Tayruu

・ ゚*。・゚(幸)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k
*The ability to lay out a "move route" command on the map itself, rather than clicking "left, left, up, etc"
Okay this is actually a pretty great idea. Giving the user a preview of the map and let them trace across the map and export that to Move Route (or even make it entirely visual with icons for other commands like lock facing direction) would make things much more streamlined.

Shikamon

The Dragonslayer
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I just want MV 2.0 with all proper fixes, don't want change program too much coz I become too familiar with VXAce or MV one. Kinda difficult learning something new these days.

Chaos17

Dreamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
One piece of information I can share though is MV tilesets, sprites, etc will work with the new RM. I can't go into the full detail, but don't want people to think that their purchases are all going out the window if they switch.
This gives me hope that we will be able to adjust ourselves the size of tiles we want for the map editor which makes me hope for native pixel movement. :kaopride:

Edit: I wonder if we will be able to share our project with Trinity users...

Last edited:

Animebryan

Need more resources!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't have high hopes for this either. Kadokawa's track record with the past few RPG Maker have been '2 steps forward, 1 step backward' & lazy. There's not much difference in the eventing system between VX Ace & MV. Not only that, but battle events are practically a joke. Way too limited. Not only that, but trying to create a RM for mobile was one of the worst ideas they ever had. Why make a RM program for a platform that can't handle the processing demands?

VX Ace has a max map size of 500x500, while MV reduced it to 256x256. When you have to nerf features like that because the platform can't handle it without lagging, then maybe you should keep it on a platform that can handle it.

Here's my list of flaws for MV that need to fixed in the new Maker to even consider it worthy:

#1 - Stop relying on external plugins!
The problem I'm having with my current project is plugin errors & incompatibility. This is one of the reasons why I can't ever finish a project because **** doesn't want to work right & it's difficult to find a solution to these problems. A lot of these features would be more stable if they were just incorporated into the editor by default. That way incompatibility wouldn't be an issue & these features would be updated every time the program gets updated.

In fact, one feature that used to exist in R2k3 was to have maps that randomly generate each time you entered them. Nobody managed to succeed in bringing this feature back in MV because of the amount of effort it would take to do it. Just simply having the feature from the editor (Generate Dungeon) go into effect in real time would be a lot easier than having someone try to add that from scratch through a plugin.

#2 - HUD & Menu Customization
The previous makers NEVER gave the option to customize HUDs & menus by default and forced you to use plugins for this. Nonsense! That's just lazy. That option needs to be there by default! No excuses!

#3 - Better Character Generator & add Monster & Icon generators too
Adding generator parts was way more complicated than it needed to be. On top of needing a wider variety, there needs to be a monster generator that supports both front & side view (ever notice how some enemy sprites look the same in both front view & side view folders?) One of the things everyone is agreeing on is that no one like random encounters anymore & prefer map encounters (enemy sprite on the map moves around/chases you & starts a battle when it touches/interacts with you).

The problem with this is that the RTP is extremely limited & doesn't provide a map sprite for every RTP enemy. The largest collection of monster sprites would be Aekashics' battlers, but not all of them have map sprites, or even face graphics for that matter. And not everyone likes their art style either, but having a decent collection of monster sprites that aren't commercial rips or style clashes just isn't possible unless you're a graphics/pixel artist, but not everyone is.

#4 - Expanded Eventing options & Conditional Branch checks
Once again plugins were relied on to expand features concerning Choices, Conditional checks & the like. The number of choices displayable should be expanded to either the whole screen or even made into a scrollable list, and each choice option should allow for a condition to be checked to make it visible/selectable (referring to Tsukihime's Conditional Choice Text & Hidden Choice Conditions plugins). These should be default features, not something that needs to be added by plugin writers because Kadokawa was too lazy to implement it. Also, Battle Events need a MAJOR upgrade because they're just too limited.

#5 - New Battle System Options
On top of Front-view & Side-view, people would like to see Tactics style battle systems similar to FF Tactics, Fire Emblem or Advance Wars. Then there's also ABS (Active Battle Systems). Games like Legend of Zelda, Secret of Mana/Evermore, Star Ocean, etc. Hell, I tried to make mini-games like Chess, Dragon Quest 3's Pachisi Tracks, even Pac-Man and Battleship. Couldn't make a Pac-Man styled game because of lag. How sad is that?

