Slightly Crazy Programmer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
"Command"

I wonder what that means? Maybe some kind of Command system to use instead of formulas? Maybe even being able to download new commands like plugins and use them visually with no typing involved? That sounds possible. It's not hard to implement and could make the engine a lot better for it's main audience.
I don't think that's a hint towards anything in particular. The line "A new RPGMaker draws near. Command?" is a Dragon Quest reference. In the first game, a similar line is shown when a battle starts. But I could be wrong. At this point, everything is speculation.

Hudell

Dog Lord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Java's Crypt
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't think that's a hint towards anything in particular. The line "A new RPGMaker draws near. Command?" is a Dragon Quest reference. In the first game, a similar line is shown when a battle starts. But I could be wrong. At this point, everything is speculation.
ah, that makes sense.
I was already making a few more theories, like the ability for plugins to register new commands for the event command list...

Ami

World Maker
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
i want to see the ability of new rm engine. my wish just 1: no 3D :headshake:

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, I have no idea what it contains, so here's my wishlist:
  • More event options (at least bring back event options from RM2K3).
  • More mapping layers, even just +1 layer would be a huge improvement.
  • Better optimisation for larger sized maps.
  • Maybe some built-in menu designer that lets you create or customise existing menu lay-outs to a degree without needing to code (this is RPG Maker, are you expecting me to code now?)
  • Improve the battle animation tab. It feels like there's been barely any improvements to it since RM2K, which is still serviceable, but I think it's time for an upgrade.
  • Keep side-view battles, or no buy.
  • They probably should look at some of the most widely used plugins and take hints from those as well.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
"Command"

I wonder what that means? Maybe some kind of Command system to use instead of formulas? Maybe even being able to download new commands like plugins and use them visually with no typing involved? That sounds possible. It's not hard to implement and could make the engine a lot better for it's main audience.
It's just a DQ reference. No secret message there, I was just being dorky.

Dragon_quest_battle_2.png

Juanita Star

Witch of compilations.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVX
Anything that makes mapping and eventing even better.

And hell, maybe a “import game from old versión” button.

Rukiri

I like to make Action-RPGs
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Proper mapping would be nice, need to put to rest the vx era of mapping. Im assuming this is just mv ace/plus.

Id love a built in animation system vs ordered spritesheets, particle editor would be nice as well.

Also the new engine needs to be desktop first not a second class citizen to mobile.

Last edited:

Mimironi

But what do I know?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ohh, exciting! I'm (of course) not sure what to expect, but I'll be patiently & eagerly waiting for more news over the weeks!:MV1:

Dororo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As a newcomer I don't feel being "cheated" at all and I don't have any particular expectance. Anyway, if the engine will be the gateway to console market (and that's a SERIOUS market), there will be a revamp on map building an movement engine - that grid system and the necessity of parallaxes is quite embarassing, considering less specialized engines perform better in that sense. There's a lot of stratification made for newbies that make the engine strangely contrived, so if I was Mr.Kadokawa I'll drop newbies and I'll make a more robust and logical GUI for developers (they can use other simpler engines to make that 5 minutes RPG). As for that plugin affair, it was strange to me to notice how the community loaded such a weight on the shoulder of a single user... like the engine did nothing without him. I'll swear I've seen nothing like this in other devs communities. If no yanfly's there, that's mean more people will try to come with plugins and the knowledge will be shared (to me, as a newcomer, being replied as "there's a plugin for that!" to a technical question look more like lazyness... and lazyness create dependency).

XPKobold

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
For me i really don't know about this considering mapping in MV while fun had it's own challenges with just one layer and event compared to XP with three layers + the event layer.

And being over reliant on plugins with MV considering you really never seen this issue at all with the earlier RPG Makers especially 2000/2003. It's really odd that a lot of useful features were missing in MV that needed a plugin for it to work.

Driftwood Gaming

For just $1 a day you can prevent forest fires...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello, today we held a live stream talking about the upcoming engine. It's mostly speculation but has several good ideas that I wanted to share here.

Driftwood Gaming speculation and discussion video (link to video: )thoughts:
The audience and myself would like to see some of these features added if possible.

* We need a easy way to port to Android and OS! We need simple APK packaging tools to import to other platforms!
This was extremely complicated for the typical user in MV, which was sort of a huge selling point for the engine in the first place.

* A modifiable engine code, or at least sections of the main engine.

* A page of custom buttons that the user will be able to store script calls into for common features that don't have a button yet.

* A larger script call box.

* A much better map editor with more layers and tilesets.

* 8 Directional Movement, or pixel movement with some kind of collision detection.

* ABS Combat system, tactics battle system, ATB, in general additional battle system options.

* Some form of 3D integration.

* Visual HP Bars built-in as well as other options for GUI elements.

* Highly commented core code.

* Native doodads.

* Built in customization HUD Maker.

* Plugin Making Tool.

