beliziam

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Germany
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I started using RPG Maker in 2001 when a german magazine promoted some community games. I was 11 at the time :D

Driftwood Gaming

https://discord.gg/DriftwoodGaming OfficialPartner
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
My first RPG Maker was in Japanese. I think it was 2000. I had Windows 95 on my machine at the time. A wonderful piece of advanced technology. It was a Packard bell with 120Mhz processor, 16MB RAM, 28.8kbps dial-up modem and at the time nobody I knew even heard of a graphics card.
1592442259536.png

MikePjr

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So many of you are so much younger than me.
I was in my 20s when i started using the software.
I'm almost 40 now.
I still love the music in the console iterations.

Vanilla Cheesecake

Cheesecake Demon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I've been using RPG Maker since the fan-translated version of 2003. I was like 9 or 10 on a little Windows 2000 PC. Something like 14 years ago now I reckon. I remember some years later idling on RPG Revolution (RIP) and rpgmaker.net constantly. It wasn't until like 4 or 5 years later that I found out that RM2003 at the time was illegal, lol.

While I've had a fading presence in the community here and there, coming back and seeing lots of new stuff (much akin to me finding out about MZ) is great every time. Seeing this series evolve over the years has been fantastic.

Xelion

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
I'm really glad Degica started localizing the RPG Maker series. I started, as many othes, with the unofficial translations of RPG Maker 95 and 2000 (the first Spanish translations were called RPG Maker 2000 and RPG Maker PRO respectively so it was kinda confusing) 20 years ago. I was around 13 and starting High School.
It's always been a hobby of making games and sharing games with friends (and starting and cancelling projects one after another) but it's been a lot of fun.
Glad to be able to actually buy and own them now.

nanakra

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Got my own start on RPG Maker 95.
Still have not released a game to this day.
*Hangs head in mock shame*

I loved listening to all the music though.
Was so jazzed to recognize some real gems from RM2k and 2k3 in MV.
Really wishing they would remaster the midi RMXP tracks. (Maybe for MZ?)
That DLC they had that "remastered" the RMXP soundtrack a few years ago just butchered all the songs.
It was heart breaking.

JosephSeraph

White Mage
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
There seems to be several JavaScript MIDI players so stitching one of them into a project as a plugin doesn't sound so impossible >.<

I actually love the compositional limitations MIDI imposes us, as an unexperienced composer it forces me to be creative :>

MikePjr

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Don't feel bad @nanakra
I've never finished anything either..
I won't go into why..
Also, they did remaster the XP tracks.
I don't know how to get it.. but it exists.
I was working on my own remasters as well at one point.

KoalaFrenzy

Eucalyptus Salad. Every day.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'll just preface it by saying I meant to say "big reveals" as in all the big reveals that were KDKW approved are going to be on Thursdays at that time. Tonight's will be one of the biggest ones so far, but mostly because of implications than what it is directly.
Give me Nintendo Switch export support! (It's one of two things that will make me hop platforms with my current game.)

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
because of implications

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG Export to console!!!! What else could it mean?
Doesn't interest me much. Just throwing it out there because the conversation in this thread has gotten far too sensible ;)

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I actually love the compositional limitations MIDI imposes us, as an unexperienced composer it forces me to be creative :>
No, it's actually the opposite. It simplified a lot. You don't get to choose tens of piano sound samples and confused about which one is better. MIDI sound synthesizer only has a few piano sound samples which they often in batch(? I forgot the term) 1 to 3 (or if you consider it up to 7), except the synthesizer uses all the 128 instruments as a piano channel for whatever reason.

Not to mention, mixing and mastering hell. You don't do that in MIDI :>

M.I.A.

Goofball Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
One of the things that I think gets missed a lot is that both @Archeia and me have been fans of RPG Maker for WAY WAY longer than we've ever worked at Degica. I'm a fan first. Trust me, we're waiting for the time when we can talk about every new feature.

(I've been using RPG Maker for... 20+ years. And I think Archeia is right around at the same time frame when she first started)

Same here! I seem to recall a lot of early stuff from you.. but I never really got serious about 'the community' of it until much later. Wasn't your community character in ACE an Alf look-a-like? Maybe I'm mixing up members... I just recall a Hook Shot and Map Scroll (Zelda style) mod demo that got me super stoked. LOL!!

-MIA

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would love to know the opinion for people who know how the software look : do you feel the dev listened to our request? WELL not taking everything but do you feel they said : hum actuallty maybe this is a good idea if everyone request it?