I probably could think of more, but I'm tired & I think I've made my point to all the flaws MV and the RM series as a whole have had & I hope this new RM isn't just MV with a few quirks added. The list of flaws needs to be dealt with. Mainly reliance on plugins for features. Most of the prominent plugin writers quit on us so if the MV plugins aren't compatible, this new RM may be dead in the water right out the gate. We'll just have to wait & see I guess.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
#1 - Stop relying on external plugins!
The problem I'm having with my current project is plugin errors & incompatibility. This is one of the reasons why I can't ever finish a project because **** doesn't want to work right & it's difficult to find a solution to these problems. A lot of these features would be more stable if they were just incorporated into the editor by default. That way incompatibility wouldn't be an issue & these features would be updated every time the program gets updated.
Remember that RPG Maker is not tailored specifically for your need. Having a moddable engine is good. Plugin errors are unfortunate, however, a feature added in the plugin may not be desirable for people's projects and it causes bloat. Hence, RPG Maker comes with basic functionality. And different plugin dev have their own design philosophy that they probably also disagree on how things work, hence incompatibility.

The previous makers NEVER gave the option to customize HUDs & menus by default and forced you to use plugins for this. Nonsense! That's just lazy. That option needs to be there by default! No excuses!
The option is always there (directly edit the code), it just not friendly.
And having this as a default functionality would add extra maintenance as plugin dev.

Adding generator parts was way more complicated than it needed to be. On top of needing a wider variety, there needs to be a monster generator that supports both front & side view (ever notice how some enemy sprites look the same in both front view & side view folders?) One of the things everyone is agreeing on is that no one like random encounters anymore & prefer map encounters (enemy sprite on the map moves around/chases you & starts a battle when it touches/interacts with you).
The problem with more generator part is, it probably increases the cost of the software while some people will just draw their own resources. They don't want the generator, they don't want the cost increase for something they don't use. You have a valid point of adding more part is complicated though.

As for the monster generator, how you want it to be? The best monster generator so far, as far as I know, is just SPORE with a 3D generator that you can customize the shape and all. For 2D, do you have a reference?

#5 - New Battle System Options
On top of Front-view & Side-view, people would like to see Tactics style battle systems similar to FF Tactics, Fire Emblem or Advance Wars. Then there's also ABS (Active Battle Systems). Games like Legend of Zelda, Secret of Mana/Evermore, Star Ocean, etc. Hell, I tried to make mini-games like Chess, Dragon Quest 3's Pachisi Tracks, even Pac-Man and Battleship. Couldn't make a Pac-Man styled game because of lag. How sad is that?
The tactic battle system is a whole new system altogether and is probably better as a separate engine rather than use RPG Maker. The engine will be tailored toward the design of the tactical battle system. All the code on how to handle the entire battle system, how the unit movement works, and how the damage flow is handled.

This request is non-sense.

cthulhusquid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Anyone have any idea when this will come out based on past releases? I have a project in mind that I would like to start on using one of the new makers, but I don't want to buy MV only for it to be replaced the next day and everyone moves on to the next thing.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@cthulhusquid probably a few months, around september or october or so

it is also a question which one will be first - the japanese or the international version. MV came out internationally about a month before the japanese version, but that was most likely because Degica was pushing. Earlier makers the international versions came out long after the japanese versions.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
How long will it take to make your game? Even if the new engine is out in a few months, it will take a few months more to iron out all the bugs and have plugins and extra assets created for it. I think if you believe you'll finish your game in under 8-10 months, it's probably worth just going ahead with MV. Maybe do non-development stuff for a while and keep an eye out for sales to get it cheaper.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Wavelength Alright, let me do more quotes. For the points that I didn't quote, consider it either I agree or have no comment on it.

Event x Event Triggers: A new Event Trigger option, which causes the Event's content to run when it collides with another Event (similar to the current "Event Touch", but not limited to contact with the player). When this Trigger is selected, the designer can choose to allow triggers with any event (including the player), with a specificother event, or with any event that has a specific event graphic (useful to represent collision with a certain type of object).
  • This would be extremely useful for puzzles, minigames, action sequences, visual encounters, projectiles, and interactive objects, as well as fine control over cutscenes/sequences where the designer may not know where every actor is at all times.
While this is cool, there're numerous potential glitches that could happen. Mainly it is less idiot-proof. RPM Maker is designed as idiot-proof as possible. If your event x event trigger, I would foresee a question like "why my event randomly triggered?" turned out it was two events collide with each other outside your screen. And you have no idea why that happened. In my opinion, it is better as a separate plugin so that you're aware and deliberately put the functionality within the engine.

