlobo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So, it's happening in 2 hours? :rhappy:

Parallax Panda

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Seems like it. Wish I could sit in front of the screen bashing refresh but I’m at work so... :kaoeh:

Bastrophian

The Pixel Heartist!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
OwwwO Im going to stare at the screen mashing refresh till it posts, I dont even care that I have work early tomorrow!!!!

Parallax Panda

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Click some extra for me too. I have to settle for sneaking a look now and then on my breaks.

Hm... maybe a pre-planned toilet break in ~2 hours would be a good idea... :kaopride:

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thursday is actually 24 hours long. Was something said that implies the update is going to come seconds after midnight?

Bastrophian

The Pixel Heartist!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
@Shaz I dunno, but the first post of this thread was posted at a little after 4am my time last thursday (feels like weeks! XD) ... so Im betting it will be around that time again. X3 cant wait!

Parallax Panda

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have no idea how long time is left now? Work and US time has me all confused. Is it in 1 hour? 1 hour and 30 min?

A countdown timer would’ve been helpful.

@Shaz
Check official twitter :)

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Less than 30 minutes by my count. It's 2:33am for me, and based off when they sent out the "in 12 hours" Tweet the announcement will come at 3am for me.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Parallax Panda ah, crumbs! Now you're making me want to follow twitter! So it says 12 more hours and was posted 11 hours ago. I'm guessing it doesn't show fractions of hours (or minutes after the first hour has passed), so somewhere within the next hour or two would be my guess. Full reveal, huh? That's exciting!

On the subject of "unlimited tileset", you all remember that massive tileset someone made for XP that was an amalgamation of all the RTP tiles? Was that the Inquisitor tileset or a different one? I was once called on to "fix" a game that had been developed using one of those tilesets - not all tiles were used on all maps, but it was only the one tileset in the entire game, and it was a few thousand tiles long. And the whole game had been made - map after map after map. It lagged like crazy on some computers! I had to write a script to extract all the tiles that were actually used, create a new tileset just from those, then go through all maps changing the tiles to refer to the correct/new tile id. It was quite fun and interesting to do, but not for the developer. And the resulting tileset looked absolutely awful! If you want to do something with a tileset like that, at least do just a few maps and see how it plays on different machines, so you can change your approach easily if it doesn't work.

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The tweet does say '11h ago so it does will come out at 3h am lol (for me)

Redeye

Chronicles Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I have plans to go out to lunch with my grandparents tomorrow, but now I can't sleep until I read the news.

Restart

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I had to write a script to extract all the tiles that were actually used, create a new tileset just from those, then go through all maps changing the tiles to refer to the correct/new tile id. It was quite fun and interesting to do, but not for the developer. And the resulting tileset looked absolutely awful! If you want to do something with a tileset like that, at least do just a few maps and see how it plays on different machines, so you can change your approach easily if it doesn't work.
That's pretty similar to what gamemaker does for exported projects, actually - if you look at the internally-stored graphics for a game, it crunches everything together into a very efficient mass of art. (Extracted example from Deltarune) I think some variations of this technique even go to the extent of allowing pure transparent areas of sprites to overlap, since what it ends up referencing are just rectangular subsamples of that texture, which don't necessarily have to be unique.

RPG Maker would def be more lightweight if it was capable of only loading used tiles into memory. Not super likely RPGM NEXT (or whatever it's called) has that feature, since it would make things more complex, but if it's in game maker there's an outside chance.

MikePjr

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
3 minutes till they give more information..
I'm VERY curious..
Let's see if they've learned anything.

Jomarcenter

jomarcenter-MJM
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
ENGLISH
Primarily Uses
RMMV
well then. time to commit maximum overdrive on current projects!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

New profile picture! This time, it's representative of my current project.
I suddenly feel like making a game for little kids: a pointless sandbox of cute animals, silly collectibles, and random mini games.
Anyone else just like, not bother to make games themed around specific holidays? I know I won't get them done in time for it to make sense.
time to enter the playtest dimension
Sherriff: This permit you're renewing expired two months ago, you haven't been concealing illegally have you?

Me, remembering the sheriff was at the range with me a couple weeks ago and unsure if he'd noted me draw from IWB: I plead the fifth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VuThanhLong