JohnDoeNews

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
(...)It's industry practice for the platform owner to take a portion of sales for paid assets (usually 30%, I think) when bought through their store.
30% is a lot. Most stores I know the rate from, are 10%. Itch.io and ******* both ask 10%, I believe Steam asks 10% too (after a $100 fee). 10% seems to be the default. That would still mean a lot for the reseller. (10% of 100.000 users income, is still 100x the avarage income.

If you (reseller) takes 30%, and tax takes another 30%, that leaves us hungry and homeless.

Keep them all on default, and you may as well not have them at all.
Never mind... :p I really don't feel like defending my idea here. If you don't understand what optional means, then I can as well try to explain this to a brick.

Do you really not understand what I am talking about, or do you just want to know better?

Last edited:

yeahchris

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would prefer it if they would focus on improving their asset *generators* so that people can more easily make unique content that fits in with the default assets rather than trickle releasing characters as DLC.

I honestly think that more people would be interesting in buying DLC if it improved their ability to easily make their own content rather than buying a character that will immediately be featured in 10 games other than their own.

Don't release a character -- release a clothing pack. A hairstyle pack. For the character -generator-. And yes, charge for it if you must.

Also, for the love of God, no more chibis.

Wavelength

Edge of Eternity
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
30% is a lot. Most stores I know the rate from, are 10%. Itch.io and ******* both ask 10%, I believe Steam asks 10% too (after a $100 fee). 10% seems to be the default. That would still mean a lot for the reseller. (10% of 100.000 users income, is still 100x the avarage income.

If you (reseller) takes 30%, and tax takes another 30%, that leaves us hungry and homeless.
You're actually incorrect - Steam takes 30% from most sales, which is an industry standard that Apple set the precedent for with their 30% cut in the App Store. I think itch.io does take a lot less, but it mostly sells games, not assets - and Patre0n is not a store at all.

Unity takes 30% from its asset store, and I think similar numbers are used in most other in-engine asset stores.

The most important point, though, is that it wouldn't leave us hungry and homeless at all! It would give asset makers a platform where they could sell their products to everyone who would want them! 100% of people who are looking for your (perhaps obscure) paid asset can find it, instead of a small fraction of 1%, and you don't have to spend time (and money) setting up and maintaining a storefront. Very few people to date have been able to make a living (or even pocket money) selling their assets for Ace or MV. With an asset store, thousands of talented artists, musicians, and scripters could get in on the action!

It's like the Sharks often say in Shark Tank when they ask for a big chunk of equity but have the know-how to take a business to the next level: "70% of something big is a lot more than 100% of nothing." :)

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

30% is the standard for Steam, and Unity Asset Store. I can attest to that as we've used both to sell products.

CloudzChow

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Me rn!

Also I hope the game will stick with Javascript, don't tlet them learning new coding again because that will stress them all. Also please make non-chibi sprites as default with lots of character parts without being behind paywall. And need furry character plz~ OwO

Last edited:

HalcyonDaze

Smoke and Mirrors
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My money is on this being an "RMMV Ace" type of thing, not that I'm complaining. I imagine it will have some of the improvements and modifications to the engine that MV Trinity had, even though that was developed by a different team, if I recall. I'm just going off the dome here, but some improvements I, personally, would like to see in the new engine would be:

*As others have said, a more robust generator
*The ability to lay out a "move route" command on the map itself, rather than clicking "left, left, up, etc"
*Integrated quest/weather/lighting/time systems, that can be augmented via JS later
*The ability to move and resize things on the fly

I'm sure I could think of a bunch of other stuff, but all of these seem pretty reasonable to me.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It would be a significant extra cost, but also an ENORMOUS extra income stream! It's industry practice for the platform owner to take a portion of sales for paid assets (usually 30%, I think) when bought through their store.

Implementation could be similar to GameMaker or Unity asset stores (example from Unity's) - this isn't a pipe dream; most respected game making engines already include this level of integration and RPG Maker needs it!
I get where you came from, I also know Unity but not enough experience on it. Let's assume that the implementation can be done. The biggest challenge probably would be to set up the store itself and bring the community together. I mean, think about it. RPG Maker is Japanese software and there're hundreds or more of Japanese sites hosting their own resources on their own website. This is not Unity which originated from English speaking country (or countries?).