Battle Command Editor: A simple database tab that would allow designers to add/remove commands from the actor command menu in battle, on a per-actor basis. The designer could specify what happens when a command is chosen: Perform a Skill, Open a List of Skills, Escape Battle, Run a Common Event, or Run a Script Line. Conditions could be assigned to Commands to determine whether they should be visible/hidden and enabled/disabled. The designer could specify that certain commands do not consume the actor's turn. Add Skill Type/Seal Skill Type could be removed from Features boxes. The extremely unliked "party command" window (Fight/Escape) that appears each turn could be removed from the engine entirely.
  • This would not only streamline the battle interface, but would allow designers to get very creative with battle mechanics and interface features. Changing battle commands is one of the most-requested items on the Script Requests board, and this feature would let designers do it themselves.
From what I know, the code for battle flow is already hardcoded in such a way that adding that functionality is extremely hard without breaking the entire battle system (but it is not impossible). However, don't you think to add the battle command editor would just complicate the software? Now instead of "Let me handle the battle flow" it becomes "Make your own battle flow", in which, to be fair, not bad. But I believe this isn't what they're aiming.

Automatic Backup Option: An option the designer can set to automatically create backup copies of their project in a specified folder, with a specified frequency, up to a specified "total size" of existing backups. The backup will be created in the specified Backup folder when the player Saves their project. If the total size limit is violated, the oldest automatic backup copy will be deleted.
  • This would mean no more tears from corrupted project files or terrible mistakes! You could just switch to a backup copy.
This is rather risky. And may corrupt the file in the process if not done right due to unforeseen circumstances. The safest way is still for the dev to backup their files on their own. It is a valid idea though.

Resource Stripper: Sounds kind of dirty, but what I mean is a tool that checks your entire project to see which graphic and audio resources it is using (including ones referenced by name in plugins), and onlyincludes those resources in the packaged build that the engine creates when you Deploy your game. The designer can choose to use or ignore this tool during Deployment.
  • This would allow designers to share their games' early builds without 400MB file sizes, and improve technical performance for completed games.
As plugin dev (Yes, I made plugin in MV), this is rather, tricky.
There is no easy way on how you tell that a resource is being used. You can hardcode the name of a specific resource like Bitmap.new("Graphics/Battler/Monster.png") inside the code and it will be undetected. Now I forgot if the plugin parameter in MV could be flagged as "file used" so that could be detected. However, by doing so, it needs cooperation with many plugin devs, and some of them just go rebel and do whatever they want. And if the tool did not do the job, who to blame?

Multiple Battle Systems: This is probably the biggest "reach" on my list, but I think it would pay off huge. Giving the designer a choice between "Standard" (current MV-style battle structure), "Individual" (issue commands to actors immediately before they act, one at a time), "CTB" (battlers' turns are dictated by an AGI-based formula, with fast battlers able to "lap" other battlers in the rotation), and "ATB" (battlers have ATB gauges, and get turns when their ATB gauge fills up), would be incredible. Event Commands could be used to change the game's battle system mid-game, except while already in battle.
  • This would provide several battle systems that not only are as common in RPGs as RPG Maker's "default" system, but would also provide a way to achieve them without entire battle system plugins, which (because of their large scope) tend to cause numerous incompatibilities. Action and Tactics battle systems would require too much change from the core product, but Individual, CTB, and ATB systems are very feasible leaps that wouldn't require changing too much to make happen.
I have said my piece on the battle system in other post and I don't feel like to repeat it once again. However, requesting a different turn order could be a feasible request than requesting an entirely new battle system.

----
As for now, I'm going to stop it right here.

Poryg

Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A new RPG maker coming soon... With no information as of now. :D
I'm not keeping my expectations too high though. It's the same Kadokawa that was unwilling to go from on-demand loading to async loading even though it would provide a significant boost to performance. But who knows, maybe they'll surprise us.

jonthefox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
So exciting!

I don't expect this to have every wish-list feature talked about in the community, but I do have my hopes that at least a few of the more popular and logical improvements are coming. Improved mapping/layers/doodads, more features and flexibility in the editor so as to not require plugins, some touch-ups to the sideview battle system like skill and weapon animations.

But mostly, honestly, I'm excited for a new RTP. I loved Ace's RTP, but I did not like the direction that MV went with the chibi-style.

