Bonkers

Get ready to be Wowed!
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hopefully they don't bundle images of girls in panties with golf clubs with the content this time. MV's release with the special assets took me by surprise.

I'm ready for a new system, something that uses an event exporter and allows us to check variables through an interface rather than among windows after choices. We need a level of control like in unity, or give us a mapping structure we can coordinate like in the abandoned game maker product.

Kauzz

Hello!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Please not 3d
Please not 3d
Please not 3d
Please not 3d

Please not 3d

Anyway, my dream is a Free Grid RPG Maker (Or at least an min. grid like 16x16/8x8) to map and program events more freely...

Last edited:

TheLastYuriSamurai

TheLastYuriSamurai
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
All I beg for is the ability to use different sized tiles in a not awkward way. I have spend so much on assets that the thought of not being able to use them is making me so hesitant towards a new engine...

KaYsEr

Koruldia
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Guess MV is done with gettng updates too?
It's been a while since the last official update (2017?), but the good thing is you can do it yourself because MV is an amalgamation of other tech like PIXI and NWJS with a cool RM editor on top. Those things get regular updates, so you can manually update your MV project and enjoy improvements over time.

@Touchfuzzy (Get Dizzy?) Thanks for those extra info.
A new RM without that “plugin heritage” being compatible would pretty much set it back to the “RM middle age” for years (maybe even forever) because those people retired from the community. Like many other amazing coders (MogHunter, SRD..) who worked like crazy to make MV the incredible and versatile piece of software it is today. Even if some new coders arrive, it's unlikely they'll be "lightning in a bottle" like Yanfly and his full-time crowdfunded dedication over 5 years of work.

My guess (or hope) is "they" updated with PIXI5 (among other things) and it will of course break a lot of plugins like you said. BUT with a bit of work it’s possible to patch those plugins and have them back, is it the kind of approach they had in mind?
(Some kind of RGSS2 to RGSS3 situation where it was indeed incompatible, but possible to make it compatible with some “translation” work.)

This makes me wonder if it'll be an "MV Ace", i.e. it'll be a new iteration of MV, that maintains compatibility but improves a load of aspects of the editor.
Would make sense from a business pov, to recover the cost of MV's development, it seems MV didn't sale nearly as good as ACE so it's only logical to be cost effective with the new one and refrain from taking risks. Building the next one on top of MV, as a big update, is the wise move.

Redeye

Chronicles Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I think I'll still try it out, but I don't think I'll commit to it unless it goes above and beyond the previous RMs with the amount of features and RTP content you can have with your games.

With a lot of the MV Plugin makers gone, the things we may want to do in this new engine may be very limited for the first few years unless the devs finally decided to program in desired features themselves, such as new Skill/Actor/Equipment traits (Universal Lifesteal, Critical Hit Damage Multiplier, Absorption Barriers?, etc), perhaps a way to create advanced states with a system akin to Buffs and States Core lunatic mode, perhaps a built-in ATB system... the list goes on.

The basic idea is that the things you could actually do in RPG Maker MV were fairly limited until plugins came along (or if you were Ok with making seriously janky common events, but even then those sometimes wouldn't be able to do what you wanted to do). After MV's release, there were no new gameplay features, no new, innovative mechanics that you could add to MV, under the excuse that "we feel like the plugin makers should be the ones to do that", which was profoundly lazy to me.

And then there's RTP. I hope to all of the divines above that the new maker will have more RTP content (or at least GIVE us more content over time via updates. They hired the RTP graphics designers for a reason. Use them.). Especially Enemy graphics. Good lord, we need more enemy diversity.

Now my long, slightly tired morning rant is over. G'day.

TWings

The Dragon Whisperer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm just going to squash this one because if you really think about it, this isn't feasible.

The only way we could have maintained compatibility with MV plugins is not change the engine code at all. Even MV updates could at times break some plugins.
Will it still use javascript or switch to another language ?

pasunna

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't know maybe yanfly will be back... I read his farewell post
and he say something about move on to new engine
I will not surprise if it is new rpg maker
and if new engine that's good
I think mog will interest to come back too

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just stay tuned for more info. I can't answer a lot of your questions yet, we have a schedule of when features and stuff will be announced, I just addressed that one because I didn't want people to get their hopes up over something that would be literally impossible to do.

Adding new features, upgrading things, every change requires changing the engine code. Maintaining MV plugin compatibility would have required changing almost nothing.

Basically, we aren't really ready to address many specific questions. Next week I'll be able to answer a few more of them.

(I will say though that Plugin creators will have a familiar environment to work with)

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I hope the new engine could make a duel card game easily and plus I did the search. There is not a card game maker that start without starting from scratch. So, therefore, less competition for the company.:smile:

@shockra, you are right. It disappears mysteriously now. Scary Ghost!

Last edited:

shockra

Slightly Crazy Programmer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm definitely curious about this. I've told myself before that I might start making a plugin system if a new RPGMaker comes out. Guess we'll find out if I was serious about that or not...

Either way, I don't have any major projects I'm working on right now, so if the new one is good, I can make the switch without losing too much. If I remember correctly, these forums had a thread not too long ago asking about the features we wanted to see. I'm betting that some of those ideas were incorporated into the new system.