While I'm not 100% sure, from my experience with the code base, I thought that the event page conditions were being checked every frame, not just whenever switches/variables were updated. Am I wrong?
In VXAce (I don't know about MV), there is a variable flag named $game_map.need_refresh and that changed every time the switch/variable is changed. You can try to trace by doing global search CTRL + SHIFT + F and write need_refresh = true. That is the trigger of the global event page refresh across the whole map (you can even see this in Hime's script).

If your experience is the opposite, I can only think of these possibilities
  • You're running a parallel process that assigns a value to the game variables so that it does check every single frame update.
  • You're using this specific Hime's plugin. And what Hime did is to "add more triggers in many areas" so that it behaves like a real-time, but is not. They just added trigger refresh when you equip/unequip, state change, learn a skill, forget skill, change class, change exp, and the list goes on "in case you're going to use a script condition that uses it".
I don't think the processing overhead would be too high - possibly even lower than the extra processing overhead necessitated by having more event pages and additional parallel process events to evaluate conditions and turn switches On/Off appropriately so they can be used as event page conditions.
What many people do is that they use the parallel process to set the variable, essentially triggers the refresh across the whole map. Combine that with 100 events on the map because they use events as mapping cosmetics that do not do anything aside from being cosmetic. And that is also being checked. Granted, the lags are from various factors, but that is one of the contributing factors. Now you're suggesting that if the page condition is being checked every frame won't be different. No, it is going to be different.

K2loid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
One of my biggest gripes with MV is that a huge chunk of the assets ranges from badly rendered to outright ugly, so I hope this is all new assets like the rest of the mainline releases (barring VXAce).

I myself am praying for 3D. I think in order to retain compatibility with the old assets and design sense, it'd be limited camera, low poly, option to use 2D sprites, AKA Smile Game Builder's kit. The kinds of games you play on the 3DS.

I thiiiink it'd be pretty simple to break actor bodies into heads and clothing. Using the logic of Roblox, Animal Crossing custom patterns, Minecraft skins, Smile Game Builder, etc etc etc etc, where the UV maps are very simple, precise, and consistent so that even a 10-year-old could create decent-looking textures with relative ease.

Monetary wise, and this is continuing to assume low poly, there can be head packs, accessory packs, and clothing packs that are bundled with a few default textures, all of which could be produced quickly and on a scale comparable to the current MV glut of content packs... It'd also stimulate new creatives to learn 3D, and encourages people to diversify their material. Also makes it easier to express art styles; a lot of people don't know how to draw on tiny sprites, but have an easier time of it on a 3D canvas. Sure, the characreator would be MUCH more limited, but that's more content, more editors in the community...

Ugh I'm thinking in capitalisms again don't let the fever take me

Of course, I'm being desperately optimistic here. My truest heart of hearts wish is native doodads and 8-directional movement. It's okay if the events and terrain are blocky. I want to draw on my map. I want to wander :(

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
While I'm not 100% sure, from my experience with the code base, I thought that the event page conditions were being checked every frame, not just whenever switches/variables were updated. Am I wrong?
In VXAce (I don't know about MV), there is a variable flag named $game_map.need_refresh and that changed every time the switch/variable is changed. You can try to trace by doing global search CTRL + SHIFT + F and write need_refresh = true. That is the trigger of the global event page refresh across the whole map (you can even see this in Hime's script).
The event page conditions are only checked when need_refresh is on. The functions that change those things - switches, variables, self switches, party members, party items, turn need_refresh on. This reduces lag by ONLY checking for a change in active pages when something happens that could actually make those conditions change. Doing it every frame would cause a massive performance hit.

To test, you can do the following in MV:
in rpg_objects.js, find this block of code (started on line 5803 for me)
Code:
Game_Map.prototype.refreshIfNeeded = function() {
    if (this._needsRefresh) {
        this.refresh();
    }
};
and comment out the surrounding condition, so you're left with:
Code:
Game_Map.prototype.refreshIfNeeded = function() {
//    if (this._needsRefresh) {
        this.refresh();
//    }
};
Or, if you use Ace, do the following instead:
in Game_Map, find this block of code (started on line 563 for me):
Code:
  def update(main = false)
    refresh if @need_refresh
    update_interpreter if main
    update_scroll
    update_events
    update_vehicles
    update_parallax
    @screen.update
  end
and remove the condition, so you're left with:
Code:
  def update(main = false)
    refresh #### if @need_refresh
    update_interpreter if main
    update_scroll
    update_events
    update_vehicles
    update_parallax
    @screen.update
  end
This will cause all events to refresh (check for the correct active page) on every frame.

