Too old for this ****
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (UK)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Chiming in with my two pennies.

I agree with those who say this feels more like the jump from VX to VX Ace than the jump from VX Ace to MV. The name, MZ, is very similar and the screenshots so far look very similar too. It's certainly a confusing product proposition and, as an MV owner and user, I don't yet feel compelled to upgrade.

I can't read Japanese, but I trust those who say there's now a Layers option. Combined with the Steam page saying "RPG Maker MZ features a more powerful map editor function", I really hope we're going back to XP's system.

Right now, this needs a killer feature to win me over. This needs to do something significant that MV can't. I'll wait to hear more news.

BreakerZero

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (USA)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's probably just a sample of what's coming, guys. This always happens when there's something new to play with, but the information on what it does is still not at 100% of publicity clearance. @Touchfuzzy already said that we'll know more about it over time as the information is unlocked - it's just standard procedure in game development for a small tease prior to the main info dump. Just give it some time.

Also, I'm guessing the interface similarities may be intentional - I have both Ace and VX on my account and they did similar things with that (and we also have the asset upgrade matter as well). As for editing while testing, this is one reason I ended up using MV over all the other editions since because of the NW.JS base I can just switch back and forth, exit and reenter the map and everything will be updated once I have cycled between the two locations. This actually exists to a degree because of that - they didn't even bother with a "shell wait" like with Ace and earlier, and they use all the standard NW.JS stuff as well so there's no reason for duplication in that area like with the prior editions.

EDIT: I also don't mind sticking with MV as I find that it's much easier compared to Unreal or Unity, and there are numerous plugins across all my requirements so I'm already covered for what I require in my project.

EDIT 2: I already plan to mandate 64-bit and Windows 10 myself due to the support changes, so that's already covered for my requirements (particularly for those who know how to patch the default NW.JS code that already ships with MV). I'm also placing my rumble code up for consideration in the MZ roadmap (unless it's already being considered of course, in which case I'll defer to moderation as appropriate for the reference).

Last edited:

Xane

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
(US) English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I want this to be success, I really do... Please change my mind and you shall have my money. But for now, I'm truly sorry. :kaocry:

Rogue Milk

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I will reserve judgment for when we can see it in action.
So far, I'm pretty excited about. The new RTP itself looks very bright and kind retro.

A Trove of Assets Included
– From assets for main characters, to map chips used for map creation and resources applied during character generation, this tool is absolutely loaded. RPG Maker MZ boasts the largest collection of assets ever in series history! We will reveal more details in the coming days. Get ready to be wowed!

This is going to be awesome!

Dungeonmind

Lvl 4000 Humanoid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
WTB proper map system like in XP. And RGSS :<
I hope it's a better evrsion of VX Ace, I really don't like MV. And I really don't like 48x48 tilesets. Ugh.

I agree. There is so much things that just went down quality wise. Probably because the community pushed for mobile support. lol but still.

You can no longer make action adventure games using events in mv cause of the way mv handles images. I know rpg maker is not meant for that but I really had fun prototyping adventure games by eventing in vx ace.

KoriCongo

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Is the best y'all can show off is that we now have map layers??
Something that you took away from us back in XP???

and E I G H T G I G A B Y T E M I N I M U M R E Q U I R E M E N T???

Am I having a stroke or something? Did I transcended reality when I woke up this morning?

HalcyonDaze

Smoke and Mirrors
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
If MZ really does come with a trove of RTP assets, I'd be willing to forgive retaining the MV style. I'll almost guarantee at this point that the Trinity ones are in there somewhere. Also gives people who like editing the RTP a lot more to work with.

JosephSeraph

White Mage
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
aTT4cMb.png

basically same beans

MWAAAA NOW THAT I GOT A CLOSER LOOK I LIKE THE NEW ONES SO MUCH BETTERRRRRR
it's small things but the fact that they got rid of that fricking NOSE already makes me happy. The eyes look loads better too, with no abhorrent lines in the inner part of it, this just looks like an overall better time. Although the new sprite is lacking in some areas; the shading from the hair to the skin for example is inexistant, but that makes me guess that that's not an RTP sprite, but a Generator one!

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Good morning everyone.

Guys most of the changes aren't visible in those screenshots.

And yeah, I'd love to just tell you every single thing that is in the menus that is different, but there is a marketing plan that is designed to slow release all the info. (I'm not the biggest fan of that style of marketing, but I also understand why it is used, but this isn't a conversation about marketing, so let's move on).

