Not open for further replies.

AmericanKirby

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would like to point out to you guys when you look at the steam page don't you guys think that the event 'sprite' window is ....bigger? I remember it being a square?
At first I thought so too, but:

Untitled.png

Looks about the same to me, sadly.

xDRAGOONx

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Man. This is a lot to read. Deff hoping the next announcement is on a seperate thread. It's kinda crazy how long it takes to read 10+ pages of post to find any new info out.
You could try searching the thread for any keywords that might be of interest to you. I know it's not a complete solution but it could help.
EDIT- Also, as Shaz pointed out, searching this thread for posts by Touchfuzzy is probably the best way to filter new information.

Winshifter

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've been reading all comments on this thread....Wow, it took me basically two days :rhappy: :hswt: Ok, I'm exaggerating.

I've been using RPG Maker since the RPG Maker 2000, all the way to MV...except VX because I believed It was a completely step backwards (pretty much like Vista for Windows Jajajajajajaj or hahahahaha for other countries :p). Anyway....

As a professional in software development, I always welcome change as long as it means going forward and not staying in the same place or making backwards decisions only for the sake of not coding features because it will be complicated or just because the developers just needed to add slight changes to charge more money.

At this point probably they basically have all features coded and just making beta testing, regresion testing and bug fixings, but I would really considered MZ a superior version to MV if most of the following is part of the upgrades.

- Ability to set common events or events to buttons other that the default ones(ok button, cancel button, page up, page down...ect). Doesn't have to be much buttons, 4 or 5 extra would do the trick, but this wasn't really into MV and basically you needed a plugin to have something like this. This is actually a feature lost from previous RPG Makers.
- Return of the "Call Event" option. Again, something missing in MV that was part of previous iterations and really needed for eventing. Again this was latter added with plug ins but, come on, how hard it was to return something like this...a jira story away?
- Picture Sprite sheets. I think this was latter added to RM2k3 but again, come on, it's very useful and would really welcome this.
- Option for full screen on game start. Again, one of the things that very early RPG Makers had that was later lost for weird reasons. This was latter added to MV via plugins but then again, it should be a very simple thing to add, 20 minutes of coding or less, it doesn't even need a jira story. Add salt to the injury, this was already somehow coded into MV and just needed to be added to the options for the game.
- Exit option on menu. Again, a feature that for whatever reason was lost in MV. This one is one of those things that when I made my own plugin for this I sarcastically thought to myself "Wow, it's so game changing that it needs a plugin for this!". I mean, this literally takes like 20 minute coding and, even better, this should be a must. I get it, in movile devices and tablets probably you don't need this but...for me that is lazy programming. If I didn't add the exit code to a screen in my job, my boss will sarcastically say "Wow!, it is so difficult to code that you would need a week of coding, peer review, testing and regression testing to make sure it doesn't break the system" and then say, "just add the damn thing".

Being said what I wold consider real improvements, the following would be something that If not added, I can live with it but it would be great features.

- Screen resolution options. I don't say all options, but at least the following options
- 1280x720
- 816x624
- 720x480
- Indivitual weapon animations for SV Characters. Something similar to RM2k3
- More options for SV battle. Like for example, the monster position in scene settings, currently in MV only adds one after the other and the game asumes you are using Fron View battle and you have to manually set it for SV battle.
- Improve Default Battle System. Instead of selecting all characters actions and then executing them based on some algorithm, why not just revamp it and make it more like selecting the player action and executing them inmediatly, similar to a CTB from FFX but without the visual aid for who has next turn. This adds the posibility to have eventually a plugin for Active Time Battle in a more simple way (ok, not so simple but you get the idea).
- Battle log an optional thing. Text based battle? Really? Come on! Who do you think you are? Sheldon Cooper? Ok, being serious, this to me seemed to be something that is more cumbersome than helpful, VX, VX Ace and MV had it but I mean...show, don't tell should be your programming motto!
- Simple Battle Results screen. Doesn't have to be fancy, just to the point. Total exp won, what items were gained, skills gained, and probably who leveled up and who gained x parameter increase, you know, the basic, to the point, nothing fancy. This would be a slam dunk actually.
- Good code documentation. I know Japanese software developers basically see the world in code like Neo, but some of us are kind of slow to get the idea. I know, it's basically impossible to get an excelent code documentation, even where I work the manual for the product is better done than the code documentation...if it actually existed. Ok, kidding aside, at least a good documentation for what does the method do, how it is used, if it's part of other methods in a process, things like that would be extremely helpful.