In the past, typically how long is the turnaround from the announcement of a new engine, to the release date? Could we expect this to ship this summer?

Also, at the end of the day, in terms of actual game-making, the biggest factors for an engine are:

-How easy and flexible is it to efficiently map with?
-How easy and flexible is it to efficiently event with?
-How easy and flexible is it for community members to make scripts/plugins for customized features?

Those are the core items that give RPGMaker its appeal, and I'd be shocked if they weren't emphasized in the development of this new engine. I can't wait!

Wavelength

Edge of Eternity
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
First of all, Theo - THANK YOU for your feedback on my list! I love discussing & workshopping ideas. :)

[About an In-Engine Asset Store]I get where you came from, I also know Unity but not enough experience on it. Let's assume that the implementation can be done. The biggest challenge probably would be to set up the store itself and bring the community together. I mean, think about it. RPG Maker is Japanese software and there're hundreds or more of Japanese sites hosting their own resources on their own website. This is not Unity which originated from English speaking country (or countries?).
I don't doubt there would be some challenges in crossing language barriers (especially for plugin descriptions; less so for audiovisual resources), and some work to do in achieving the critical mass. But the way I think of it is - what better way is there to bring the community together and get a critical mass of momentum for a one-stop place to get your resources could there be, than to have the store in the Engine itself?! There's a reason it's my #1 wish! I really do believe this Asset Store would be the best-case scenario, rather than having thousands of amazing resources floating around in the ether where most people can't find them, they never make any money, and eventually they become unavailable because someone didn't pay for site hosting fees or something.

[About Event Page Conditions]In VXAce (I don't know about MV), there is a variable flag named $game_map.need_refresh and that changed every time the switch/variable is changed. You can try to trace by doing global search CTRL + SHIFT + F and write need_refresh = true. That is the trigger of the global event page refresh across the whole map (you can even see this in Hime's script).

If your experience is the opposite, I can only think of these possibilities
  • You're running a parallel process that assigns a value to the game variables so that it does check every single frame update.
  • You're using this specific Hime's plugin. And what Hime did is to "add more triggers in many areas" so that it behaves like a real-time, but is not. They just added trigger refresh when you equip/unequip, state change, learn a skill, forget skill, change class, change exp, and the list goes on "in case you're going to use a script condition that uses it".
We're both programmers and scripters, and if I had to guess who was better at it I'd say you are, so I have no problem deferring to your opinion where you feel confident - that it could create a higher processing load for event-condition checking. However, it also means a quantum leap forward as far as what designers can do with eventing.

I'd hope that the devs would explore adding the full array of conditions (from Conditional Branches) into the options for Event Page Conditions, and judge how much it affects performance in comparison to the massive utility it provides all designers.

@Wavelength[On Event x Event Collision Triggers]While this is cool, there're numerous potential glitches that could happen. Mainly it is less idiot-proof. RPM Maker is designed as idiot-proof as possible. If your event x event trigger, I would foresee a question like "why my event randomly triggered?" turned out it was two events collide with each other outside your screen. And you have no idea why that happened. In my opinion, it is better as a separate plugin so that you're aware and deliberately put the functionality within the engine.
You make a great point - event x event collision outside the bounds of the screen could be confusing to people. (I know that events far outside the boundaries don't move, but I think ones just a few tiles outside can.) I still think the feature would be well-worth adding for all of the gameplay it can open up.

A separate plugin included in the download would be a very reasonable compromise - the only part I don't like about that is that I think it would be even less "idiot-proof" because now there is no interface for picking (for example) what event graphic the event needs to collide with in order to trigger. You would have to type it in a certain format, and get the name exactly right. People would get unexpected behavior (and non-behavior) all over the place! That's why I make several of my suggestions - they are features that would be tough to use in even the best-made plugin, but very easy if integrated into the editor itself.