* GOOD DOCUMENTATION!!!

* Lighting Engine.

* Native Message core.

* Most of Yanfly's plugin's functionality.

* Camera control in the event contents editor.

* An improved and extended character generator.

* Skill trees.

* Tall sprite options.

* Sprite scaling based on map position.

* More side view battlers built in.

* Prefer to keep the plugin language interpreter (JS).

* More options for things that can happen upon a 'Game Over'.

* More supported file extensions for video and music.

* A much better 'show text' feature.

* A way to port an RPG Maker MV project into the newest iteration of RPG Maker.

* Some sort of enforcement or protection of people uploading other peoples' games as their own on the mobile market.

* XBox and PS controller support.

* Colorblind mode, multiple themes, and please keep the dark theme.

* Expandable note fields.

* Crash protection.

* Improve the Exclude unused assets checkbox to also check for assets that plugins may be utilizing, if possible.

* Built-in particle engine.

* More control over the interactions of weapons, armors and items.

* Better self-switch control (more self switches).

* Increase limits on the JSON in database. (For example allow more than 1000 CE)

* THX Surround sound(spatialized sounds).

* Better encryption.

* Visual Scripting.

* Networking functionality to share games and allow for multiplayer functionality.

* Most of the Qplugins suite functionality.

* Options to increase character sprite frames(from more than 3).

* SPINE, Crazy Talk 3, and/or other skeleton-animation software integration.

oh and of course they want to be able to:
* Instantly learn complicated JS functionality upon opening the software for the first time. :)

Ultimately the stream has decided ;) that this new engine should be called:

RMX - 7

Other suggestions were:

RPG Maker MV Ace - 4 votes

Here's a few more names that happened to be mentioned:
RPG Maker Star
All of your Maker are belong to us
RPG Maker Ultimate
RPG Maker Accel
RPG Maker 3D
RMDelta
RM2020
RPGMaker and Knuckles
RMEndgame
RPG Maker Crystal Pepsi Edition
RPG Maker Default Font Edition
RPG Maker The New Challengers

Last edited:

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hopefully they don't bundle images of girls in panties with golf clubs with the content this time. MV's release with the special assets took me by surprise.
I still have those! xD No idea why they were bundled with MV originally, but they were removed eventually.

Shake0615

Reanimator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
At this point there would need to be something truly revolutionary for me to buy. A QoL upgrade from MV won’t do it. I know I’m in the minority but if this one is still 2D then I’m probably passing.

Mrs_Allykat

Failsauce
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The best thing is, unlike the version updates of MV, we can have the "new" projects sit side-by-side with our current endeavors. I'll save my wish-list for another time; for now, I'll just be excited!

Lantiz

JonesKiddo / Biterkid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
Other
They are probably using the same core as the nintendo switch version, which means it's probably MV using a new core with support for console deployment.

Considering C# is a complex language for beginners, it would go against the usual RPG Maker characteristic of being accessible. So, I guess the core engine is probably C and the scripting language is LUA.

Of course I could be totally wrong, but it looks like a good time to be back.

ave36

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
ave36 casts Berserk on herself!

I am still not finished with converting my VX project to MV fully, and now another RPG maker? I guess I'll ignore it altogether like I ignored VXAce. I will not touch it until I deliver a complete version of Legend of Terra Firma on MV. Unless it will be similar enough to MV to allow automatic conversion. But the scripts, the plugins... So much work....

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I hope it remains 2D simply because it's much easier to work with on a casual level. It's much easier to make edits to a sprite than to a 3D model. SMILE Game Maker is basically 3D RPG Maker, and though making games with it is fairly easy, the resources are lacking because it's 3D. They even managed to make a 3D character generator, but they're super basic and blocky (kinda like Minecraft characters).

Tai_MT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
While I'd love the new RPG Maker...

It seems like we have "removed features" ever single iteration of these things, and I'm just not really all that fond of continuously losing functionality and well-designed user-friendly stuff.

If you want a "Day One" purchase from me, then it'll have to come with more than like 40 monster sprites. Like, I'm looking for at least 250 in the style of the RTP (at least if the RTP is good, as it usually is) and covering most of the common monsters you see in RPG's. Wolves, Bears, etcetera.

I'm not looking to buy a "minimum viable product" and then HOPE it eventually sells DLC or Features I can actually use. Most of the DLC resources released with MV are nigh unusable or clash heavily with each other.

Otherwise... I think it'll probably be a "wait and see, and buy it only if they haven't removed more stuff".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Government : "Hehehe~ I will spread lies that the earth is round so that I could sell globes~"
Anyone here managed to never burn out on programming? My current limit is 3 months(6-8 hours per day, 7 days per week, 50 hour programming week on average), and then I just have to take a break, sometimes lasting few days(with at most 2 hours on programming per day). I've been always like this so far, so I admire those who can always be so passionate on programming :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vattitheminish