zakthepower

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
you want to develop a game with a mature maker with a ton of support and bugfixes, not one that's brand new, which lacks a fully established ecosystem of plugins and still has bugs lurking in every corner
It was a joke lol. But I get what you're saying

Gigglemoo

Member Title
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Frang~
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Woohoo! New Rpg Maker!

I don't really have anything else to say, but 4 map layers is cool.

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hopping in again.

Marketing - While I agree a drip fed campaign can be build hype and excitement for a product, it's all about the execution. For me, personally, the execution hasn't been great. Week 1 was a short video saying "announcing a new RPG Maker" and nothing else. It was the definition of announcing an announcement and felt like they gave us the first five seconds of a much longer trailer. It was only because of this forum thread, which only a small handful of your audience is going to seek out, that I learned there would be updates every Thursday.

Then, we get to Thursday and we have a name that's very similar to the engine we already have, accompanied by screenshots that seem more-or-less the same as what we have. We expected a brand new RPG Maker engine, and so far this looks like MV Ace. The difference in expectations set and results delivered, alongside a confusing product proposition, is why people are disappointed and confused.

To salvage the situation, the marketing team really need to unveil a big, game changing, feature this coming Thursday and let us know why we need MZ if we already have MV. Again, it was only through this forum thread that I got confirmation we'd be seeing a return to XP's mapping system.

RTP - I'm seeing a lot of posts about the RTP and the Steam page itself boasts about the size of it. Might just be me but I've never really used the RTP for anything other than placeholders. I've always swapped out the RTP with other assets and I'm less likely to download / play someone else's game that uses RTP. I've always viewed it as something to get you started until you hire an artist / learn how to create your own art.

Entitlement / unrealistic expectations - I'm seeing some behaviour, attitudes, and expectations from a few areas that are, frankly, not okay. We've been told, multiple times, and need to accept:
  • Plug-ins won't carry across due to how much the core engine has been changed. Supporting existing plug-ins would have limited the features of the new engine to the extent there wouldn't have been any point in releasing a new version.
  • The tile size is set to 48x48 to ensure backwards compatibility with existing DLC and to scope both the RTP and overall engine.
  • Windows 7 isn't supported because Windows no longer supports it. From a security standpoint, you really shouldn't be on Windows 7 anymore and no company is realistically going to spend resources testing a dead operating system.
  • 8GB RAM requirement, I mean yeah if it's a new, more capable engine then higher requirements are to be expected. You can get 8GB of DDR3 RAM for around £30 to £40.
  • 64-bit operating systems, again support for 32-bit has been dropping since 2016. March of time, technology moves quickly. Some things just can't be handled by 32-bit systems anymore.
"Yanfly isn't around anymore to make plug-ins for the new engine." They're not. They made themselves sick more than once while working on plug-ins. They had their work ripped off and stolen, while a vocal section of their audience became aggressive and demanding. They had to step away for the sake of their own mental and physical wellbeing and, like it or not, we did that to them, we're responsible.

The backlash when plug-in creators started charging money for their hard work that dramatically improves your engine of choice shows just how badly we can treat plug-in makers and how immature the community can be. No doubt, there will be new plug-in makers, maybe even a new Yanfly, but I hope we learn from past mistakes and treat them much better.

"I'll just stick with MV." That's fine. That's a rational reaction. No one's forcing you to upgrade. If MV meets your current needs, carry on. There are still people who happily use 2000, 2003, XP, VX, and VX Ace. The burden of making you want MZ, of showing you the upgrade's worthwhile, rests solely on the publishers. Most RPG Makers take a while to gain support. VX Ace had an existing script library that made it more flexible and attractive than MV when MV first launched. That soon changed, it didn't take long for people like Yanfly to bring us new functionality.
MV also had a period where there were lots of updates and bug fixes, some of which broke our projects. MZ is likely to have that same period where early adopters just have to put up with it. It's up to you whether you want to be one of those early adopters. The other side of the coin is that if MZ doesn't sell well, there won't be any justification to continue supporting it or providing future releases of RPG Maker.
I get you a LOTTT I quitted once the community because I was just bluntly so fed up of the community. I got many many message or comment : go make that compatible with it or your plugin suck or being demanding.

when I saw how yanfly was treated I was extremelly angry especially on how he was falsly accused and also people expected us plugin maker to do every whim.

but that's besider the point I just hope people realise that a lots of people do that on their free time.