[About a Customizable Command Menu]From what I know, the code for battle flow is already hardcoded in such a way that adding that functionality is extremely hard without breaking the entire battle system (but it is not impossible). However, don't you think to add the battle command editor would just complicate the software? Now instead of "Let me handle the battle flow" it becomes "Make your own battle flow", in which, to be fair, not bad. But I believe this isn't what they're aiming.
A few points to make here:
  • First of all, I am assuming that this Maker is using a mostly-new code base, like XP, MV, and even to some extent Ace (with its :command-centric menus and use of skills for Attack/Guard instead of hard-coded behavior) did. If the idea was to almost entirely recycle MV's battle and menu code, then yes, it becomes a less appealing idea.
  • Secondly, it would only add complexity for users who want to deal with that complexity. The basic menus that you could find in MV now would be the Defaults that come on the Battle Commands tab (just like the actors or elements that come with the game). If you like it as is, you could ignore that tab and never touch it. If there's literally one little thing you want to add or remove (maybe there's no Escapes in your game), you can do that easily without learning code or installing plugins. If you want to go wild with new commands, you can do that too.
  • Last is just how cool this option would be. You could add new, common options (like Quick Attack and Strong Attack) to the command menu instead of making your player hunt through menus for them. You could combine it with the Show Window event command (from my list) to bring up Status Windows or other useful information. You could create Instant Use skills, which to my knowledge have never been done correctly (Yanfly's plugin is quite buggy and it's because the code base is not designed with order-flexibility in mind). There's an endless world of possibilities that would stem from this easy-to-use feature.
[On an Auto-Backup System] This is rather risky. And may corrupt the file in the process if not done right due to unforeseen circumstances. The safest way is still for the dev to backup their files on their own. It is a valid idea though.
I definitely believe you that there would be some technical risk in making an Auto-Backup System, and I don't have the technical expertise (in file-management and saving) to be able to assess how much. I added it to my wishlist (knowing it's done in lots of programs, such as the OpenOffice suite) in the hopes that people who could assess this might find it would do a lot more good than harm.

[About the Resource Stripper]As plugin dev (Yes, I made plugin in MV), this is rather, tricky.
There is no easy way on how you tell that a resource is being used. You can hardcode the name of a specific resource like Bitmap.new("Graphics/Battler/Monster.png") inside the code and it will be undetected. Now I forgot if the plugin parameter in MV could be flagged as "file used" so that could be detected. However, by doing so, it needs cooperation with many plugin devs, and some of them just go rebel and do whatever they want. And if the tool did not do the job, who to blame?
Essentially, the Resource Stripper Tool would look at any audiovisual resources you use in your editor (event graphics, battles, tilesets, BGMs specified in maps or events, etc.), any plugins you have enabled (ON), any audiovisual resources you have in your Plugins or event Script lines (so the string Graphics/Battler/Monster.png would qualify that Monster graphic as being used), and include all System graphics (windowskins, iconset, etc.) as well - and only copy those resources into the game's deployed package.

The one place I can think of it wouldn't be able to catch are when resource strings are handled dynamically by code; such as "Graphics/Battler/Mon" + monster_number + ".png". And that's fine! If you're that advanced of a user (you are The 1%) or you've chosen to use plugins that need to play poorly with the Resource Stripper, you can choose not to use the tool (it's an option on the Deployment window, not a mandate), and remove assets from the package yourself before distributing.

It's not idiot-proof, but with the move away from RunTime Packages that MV brought, three very bad dynamics came about:
  • Early project files are 200-400MB in size rather than just a few MB. This makes collaboration a pain, as well as getting early feedback from people. Not to mention sample project files for plugins. Who wants to download half a gig to see a single mechanic in action?
  • Completed games are bloated with unused resources, because the designers are tentative to play around with removing them - just one mistake and your game will crash 15 hours in!! As far as I'm aware, this bloat negatively affects performance (in addition to wasting the player's drive space).
  • Due to not wanting to inflate the bloat even further, MV's devs were forced to exclude about half of the official "RTP" audiovisual resources from the program itself - I had to download it from a file sent to me in my registration email, and then manually add them. The editor feels incomplete at first. A lot of users see Town1, Town2, and Town6, and they legitimately have no idea where to get the missing tracks!
A Resource Stripper would solve all of these issues. We could include a large library of resources in the game's initial setup in the editor, and not worry about the deployed game's project size becoming bloated.

[On Multiple Battle Systems]I have said my piece on the battle system in other post and I don't feel like to repeat it once again. However, requesting a different turn order could be a feasible request than requesting an entirely new battle system.
No problem, I saw you savage Bryan's request so I think I get the point :D More seriously though, I think we're in total agreement here - that if a feature like this is going to happen, it should be limited to some combination of Default, Individual Turns, CTB, and ATB. Since those systems could share 95% of a (reorganized) skeleton to work from, it would be far less quixotic than trying to add something like an action battle system into the default engine. And even then, it's a reach - but a reach with a huge payoff.