So allowing a script call as an event page condition would require events to check for active pages every frame, because anything could trigger a page change.

pasunna

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
one thing I want it to improve
is the edge of map vs the screen camera block
when map not scroll the character blur
and no one fix that...
because mostly when it comes to small character it less notice
it get more notice with large sprite and with on map action game
that you make many movement on map it's annoying when your character blurs a lot
but this is turn base combat engine so that why no one care much to fix it

I don't see this happen with other game engine
I still wonder why...

IguanaGuy

Developing I.C.B.M. :Unleashed!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Interesting news. I will be looking forward to more information about the new engine. I'm a big MV user and have some large projects on the go so not sure about making the switch right away...
One wish I would have is a pixel ratio slider bar so I can make graphics retro or high def depending on the game I'm making! Now that would be a sweet feature! - that I don't expect to see, but hey, Its a dream wish.

Former_Sky

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
At the top of my wish list would be 3d. I would love to make an rpg in the style of ps1 games, either with 3d backgrounds and 2d characters, or 2d backgrounds and 3d characters. That feels like a pipe dream however.

After reading this topic, some people want quality of life improvements, which I can get behind. Hopefully the game window can be increased, if nothing else.

fluffymonster

She's So FLUFFY!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'll have to see the features. If it has a lot that I'm interested in/want, I'll consider it. Otherwise I'll probably pass and stick with MV.

PixelHeart

The Pixel Heartist!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
This is great, very excited...heres hopeing for improvements to whats already there, and interesting new features (especially if its native resolution/tile grid size support ;) )....just... just please keep the SVBattle system in/optional. We yelped for that for forever before MV finally brought it back from 2k3 land.

Also, if the new RM will use a different coding language I really hope which one will be one of the first details you tell us about. It would be nice to be able to learn it, in preparation for new scripts/plugins/whatever. :3

Warilized

Random Encounter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I hope they improve the thing that needs improvement and let the things that works stay as it is...

New battle system besides SV? like FF Tactics or RTS etc. are welcomed!!

Edit: Ah yeah, i sure hope the character isn't chibified and more taller like suikoden. and have more stepping animation to make it smoother

Creta_Park

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Korean
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I hope they didn't crunched developers for quality of product.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The RPG maker team does sell them now, right?
no.
One of the Degica employees handles the income from the yanfly plugins as a private person, and yanfly specified that income to be used for updating the plugins for later versions.
Degica is not Kadokawa, so Kadokawa (the people who own and program the makers) don't even have indirect access to that.

Doesn't mean everyone has to use each option added to the engine... Maybe you should google the word option. It means: not required.
and maybe you should consider what the word "option" means from the programmer's side instead of from the user's side. from the programmer's side it means "additional source of bugs and additional work that might not even be used by everyone".
A programmer can only add a limited number of options before the disadvantages of including them push the cost of programming beyond what can be paid for. They could have made better decisions on which options to include or not, that is a point where I can agree - but the options I would like to included definately do not include yanfly, because there are quite a number of things he added that are (in my opinion) rather bad.

Rukiri

I like to make Action-RPGs
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
If we're talking wishlists here is what I want.

1. A very detailed and expansive event system, MV is worse than 2k3...
  2. Sprite animation editor
  3. Pixel/8 way movement by default
  4. C# (yes, c# is very beginner friendly) or Lua
  5. WELL DOCUMENTED CORE! MVs core documentation leaves much to be desired.
  6. Particle editor
  7. 2d Lighting
  8. Basic 3D (think snes early ps1)
  9. A proper tile editor, enough with the vx style mapping... its awful.
  10. Built in code editor
  11. Gui editor (think messages, title screen, load/save screen, game over, hud, menus, etc)
  12. An option of using pure events(no scripting), pure scripting(no eventing), or a combination approach.

But because of the announcement I'm sure its maybe at 80%? So maybe a fall release?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)

• Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Quick! Someone give me a snake pun about moving.
    Meet the crew...Arrrr!
    Who knew modern medieval was an actual music genre? I don't know what the youtube algorithms are doing but for once they found something actually fascinating:
    Yay! Got 3 new frying pans, its weird, but I'm so happy about it.
    Yelp. I've discovered that I am one of those people who should not be drinking coffee. Took me a week detoxing off of coffee and switching to tea to realize how badly it was affecting me- and I've been drinking the stuff for years. Yikes!

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    rai1209