I think that for me, this would amount for excelent improvements over MV to call MZ a better or even superior version. With professional software develpers, what I wrote here, should take no more that 1 year of development to add (so much so that some are actually plugins for MV)

This are my two cents for this thread, hope to see some of this added to MZ.

Parallax Panda

Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It's called "Map Chips" in Japan. I've seen that term fly around japanese sites not just in relation to MV but tilesets in general.

Besides that. It would be helpful if any important announcements were placed in in the opening message on the first page of this thread by @Touchfuzzy . I think that way less people might miss it. Like a FAQ that's updated weekly with the new announcements?

IRHP

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Very interesting, I hope more than anything that it's somehow even easier to use lol.

FiercestPixel

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't know... From what we know so far, feels like this RPG Maker MZ might as well have been a free update for MV. I honestly don't know how much further than MV they can go with this version. It made sense going from XP to Ace (not VX), made sense going from Ace to MV, but from MV to MZ I don't know, I think they'll really have to out-do themselves to make people drop an already established and complete engine to an incomplete one where you won't even have scripts to hold on to.

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I really think Kadokawa should have gone for a 3D RPG Maker this time, there's a market for that, and they could basically 2 main engines. One 2D (MV) and one 3D. Keep both up to date, give them upgrades once in a while and they could feed off these two engines for years.

I don't know, I'm very curious about the new functionalities, but I don't know why, I'm not feeling it. I hope I'm wrong, but I ask myself what will they do on MZ that we can't do already in MV with scripts?

Anyways, here's some fun info we can get from the screenshots:
Sem Título-1.png
That layer tab is looking pretty tempting for us parallax mapping folk.

MikePjr

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Uhhh if anything, my hope is i won't have to use parallax BECAUSE of the layer options.

Also, keep in mind folks that early rpg makers used the term "chipsets" but later versions called "tilesets".

Oscar92player

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Most of you should know that the main reason it is called Tilesets is because... you are drawing tiles? :rswt

I don't know. I always called them Tile Set or Tilesets because it is what they are, a set of tiles for creating maps.

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I remember them being called chipsets prior to RMXP. Never knew why, and still don't know what chipsets or map chips are. What's a chip? Is it a term for sprites, or perhaps a certain style of pixel art? Does it have something to do with chipsets inside computers? I have no clue.

MikePjr

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The tiles are chips.
Kind of like the pieces on a board.
I've played board games where little piece were called chips.. so i dunno.
I still understand it perfectly well either way, and i would not mind it if they went back to calling chipsets.. i'd still know what it was.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Not potato chips..
Except that in UK English (& therefore in several other countries as well) that's not a potato chip, that's a crisp. For us a chip is a fatter version of what you call a French Fry.

I personally would not like to go back to calling them map chips and chip sets. It is far less descriptive and intuitive, imo, than tiles and tile sets. Also just think of the confusion for new users who come onto a site where everyone is talking about tiles and as far as they are aware, they don't have any.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
They were called Mapchips in 2k and 2k3 because that's what they're called in Japanese and those makers were only released in English as fan translations until Kodakawa updated them and released them onto steam fairly recently. The fan translators chose to keep that term.

Juanita Star

Witch of compilations.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVX
Seeing the map again, I can say that I dont fancy that new look. But oh well.

Jomarcenter

jomarcenter-MJM
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
ENGLISH
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If I can get the hand of the MZ software, I may start on making plugin and tools for game dev.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving, and I'm so excited! I've been exploring MZ a little, and I just downloaded Effekseer to make new animations. I have experience in 3D animation software, so I'll be pretty good at the whole "particle" thing. My first game on MZ will be Fantasy Force--starring a griffin, a dragon, and a pegasus fighting against the Dragon of Darkness.
currently listening to Driftwood Gaming streaming some MZ dev time and it's delightful! had no idea they were this entertaining, love it
In quarantine, will be tested soon. This year is really something... special.
I was at another orientation yesterday and I realized I'll be working with an old friend! We met at the local water park a few years back and it was so nice to see her again! We had a chat, and next week when I officially start, I'll see if maybe we can trade our Zoom IDs so we can talk!
I made some sideview closets for MV!
You can find them in my MV resource thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmc1980