===

As you know I fully agree about the value of allowing simple HUD-building and Menu-customization tools, but calling the devs lazy and simply saying "that needs to be there by default, no excuses" is not the way to ask for it! Can you describe an interface that might be included in the editor (or elsewhere) to allow designers to build HUDs/Menus, and spell out a few of the many situations where this will be super-useful to designers?

Just wanted to say that I think the Monster/Icon Generators are a really good idea! Yanfly's Icon Generator was a nifty tool and it wouldn't be hard to add something similar to the editor; the Monster Generator is something I've never thought of but now that you mention it I feel like it's something I need :D
It would be great to have the actual monsters from my game walking around maps as character events, visually. Obviously it would be limited to a single perspective and a few poses, and wouldn't be able to create anything like the bespoke monster art that comes with the game, but that's perfectly fine - the same disparity can be found in the RTP faces & characters vs. Character Generator faces & characters.

===

But mostly, honestly, I'm excited for a new RTP. I loved Ace's RTP, but I did not like the direction that MV went with the chibi-style.
Your whole post was a good review, Jon. But this line has me particularly interested to pick your mind.

What do you think would be the best approach for the next Maker's RTP? Should it still be in one, uniform style? Should they try a few different styles (and sacrifice breadth within each style to do so)? Is there one style that would please almost everyone? I liked Ace's RTP the most as well (MV's was fine for me, just too cutesy)... but I know some people massively preferred XP's (I didn't), and if the RTP was in a realistic style like PVGames' resources (which many people love), I'd hate it - I just don't like gritty looks in my JRPGs. I'm honestly at a loss over how you could please everyone (or even almost-everyone) with an RTP. Any ideas?

Last edited:

MikePjr

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I just can't get excited anymore when a new RPG Maker is announced.. just can't..
I'll wait and see..
I'm curious at best though..
But i doubt i'll have any hype this time around..
Let me add something to the discussion of RTPs.
I've gotten so good at pixel art with tools like aseprite, that the next RPG Maker could come with no RTP.. no assets.. and i'd be fine with that.. as long as implementing the sort of assets I WANT is possible.

Last edited:

BloodletterQ

Chaotic Neutral Assassin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Two things I can think of.
  1. RM2K3 style setup for side battles.
  2. Custom stats. Including removing them if so desired.

Parallax Panda

Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Lots of wishlists going on here...

Let me add one small request of a QOL feature that’s probably small enough that it could even be implemented at this stage (whatever stage that is) in the engine’s development.

In MV we have a few options under the system tab where you can check a box for starting the player as transparent and some other stuff like floor damage...
How about a box for “minimal damage 1”, where if you check it, a hit does always do at least 1 dmg. If you leave it unchecked... then it’s the same as it is now where if you don’t balance the game properly you end up hitting for 0 dmg a lot of the time.

I’ve seen this being addressed again and again over the years because it makes balancing so much easier.

Having this as a simple option would be convenient for many users, and simple to implement, I think.

jonthefox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Your whole post was a good review, Jon. But this line has me particularly interested to pick your mind.

What do you think would be the best approach for the next Maker's RTP? Should it still be in one, uniform style? Should they try a few different styles (and sacrifice breadth within each style to do so)? Is there one style that would please almost everyone? I liked Ace's RTP the most as well (MV's was fine for me, just too cutesy)... but I know some people massively preferred XP's (I didn't), and if the RTP was in a realistic style like PVGames' resources (which many people love), I'd hate it - I just don't like gritty looks in my JRPGs. I'm honestly at a loss over how you could please everyone (or even almost-everyone) with an RTP. Any ideas?
Thanks! A few thoughts:

-The rpgmaker 2k3 rtp was GREAT, in my opinion. Then it went to XP, which had its own niche charm, and some of the grass and hills were beautiful, but the battlers became chibified and unappealing. Then we got Ace, which was once again wonderful, and then MV came out and even if I could tolerate the more chibified sprites (questionable), once again the battlers indeed were way too cartoonish and cutesy. It seems like, based on history, that the company alternates in order to provide a wide appeal with their products, so...I guess I'm hoping we now get the "good" style of RTP in the next engine, as we had with 2k and Ace.

-Definitely should not try different styles; one of the biggest weaknesses of RPG Maker is the lack of variety of default assets. It's difficult to mix external asset packs together without creating too much of an aesthetic clash, so having as deep a base to work with is important, imo.