I will talk about the two things that are visibly different in the pictures though:

1. You are correct about layer control. That menu let's you leave it on auto (like MV) or manually switch to the layer you want.
2. The event list. When you are in eventing mode, the tile palette is replaced by a list of all the events on the map. Makes it a whole lot easier to find and edit the right one.

Also, an added bonus bit of information: Just because you don't think something is in because the "screenshots" show something, doesn't mean that it isn't in. There is at least one thing I saw mentioned that someone was sure didn't exist, but actually does as a database option.

DartKain

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
Will there be a new piece of information next Thursday or earlier?

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Next Thursday for the big reveal. I'll see what I can get approved for tiny bits here earlier, but like I said. Marketing plan.

(I think the marketing plan helps more with casual users as it keeps it in their mind for longer, this kind of marketing release is actually effective, there are stats to prove it, even if I'm not the happiest about it because I like talking about stuff :B )

JosephSeraph

White Mage
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
1. You are correct about layer control. That menu let's you leave it on auto (like MV) or manually switch to the layer you want.
2. The event list. When you are in eventing mode, the tile palette is replaced by a list of all the events on the map. Makes it a whole lot easier to find and edit the right one.

OMG an EVENT PALETTE that's really cooooooollllllll

But yeah y'alls it was pretty obvious that we wouldn't be getting any direct new info in this update, what content would they have for the next weeks???

The pages do tease a lot of things that are exciting to me, though. Such as improved Animation control. I'm looking forward to the reworked animation editor. Perhaps native a native Particle editor to go with it? (Asking too much, I know...)

They mention the entire database being revamped. This being the sturdiest, most capable RM yet, and with all the (small? but important) changes announced so far, the editor is certainly pushing that. That's not even getting into the 5+ years of JavaScript changes that have happened, MZ will be working on a totally new environment and as i've said several times in this thread, it's no doubt we'll see a much updated code framework. If people could achieve awesome things with code within MV.... MZ will open that possibility much much further

this is all so cool

HalcyonDaze

Smoke and Mirrors
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
That event list thing sounds super useful. That's the sort of QoL features I was hoping for. Fingers crossed for visible move routes and the end of tile counting.

And the ability to select the x and y coordinates for things directly on the map would be insanely helpful.

Makeratore

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ

What does that mean? Are you referring to the possibility to choose which layer we want to put the tilesets on?

Dalph

Nega Ralph™ (RM Tyrant)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian Curses
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
"New exciting features!"

The features:
- There's a Z in the title name.
- MZ's UI is the same as MV's.
- You can make an RPG... with RPG Maker. You don't say?

"Get ready to be wowed!"

WOWZ! :kaomad3:

You are italian like me, have more faith, it might be much better than people think.
After all MV is not a complete disaster, this can't be any worse.

BreakerZero

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (USA)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What does that mean? Are you referring to the possibility to choose which layer we want to put the tilesets on?

I believe that's exactly what he said. The way it works now is that we have three layers. First you place one tileset item (usually from set A) and that becomes the base. After that, one or two additional layers can be added with the use of additional tilesets, although trying to add a third erases the first, the fourth write replaces the second and so on. Therefore, it is the general idea behind a dedicated layers control to make things easier when deciding which layer you intend to use for a specific tileset item.

Last edited:

Parallax Panda

Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I will talk about the two things that are visibly different in the pictures though:

This sounds like a really great feature. But one question remains, how many layers though? Still just 3?...4? is it 4?...is it.... more? :kaoswt: I hope. But when you write it like that, with the MV functionally still being left in, it makes me think that maybe we still just have 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

V1.3 of Demo, a new concept artist on the team, character voices are coming into light more... I'm happy to say that the fangame is making good progress.
Ami
--- Stolen Item ---

M.Figher: I want to sell this Stone
Fence: Then...i can buy you 1500G
M.Figher: It's Deal!
(3 Days Later)
F.Fighter: M.Figher,Do you know about Stone that Mayor keep it in his Office? It's missing
M.Figher: Ahh,is that so... (Actually,i Stole it and Sell it to the Fence a few Days ago)
I've spent some cash on foley and other sound effects. I wonder sometimes if I made a poor choice, but I remember that I really want to improve the sound of my games. n...n; My frugalness haunts me sometimes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrLateNight98