hp4000

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Thank you for the annoucement and your continued hard work!

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@bgillisp while I do want the same, it is almost impossible for three reasons
  1. Technical side.
  2. Keeping them simple.
  3. They probably too afraid to lose the RPG Maker identity(? idk the better word) because of too many mods. Like what they did to RTP license.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm worried because Yanfly, Moghunter, Victor Saints and many other scripters have retired!
In the case of Yanfly, the ******* was set up with the express intention that the money gathered does not go to Yanfly, but toward updating his plugins whenever a new maker is released.

we'll just have to see how much money that got and how many of the plugins can be transcoded for that money.

AngelStarStudios

Angel Star Studios
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Very exciting news!

I would be happy to see another RPG Maker, all business angles aside, as a user and dedicated fan of the series, I am personally more than excited to see what they roll out.

BCj

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
@TheoAllen there were many, many , many Japanese scripters around with what I've found throughout the years. Most of them had VX and Ace scripts, a few had MV, but most of them also dissapeared between 2015-2020, with dead websites.

rue669

RueToYou
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I’m a little deflated by this news because of the games I have prepped for and planned for MV. There’s this sense of FOMO. It’s completely irrational and I can’t blame Kadokawa for it.

I’ll likely continue to use MV for all my projects that I’ve already planned and got custom art for unless this new rpg maker makes it very easy to transfer projects to it. I highly doubt that though.

I’m still going to get it though to support the community. Would be sweet if it had a built in abs or tactics system to it.

It’ll also take it some time before plugins and dlc is released for it too. There’s always that transition period between rpg makers.

If they do decide to do a complete change in graphics I’d say go back to the rm2k3 aesthetic. It’s old school SNES and the sprites were the best in the series hands down.

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
This just came out this morning and there are 4 pages of comments so far? Sounds like people are generally excited to see a new maker.
I won't be bothered with whatever they come out with. I'm still trying to master VX Ace. But if it is to be a big improvement, even from MV, I would say it needs to incorporate 3D, polymorphic angles and 2.5D/3D map design, 3D character generator with multi pose capabilities. Unlimited tile graphic dimensions with multi tiered maps for automatic inclusion for parallax maps. And I would really like to see the multi layer design from XP. (wish it was in Ace).
Will the product meet everyone's hopes?

TheoAllen

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Personally? Of course, I'm excited. I gotta see a new code, something to learn from them. Just by observing what they do and what they make in the new software. Trying to justify why they made it and how the community reacted is interesting to me.

Whether I gotta use the new engine or not is remain to be seen. But even though I don't use MV and I pre-ordered it, I have no regret. I will probably do the same with the new one.

Featherbrain

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My flippant but totally honest answer is that a new engine would need basically the entire functionality of the Yanfly plugin library, out of the box, and also a high level of backward compatibility with current MV projects and assets, for me to buy or move to using it any time soon.

More specifically I'd like to see:
- Adjustable grid/tile sizes, down to pixel movement
- Correspondingly, adjustable collision/hitboxes and event sizes
- Unlimited mapping layers ala TileD
- (Unlimited) self-switches and variables for individual events
- Yanfly-style action sequences for more involved skills
- Built in support/optionality for different battle systems like Active Time Battle, maybe even innate support for on-map Action RPG combat
- Additional dev-defined character animations like idle, dash, climb, swim, sneak, attack
- Allow dev to define number of frames per animation

Just a more open-ended system in general.

KaYsEr

Koruldia
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@TheoAllen Yes i pretty much knew that (in the event many changes are made in the base engine) the question is more "how hard will it be to convert?" (not asking for cross-engine plugin compatibility here, don't get me wrong) let's for example suppose this next RM is more like a glorified update (new RTPs, some quality of life improvements in the editor [with Qt's versatility, no pb], the DLC-tools like madô/sakan etc by default, and of course PIXI5) we're talking about the same kind of incompatibility we already had when jumping from MV1.0 (using pixi2) and MV3.0+ (using pixi4), and it was indeed a lot of work to make old plugins work again, but not something too crazy.

Now of course it doesn't mean going from pixi4 to 5 would be as easy, and to be honest some people around here already did it manually for their projects and reported it wasn't a walk in the park.
It is just speculation anyway because we don't know if this is what they chose to do, maybe they went with another JS framework like impact.js who knows.

As a coder, would you say that converting MV plugins to work in another RM that still uses JS (as it's very likely the case) would be too much work to not be worth it?

TheoAllen

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
and also a high level of backward compatibility with current MV projects and assets, for me to buy or move to using it any time soon.
The asset is highly likely, as for the project, if you mean the database it is still possible. IIRC there was even a converter from VXAce to MV. Now if you mean plugins you have, you better not expect.

Yes i pretty much knew that (in the event many changes are made in the base engine) the question is more "how hard will it be to convert?"
Converting the plugin depends on how different the two engines are
My limited inventory for Ace and for MV (though, it is incomplete) was a direct line by line conversion because the code is similar, just different syntax.

