A Noob's Questions About FSM?

Discussion in 'Product Discussion and Support' started by Roseredpinball, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Roseredpinball

Roseredpinball Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hello all, I apologize if this question has been asked before but, what, exactly, IS First Seed Material (FSM)? I've been an RPG Maker VX Ace user for awhile but I guess I must've missed the FSM train because by the time I learned of First Seed Material the website and all its stuff were already gone. I know a little bit about it from what I've read on the internet, but I was hoping somebody might be able to clarify it further for me. From what I've heard so far about FSM, it sounds almost mythological, haha. Like an urban legend! I want to give proper credit, also, because I have seen some FSM materials floating around the inter-web but I don't know if they've all been properly credited. Moreover, I have heard some rumor about us not being allowed to use FSM material anymore? Does this mean that, even if I do properly credit them, I can't use FSM resources any longer?

Also, I'm very confused about REFMAP and FSM. Is REFMAP and FSM the same thing? Who made FSM, anyway? Is FSM the name of the website where the material was hosted or the person who created said resources? I've also heard that Mack is connected with FSM. Is all of Mack's stuff FSM or just some of it? Is Mack one of the creators who contributed to FSM? From what it sounds like, it seems FSM is a collaborative effort by multiple creators? Why was it taken down? Are we still allowed to use FSM materials? If I see something that was based off of FSM can I still use it so long as I credit FSM, too? Sorry for all the questions, but I would like to get to the bottom of this and maybe shine a light on this mysterious REFMAP/FSM! Thanks so much to anyone who takes the time to answer my questions, even if it's just one of them!

2. Kupotepo

Kupotepo Fantasy realist Veteran

First Language:
    Thai
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Roseredpinball, I think you can use First Seed Material (FSM) if you buy the tilesets license and resize from MV to VX Ace. However, I have learned that you can REFMAP 2003 use with fishy warning:https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/inde...rpg-maker-2000-sets-edited-by-beliziam.71712/. I think it is a good idea to buy RPG MAKER 2000 if you use the sets.
    No matter you buy or it is free credits others, it is never a bad idea.
    http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/a/rpg-maker-mv-tileset/fsm-town-of-beginnings-tiles

3. hiddenone

hiddenone Lurker Extraordinaire Moderator

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

I've moved this thread to Product Discussion and Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

4. Roseredpinball

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Oops, sorry! I didn't realize, thanks!

5. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I missed the whole FSM site thing too, so this has had me a bit confused as well. From what I understand, FSM is a group of japanese artists, and you credit the group as a whole, not the individuals. They're like a manga circle maybe? They've come out with their own set of resources for every PC maker (except Ace?), stuff that replaces the entire RTP tileset with something new and then some. They went silent after their site went down, and everyone thought the group was dead until the FSM for MV came out. They might have been among the people who got back into RM due to the MV hype. The resources for MV is for sale, but the other sets were released freely. I think REFMAP is an initiative to make things in a set style, so I guess 2k3 art made in the FSM art style even made now would be REFMAP? Just my best guess. Anyway, I'm no expert, but maybe I can get you a little closer to getting it too.

EDIT: I think I've mixed up the usage of REFMAP and FSM. Which would make FSM the style and REFMAP the art group.

Marquise* likes this.
  6. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    To clarify, they went from Mack and Blue -> REFMAP -> First Seed Material by the end. But there is a distinction.

REFMAP = the artist group.
    First Seed Material = "what they call their RTP"

REFMAP disbanded, but the name FSM is what stuck. From what I can see, they still call themselves REFMAP?

First Seed Material had always been open to all engines.
    This is their current website: http://refmap.wixsite.com/fsm-material/about

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    Roseredpinball and Marquise* like this.
  7. Kupotepo

Kupotepo Fantasy realist Veteran

First Language:
    Thai
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Archeia, what is super weird because FSM is phished as an author on steam is Degica. However, the website, you are linked is Japanese. Do you think google translation would help?

8. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    The name REFMAP and FSM is interchangeable so it doesn't really matter.

Kupotepo likes this.
  9. Roseredpinball

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hmm, I see! Alright, thank you, this explanation helps a lot! Haha, someone ought to make a sticky post explaining REFMAP/FSM for newcomers! FSM is an important part, in some ways, of rpgmaker vx ace's history. It'd be nice if we had a rpgmaker creator wiki for stuff like this, don't you think so? Anyway, thanks again! Glad I'm not the only one out of the loop! XD

10. Roseredpinball

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Oh, okay, thanks!

11. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

Roseredpinball, please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

If you want to add something to a post, use the Edit button. If you want to quote more than one person, use the Multiquote button, otherwise the forum software will start a new post for every quote you use.