Prescott

argggghhh
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Have a lot of you guys been in the RM community long? There are ALWAYS people making great things for the engines. I know Yanfly, Moghunter, etc. all contributed heavily to MV but every engine has had a similar amount of love shown for it by the community. Have a little bit of faith :)

With all of the talk about wanting to make things far more customizable, I really hope the engine is still fast and intuitive to use. A major problem I have with almost every other game engine is that they are cluttered and nowhere near as straightforward as RPG Maker. It's probably easy to just throw in a bunch of features but they've gotta keep the motto of it being easy enough for a child but flexible enough for a seasoned developer.

Raizen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh yeah!

I will make a bunch of plugins for this one! I came back in 2019 MV was already on the end of the cycle :(.
This time everyone can await a bunch of resources at least from my part :D.

M.I.A.

Goofball Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

Lornsteyn

Sleepy Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
Im a bit curious.
But it depends on many factors if I would spend money on it.
Integrated Sideview battles with animated enemies would be a must have.
I dont trust into plugins anymore, they always break with every update, so hope the new maker is easier to customize in general.
Also a unique RTP would be interesting.
The MV one was just a VXAce update, at least the Tilesets.

@Prescott
Most of the best plugin makers vanished and the really unique and cool plugins are broken and probably never get fixed anymore.
So its understandable most want to see that the new maker has some more customize options by itself.

Rose Guardian

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'm excited, but concerned about how expensive it'll be, and rather steam will get it too. But not going to ask any questions. Just going to wait like Fuzzy said.

hinola

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Français
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
So, it have to use the same grapyhics as MV because "we" bough the assets

And the same scripting base as MV because yanfly is gone.
And we, of course, already think about all the plugins we will need.

Well ... better stay on MV, no ?

There were a list of ideas to make a better RPG maker after ace.
After the changes between MV and ace, I guess the list is approximatively the same.

I can't wait to know ALL the features the new RPG maker will give
And when I say ALL, it's not just some big ideas, but the actual list.
And I hope it will be before the software is released, so we can still try to give ideas, from actual makers

And there is some ideas I hope we will find in this new RPG maker
- Scripts calls in event page conditions
- Return of IDE in the editor
- Aditable charasteristics
- More customisation in tilesets, add the autotiles you want, and more tabs
- Plugins that impact the editor (adding commands, or even database tables)
- menus edition

Last edited:

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Touchfuzzy (Get Dizzy?) Thanks for those extra info.
A new RM without that “plugin heritage” being compatible would pretty much set it back to the “RM middle age” for years (maybe even forever) because those people retired from the community. Like many other amazing coders (MogHunter, SRD..) who worked like crazy to make MV the incredible and versatile piece of software it is today. Even if some new coders arrive, it's unlikely they'll be "lightning in a bottle" like Yanfly and his full-time crowdfunded dedication over 5 years of work.

My guess (or hope) is "they" updated with PIXI5 (among other things) and it will of course break a lot of plugins like you said. BUT with a bit of work it’s possible to patch those plugins and have them back, is it the kind of approach they had in mind?
(Some kind of RGSS2 to RGSS3 situation where it was indeed incompatible, but possible to make it compatible with some “translation” work.)
As a scripter, let me tell you one thing.
It is impossible.

RGSS, RGSS2, RGSS3 base code are so different. It is only a few cases that a script could work on all. It is either be the nature of the aspect they were changing or "simply" adding multiple IF-ELSE to make it work. As a scripter, I would just ask myself "Is it even worth it to make it works across multiple engines?". The reason why the base code is changed is simply to allow more compatibility between many future scripts.

What you don't know is:
  • You have no idea how bad the base code is especially RGSS/RMXP that it had 3 times iteration which leads to VXAce base code that is MUCH better than its predecessor. I absolutely refuse to code in RGSS due to how bad the code is.
  • You have no idea how bad the compatibility patches. "what if a certain plugin exists and used together with mine"
  • You have no idea now that the Yanfly library secretly becomes "our new base code", essentially monopolize the plugin so that new plugin writers now have to learn two base codes (both of MV base code and the whole Yanfly's library) "just for a sake of being compatible with Yanfly".
TLDR; There will be no backward compatibility for plugins. It is expected. The retirement of many plugin writers hurts, but it is also an opportunity for people to rise and make a name for themselves. It may or may not be as great as our predecessor, but they have their time and their moment. All the big scripters were around since RMXP and continued to contribute till MV. But we just can not expect them to keep contributing.

In an unrelated note, losing a quite amount of usable plugin library might hurt, but remember that RPG Makers are Japanese software which Japanese also being their target market. I'm now knowledgeable enough how does that impact to the Japanese people. Do they have their local plugin makers or do they made their own plugins?

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
What I would like to see honestly is the ability to edit the editor for once, or add on features to it. There's really no need to make that closed source now, let us add features and such to it if we want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Between Rona and MZ, might as well buckle down and get serious in dev
I did it. I finish the test after 2 days 6 different subjects. Now I'm freeeeeeee
Got a nice little platform coming along backwards compatible with MV.
I'm so amazed at this ABS plugin for MV. This is a plugin that can literally fulfill my biggest game dreams, creating an Ultima VII-like game. Below is a video of a quick scenario I created to test out the plugin. The music in the video is my own composition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smartdevice