If the new engine has a different base code, the scripter needs to learn how they handled the code before actually making a conversion. For example, richter_h's smithing in VX and my VXA conversion was a rebuild from scratch. No line by line conversion because how the item database is handled in both engines. So technically, I made a whole new script rather than convert it.

Cleaner base code is easier to maintain for programmers which many common people don't often see.

AngelStarStudios

Angel Star Studios
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@TheoAllen there were many, many , many Japanese scripters around with what I've found throughout the years. Most of them had VX and Ace scripts, a few had MV, but most of them also dissapeared between 2015-2020, with dead websites.
This is true most have retired, theres still some lurking around. A lot of experienced ones weren't well-known in the RPG Maker communities because "Some Random Dude" or "YanFly" and others overshadowed them being too famous :D and monopolized the public scene - or they made the prototypes ("Tenkai Star") and were working more discreetly. Some of these people are working with us as business partners in our private studio, and consider themselves retired (to the general public) as you've said.

Some of them might be willing to come back, under the right conditions but your point might not make sense (no offense), since this seems to be a new programming language it may require a new generation of programmers (to take on this new RPG Maker engine and semi-new community) who understand the current programming language - we don't know what the new language is yet. I myself have been programming for almost 30 years.

I don't know what programming language this new RPG Maker uses, so I cannot comment ... however ... if KADOKAWA is creating a new engine, and you consider they are partnering with Nintendo and Sony soon on some things, it has to be good, I'd think. Konami and others are in the mix, competing for indie developers to make games as well, and I think KADOKAWA knows that. What people don't realize is theres an indie game revolution about to happen, which is what I think this new engine is a part of being - along with the RPG Maker MV coming to Playstation 4 etc.

I'm excited to see what they can innovate, but, as I said, theres people capable of re-making everything in a pinch if needed, I am 99% sure it's possible. What will happen though, we don't know!

Soryuju

Combat Balance Enthusiast
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Exciting news! It's also reassuring to hear that MV assets will work in the new engine and that plugin creators will be able to enjoy a "familiar environment." The apparent focus on helping devs and content creators to make a smooth transition to the new engine makes me optimistic about what we can expect to see going forward.

That said, it's easy to get swept up in the hype in threads like these, where there's so much speculation about long-anticipated features and improvements. Since it hasn't been confirmed yet whether this is a brand new engine or more of an "MV Ace" situation, I'm personally going to keep my expectations subdued for the time being and just trust that the developers will deliver a quality product, whatever it ends up being.

A few features that I hope we could reasonably expect to see:

1) More RTP. Preferably with options for character sprites that aren't chibis, and a wider selection of enemy sprites.

2) Better database organization tools. I'd love to have something like a field where I can write in ID numbers for states, skills, etc. which are separate from their database ID numbers. If I want to do something in MV like reorganize my state database, that means combing through all of the skills, classes, etc. to find every reference to states that I've renumbered, and then manually updating everything. It's one of the less user-friendly aspects of MV.

3) Improved eventing options. It's possible to do a wide variety of things with events once you know your way around the engine, but there are a lot of limitations as well, and often it's just easier to find relevant plugins or hack together some JS than to fight with the event editor.

Looking forward to getting more info in the coming weeks!

Last edited:

Rinober

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
One piece of information I can share though is MV tilesets, sprites, etc will work with the new RM. I can't go into the full detail, but don't want people to think that their purchases are all going out the window if they switch.
I'm in then! :ehappy:
Personally, I'm looking forward to more news. Thanks for all the work so far that makes RPG game development so much easier for many of us.

Pharonix

Shadow Walker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As long as its 100% backwards compatible with MV, I'm on board.
Otherwise I won't be upgrading any time soon.
I have a 3 game project in the works and part 1 should be ready by October I hope.

l8rose

Perpetually Exhausted
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm excited. =D

Of course, doubt I'll use it much when it first comes out cause I don't know if I want to really go through the bother of porting my MV games in progress over to it (and we all know I'm enough of a slacker that I'll still be working on those in 2020). Will have to wait for a demo to see.

...will probably buy it anyway. I mean... I have all the rest, what's one more for the collection? xD

Hudell

Dog Lord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Java's Crypt
Primarily Uses
RMMV
"Command"

I wonder what that means? Maybe some kind of Command system to use instead of formulas? Maybe even being able to download new commands like plugins and use them visually with no typing involved? That sounds possible. It's not hard to implement and could make the engine a lot better for it's main audience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

*sigh* I'm so sick of this heat! :kaosigh::kaoeh:

Between Rona and MZ, might as well buckle down and get serious in dev
I did it. I finish the test after 2 days 6 different subjects. Now I'm freeeeeeee
Got a nice little platform coming along backwards compatible with MV.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ju9SW