Elliott404

Game404
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
In conclusion, MZ is the MV's VXAce, and we got played.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I quitted once the community because I was just bluntly so fed up of the community. I got many many message or comment : go make that compatible with it or your plugin suck or being demanding.
It's a scripter/plugin maker's old story. Probably was also the reason why I went hiatus in 2015, although I forgot what was my real reason, and now it doesn't matter anyway.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
In conclusion, MZ is the MV's VXAce, and we got played.
Could you please stop? We haven't gotten played or trolled or anything like that. They literally said they were announcing a new rpg maker and then announced it. They could've told us more than they did, but they didn't lie to us or anything. Also stop saying it's another VX Ace. WE DON'T KNOW THAT YET! We don't know anything yet.

CrasheR

PastaLaVista
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, plugin makers cant make you everything. Even if they could, you wont be able to fully control that without knowing javascritp yourself. That's why i rely heavily on events. Lol.
Seriously. With events you can do most everything.

xDRAGOONx

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
All I'm saying is that if MZ doesn't make me breakfast at 2 in the afternoon after I stayed up until 3am fumbling around with a common event that adds a functionality that nobody asked for, I'm probably still gonna get it.

zakthepower

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, plugin makers cant make you everything. Even if they could, you wont be able to fully control that without knowing javascritp yourself. That's why i rely heavily on events. Lol.
Seriously. With events you can do most everything.
^^

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Saw this translated from someone in Japan...come on make things clean to use.
OHOHOH a leak who show a reworked tileset editor (((o(*゚▽゚*)o)))
the way they show the little square is pretty interesting

TheoAllen

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Could you please stop? We haven't gotten played or trolled or anything like that. They literally said they were announcing a new rpg maker and then announced it. They could've told us more than they did, but they didn't lie to us or anything. Also stop saying it's another VX Ace. WE DON'T KNOW THAT YET! We don't know anything yet.
I don't know, but I interpreted her post about MV's VXAce as a joke (and not a joke at the same time).

And besides, the meaning of VX to VXAce is like, VX but upgraded (same structure, but better). XP to VX is different, you can't use the resource from XP without adjustment, VX to VXAce wasn't much and you can use VX resource for VXAce, which is the same as MZ. VXAce to MV, you can't. Different tile size.

She isn't entirely wrong :)

dragon1up

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
OHOHOH a leak who show a reworked tileset editor (((o(*゚▽゚*)o)))
the way they show the little square is pretty interesting
Yeah I actually follow a bunch of Jap people on Twitter and they seem to get acess first before it goes fully public. Feel free to DM me or I'll just post things here. To see what people think aha

BCj

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
Yeah saw some jp stuff too.

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sure you can post them here if you want lol just don't double post and it should be fine? (unless u get smack down by the staff for showing some leak :3c

TheoAllen

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Sure you can post them here if you want lol just don't double post and it should be fine? (unless u get smack down by the staff for showing some leak :3c
We are not the one who's responsible for the leak, why would they want to smack us down.
If anything, we should try to find more leak :p

RPG_Maker_Wiz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Made a video about this topic and peoples responses for RPG Maker MZ :guffaw: Interesting to see discussion and how people did react to the early information

BreakerZero

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (USA)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I also just realized a few things you may not be aware of:
  1. Technically you can already set MV games to run at 16:9 using either plugins or by changing the package.json definitions
  2. Fullscreen mode can be achieved the same way
  3. As can limitations on resizing the game window
  4. And thanks to using NW.JS as the base rather than a custom runtime, MV also doesn't have the annoying system down-res like with Ace and other earlier editions
So my guess is that MZ will be simplifying a few of these matters.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
In conclusion, MZ is the MV's VXAce,
That would be very good

VXAce was a MASSIVE improvement over VX, and most of those improvements were handled by the database as well. For example VX was limited to a single tileset and a lot of other limitations that were removed or improved with Ace. There are reasons why almost everyone switched to Ace if they could.

So if they make a similar Ace-type improvement to MV as they did to VX that woud be very good.

xDRAGOONx

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Saw this translated from someone in Japan...come on make things clean to use.
Oooooo a leak...
...A leaky leak....
...The kinda leak that's got me feeling...
...Leaky...
...Wait...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Finished that egg-sitting mini-game I mentioned here a couple weeks back. Now to fix the weather system so it doesn't rain indoors while you're playing it. >.> A simple fix in itself; leave it to me to take it as an excuse to completely revamp the time/weather/lighting system from scratch.
I'm really tempting to pre order cyberpunk 2077... should I do it or not :/ I really want to play the game but don't want to take a big hit to my saving because of it
So I need to come up with quite a few action sequences.
Was stressing about this plugin earlier, but pretty happy with how its looking now! Purple makes it pop more too!! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stuart18