I feel the 4 layer mapping control seem to be a decent approach to that?

K2loid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I got started with XP around 2007-ish? And was super into the community because I was so excited to show my design sense...I was a terrible artist yet earnestly attempted to draw my own crude title screen and talksprites and all. Good times. I quickly made the swap to 2k3 when I heard complaints about XP being lacking in comparison, and it+the influx of Yume Nikki fangames got me interested in pixel art. When I got VX Ace as soon as it dropped, I obtained RTP Brain Damage, and I think I just used RPG Maker as a vessel to practice pixel art from then on. So 13 years off and on...and I have never made more than 3 maps for a game. Some of those maps were ambitious, but I've never created more than 3.........

I want to actually make a game with MZ, so I'm excited to learn about all the tools I have at my disposal. Thrilling!

Mrs_Allykat

Failsauce
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My story started much later, but my daughter used to make games on the PS1 when she was a child. I played everything she attempted. It wasn't until MV that she convinced me to try it. Now I'm stuck here. LOL

Also, is there a link for the upcoming reveal, or is it going to be on the Degica Twitch channel?

Knightmare

Knight of the Night
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
...I just can't say much until then...

You just said way more than you realize :LZYcheeze:

I work Thursday and drive for a living, so alas... I will have to sleep through it :LZSsad: I need to not run people over and all that jaz. :LZSlol:

At least if you run people over all the time spent with the police and what not will make the evening go quicker and before you know it it will be announce time!

You know what's funny, I think the "hero" uses the adult male picture from the leaks from what i can tell. Imagine the kid version.

This made me laugh way more than it probably should have. I may just custom make an old man to be the main character in my RPG.

At this point for me it really doesn't even matter what they put in the engine or what doesn't get put in the engine. The end result will be me still buying it no matter what. In fact I'll probably buy it for myself, my wife and my kids. So yeah... If you couldn't tell, I'm kind of invested here.

Drifty! Huge fan of you and Tea. Nice to meet you. Your First Impressions videos are awesome. Thanks for doing what you do. Same here, I'm picking this up like I do every maker.

Full Honesty: If you guys think you are frustrated about not knowing anything yet, it is just as frustrating for me to not be able to just talk about everything.

You could just PM us all, your bosses won't know... :LZYcool:

As far as RPG Maker talk, I started with 2000 and the PS1 one, I actually managed to crank out a 15 hour game on the PS1 even with the clunky as heck text mechanism. Good times. Yet to finish a game on the PC RPG Makers but getting close on the one I'm working on on MV. I think it's safe to say we are all rabid fans of the franchise.

Last edited:

Benku

Mecha King
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I started with rm2k,at first i was hesitant to use it until i played this one Japanese rm game then it lead me into doing spriteing and other stuff. I yet to finish a game but i plan too on mv but..... Since this news, I don't know. I might move my project to it depending.

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
EN, FR
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I started out in the early RPG Maker VX age before VXA. I was young at the time (14 I think, not sure), but that's what got me into coding. Of course I never finished a game until many years later when I got VXA (never released that one though), and another with MV (that one is released). So yeah, it'll soon be 10 years for me (in 1-2 years I think, I never kept track). I just wished I kept my projects from back then (lost all my data on an old computer, even the engine. I bought back VX and VXA on steam afterward lol).

No, it's actually the opposite. It simplified a lot. You don't get to choose tens of piano sound samples and confused about which one is better. MIDI sound synthesizer only has a few piano sound samples which they often in batch(? I forgot the term) 1 to 3 (or if you consider it up to 7), except the synthesizer uses all the 128 instruments as a piano channel for whatever reason.

Not to mention, mixing and mastering hell. You don't do that in MIDI :>
Well I don't do midis (well not as a finished products, but sometimes I score in Musescore before composing in a DAW), but I don't do mixing and mastering :p Joking, I know you love your midis, and to be fair I also like midis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Don't you just hate it when you get a high level armor only for it to look like a metal plated bikini on your female character?? Seriously. How can that protect you??? Enemies can hit the squishy parts! :kaosigh:
Bathrooms are not designed for the middle of the night.
so... I decided since a park was an area in my game... here's an enemy that's slide with a hand behind it. cause why not.
Hot chocolate and music make studying and note-taking much easier :kaoluv:
Until my hand cramps up from writing too much!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Br8228