-Definitely can't please everyone. I do think a neutral style (like Ace's!) works best, because that style is appropriate and can be used for both grittier games, and more lightly toned games. It's so flexible, to me anyway.

Parallax Panda

Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Let me throw some crazy speculations in here as well.

What if the RTP tilesets of the next engine...

...was made by (or in collaboration with) *dun* *dun* *DUN* ...FSM?

Everyone seems to love their style. They do both quality and quantity and their Japanese blog has not been so active as of late (because they're busy working with Kadokawa on the next RTP!!!!)

Well, It's a wild theory!

But if it was true, it could be pretty great!
:VXA4:

JohnDoeNews

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You're actually incorrect - Steam takes 30% from most sales, which is an industry standard that Apple set the precedent for with their 30% cut in the App Store. I think itch.io does take a lot less, but it mostly sells games, not assets - and Patre0n is not a store at all.

(...)

It's like the Sharks often say in Shark Tank when they ask for a big chunk of equity but have the know-how to take a business to the next level: "70% of something big is a lot more than 100% of nothing." :)
About steam, I might be wrong. On ******* you do sell items or services, doesn't . But most of all: I think I understood the question you replied on wrong. I thought they asked for the possibility to make an in-game shop in they project, for micro payments or in game subscriptions.

Well... True it would give us a place to sell to earn a buck, but if you do it for a living, then a buck isn't enough. You already need to sell about twice as much as you want to earn, because of taxes. Add a 30% cut to a third party. I don't know high much tax you pay in USA (or whereover you might be), but here you 21% of selling price of anything you sell as tax. Add that to the fee, that is 51%. That leaves me with 49%... for now

Than comes income tax. Of that 49% I got left, tax takes another 35% or so. That leaves me with about 18% of the sales, while the reseller makes 30%. The reseller would make about twice as much on my work as I do. Even though I only got my work to sell, they sell work of 1000s of users.

I would need to sell for $7,500 per month, to make $1,350. And that is the absolute minimum I need to eat, pay by bills and live. Because I am not left with 70%, I am left with 18%

Also... I am not onto something big. I don't expect to make millions, or even tons. I am not asking people to invest a capital into my business. I just want to make games, and be able to eat too. :p

So... Yeah, 30% is a real big cut for the indie branche. To big for the little guy.

No we don't.
Really? Oh... Huh? But... Wait... I am so confused right now. :p Maybe I did misunderstand something, somewhere, somehow... I don't know... Well, than I said nothing. :p hahaha.

Although... I think it is still not a bad idea to take that library as inspiration for all improvement yet to come. ;)

(...)
and maybe you should consider what the word "option" means from the programmer's side instead of from the user's side. from the programmer's side it means "additional source of bugs and additional work that might not even be used by everyone".
A programmer can only add a limited number of options before the disadvantages of including them push the cost of programming beyond what can be paid for. They could have made better decisions on which options to include or not, that is a point where I can agree - but the options I would like to included definately do not include yanfly, because there are quite a number of things he added that are (in my opinion) rather bad.
If there is an option to change parameters, and you don't touch it, then the parameters would be exactly as they were when that option wasn't there, wouldn't it?

Then how, would that option cause a bug?

Last edited:

jkweath

Goes Fast
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm excited, but one thing I'm concerned about is that a certain programmer whose plugins 100% of MV developers use won't be around to improve the engine and implement the QoL improvements we're used to.

I hope that either someone is up for taking Yanfly's mantle or the engine comes out with more polish and features than MV did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)

• Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

His tracks are always so wonderful.
    In a narrative Choose Your Own Adventure-style RPG, do you prefer the narrative to be in 2nd person ("you saw", "you thought"), or 3rd person ("he saw", "he thought")?

What's your preference, and why?
    So I have been wondering, if a scientist had to fight mano-a-mano, what kind of weapon he could use besides guns, injecting himself with Super Drug X, and piloting Mecha 13th?
    3 hours of trying to figure out why my world creator was respawning stuff I wanted spliced out... Only to discover I foolishly trying to splice an object and not it's array position. *facepalms * Oh well at least some good came out of it, I remembered how much fun it is to squish Yanpi. :LZSexcite:
    Since I have seen a few thing on MZ I can now tell that it will not be a disappointment. Seems like we got a product that kinda justifies its price to be honest. And you know I am hard to please and always honest.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lisarosy