Not open for further replies.

MikePjr

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Whoever had early access leaves with a big advantage.
I really wish folks would stop complaining about the early access stuff..
Am I a bit jealous? Yeah.. but am I complaining? Nope.
It may be gone from the Steam page, but we will forever be Wowed in our hearts.
Why even get rid of it?
Were they embarrassed?
I would have replaced it with "get ready for a surprise" or something similar..

JosephSeraph

White Mage
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Whoever had early access will be busy writing plugins to ship with the engine.
You're kinda proving their point here, though. That's exactly the advantage. But then again, that's obviously gonna happen -- making MZ an open alpha wouldn't have been particularily helpful in alleviating the stress of no plugins, so they gotta pick a handful of developers that they deem fitting for the project.

If you want to be one of them you need to prove several things; not only that you're talented, but that you're reliable, easy to work with, you'll be in an advantage with a solid collaborative track record, that there's a good relationship between you and the team to guarantee nothing leaks, etc.

The advantage is, imo, absolutely fair. You wanna be on that group, you gotta work harder, lol.
I personally blame my lack of success in certain areas entirely on me. There are several things on myself that I have to work on and improve before I can prove I'm a reliable artist for some sorts of projects.

I've had chances to work on some pretty cool things in the past and I busted them, so I know I gotta work on that. So, I don't know, take it as an opportunity for self improvement and don't be bitter that you weren't one of the 5 selected team members for this, being a good programmer is only a small part of the picture and logistics also play a big role.

JackCL

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
It is high time. MV from the very beginning was a failed experiment in too many ways.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@JosephSeraph : Did you read my mind or something? That pretty much sums up my thoughts on it too. Now quick, I'm thinking of a number from 1 to 1,000,000,000,000....

In all seriousness, if they want to give early access to code to some plug-in writers, that is their choice. They can't pick everyone, just like companies don't hire every applicant that applies to work for them. At some point you gotta draw the line and say here is what we are going with.

Even as someone who codes a little, I don't mind this. They can choose who they want to.

Vanilla Cheesecake

Cheesecake Demon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Give me the program and I will do it for myself, another incentive for people to learn to program and not depend on others. Another point that I like to emphasize is that, today, creating content is something profitable and potentially competitive. Whoever had early access leaves with a big advantage.
While I understand the mindset behind this, it's also counterintuitive. "Learning to program" is way too broad of a term. Some people learn to program to edit menus or UIs, some edit the battle system or make entirely new ones, others learn to make entirely unique systems like card games. There's just too much to potentially be able to code, and it certainly doesn't make it any easier/accessible by just dropping a new engine. "Depending on others" is one of the core essences of game design. Everyone has weaknesses and strengths, I think that's important to remember.

RM is also as casual as it can be hardcore. Not everyone using it has to know how to code or draw or make music. Members of the community will always come together and submit various things that help the engine evolve alongside the games made with it. From this, you can teach people too, but having things to start with is a huge benefit and stepping stone in that direction.

Having some plugins to play with right out of the box not only gives you:

A: A brief understanding of how the engine/code interacts with what you'd want to do.

B: You can learn right from the getgo--even if you aren't too familar--with reverse engineering, or modifying the stock plugins to do what you want.

Meike

||Telling Stories Through Games||
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm literally just here to find all of TouchFuzzy's replies to get any real info on MZ lol

I am loving and hating how much hype I have for MZ.

JackCL

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
Uh ... release a new RPG Maker without plugins, everyone complains because it'll be 6 months before we have any decent plugins for it so it's not worth migrating to.
Oh, a good engine shouldn’t need plug-ins from the very beginning to be suitable for creating games. If the engine from the very beginning needs a bunch of crutches written by third-party programmers, then the authors of the engine themselves did a poor job.

T34KEN

Happy game maker :-)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
a good engine shouldn’t need plug-ins
Nowadays its hard to tell about a game that doesnt have "credits" and rpg makers instead of doing it on starting screen of the game (below new gamę button for example)waits until some plugin maker will do it... What a shame

Last edited:

beliziam

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Germany
Primarily Uses
RMMV
4 Layer Mapping is great but a real gamechanger would be native changeable grid size. Dont get me wrong the MV Plugin is great but to do it with full editor support would be awesome no more multiple tileset folders. Also will the official grid size stay at 64x64?

MikePjr

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
About that 4 layer mapping..
Someone on twitter was arguing that the 4 layers were specific to tiles like A B C D E
But i was under the impression that i'd be able to put what i want from any of the ABCDE tiles on what ever layer i wanted when i turned off the MV Style..
Can i get some kind of confirmation? Or is that maybe more than can be reviled?

Canini

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I am cautiously optimistic.
To be completely frank I am hoping for more features out of the box rather than depending on scripters to get more than what MV/Ace already provides.

SolonWise

The Lonely Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For me, the absolutely best thing from the last RPG Makers was the option to create a different damage formula for each weapon or skill. I hope they don't mess this up in the MZ.

Creative Ed

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Creative Ed Both links in your post #891 lead to an error page.
Oops! Thanks haha

Here they are:
Character size prediction:
as.png

More interesting stuff I had posted before but might be interested for anyone that didn't see it:
Sem Título-1.png

Apart from the layers and event list that most people already know I found it really interesting that they seem to have changed the way that windowskins work as well as an HD resolution. Measured it out of the screenshots, seems to be about that size. (1020x780)

Attachments

dyoghenes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hungarian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
About that 4 layer mapping..
Someone on twitter was arguing that the 4 layers were specific to tiles like A B C D E
But i was under the impression that i'd be able to put what i want from any of the ABCDE tiles on what ever layer i wanted when i turned off the MV Style..
Can i get some kind of confirmation? Or is that maybe more than can be reviled?

Well, Touchfuzzy said that
you can now use TileB-E stuff on base layer, so you don't have to shove everything in A5.
So I think you can use any tile tab on any layer.

MikePjr

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Some times, misinformation gets thrown about.. and it can become confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

We are truly intellectuals.
Without using violence without weapons
Our group has as many as 1.3 million people and more than 1 hundred thousand talks.
We gathered in an hour, more than 4.5 Half a hundred thousand

I got a Sword.
I got an Axe.
I got two Swords.
Nothing to see here, just walking with my dog.
I haven’t worked on my game in a while. Tomorrow might be the day.
*squeals* :kaoblush:

I've been experimenting with improved memory management again, which allowed me to include items to increase player path length. These are both 44 grid spaces long, and stable. :LZSexcite:
I FINALLY DID IT! 5 years making my very first game and I just officially released it on STEAM..... OMG..... I can say I finished a game! The feelings!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akasheee