Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Brucie GTA IV.png

Today we have to talk about positivity. And I don't mean "accept your body as it is", that's a load of nonsense. I'm talking about Positive Energy in terms of psychology, in terms of remembering your best moments, your best friends encouraging you, online random users telling you on how to improve your skills...

I'm one of the hundreds and probably thousands around here on this forum that in these moments of the event that I'm locked in my bedroom trying to work on my project... all the while my parents put the TV with the news, constantly watching and hearing that how many people died from this event, how many cases from this event, if someone murdered someone... I completely understand that they like staying informed about the issues, and I like staying informed about issues that I'm interested in.

But the thing is they put the TV, with a very high volume so my brother and I hear it even if we don't want to, from 7:20 AM to around 11:00 PM. Constantly. Every. Single. Day. As you can tell, if you are an user that works better in silence in solitude in your own space you can imagine this might not the best stay at home experience. I'm not gonna spend too much time on my anecdotes because that's not the point of this thread.

The point is there are probably users with negative energy already filled in their minds that it becomes corrosive to their souls thanks to external events outside their control and if it's not fixed in time, it becomes permanent. It's not going to be enough making your games as your emotional push to keep going, you need to do something else or cope it with another mechanism, like staying all night while you're working on your project while drinking an energy drink (which I highly don't recommend). They may alleviate the problem, but make no mistake: alleviating a problem and solving a problem are two different things.

If hearing constantly negative messages, bad news, horrible events is getting to you, maybe we can spin the pendulum the other way by the same rules.

You're probably wondering who the heck is this guy above. He's a fictional character from a videogame from more than a decade ago, Grand Theft Auto IV named Brucie.

Brucie, for starters, is an idiot, but he's extremely optimistic and every time he speaks to Niko, the main character you play as, it feels like he's the big distant cousin who is always happy to see you once every year and tells you the good things and anecdotes. He prefers to tell you these topics in person rather than writing you in social media because it feels more authentic talking face to face.

I'm going to link a few videos to show you how Brucie behaves (warninga, they contain strong language):

How, exactly, Brucie can spread those good vibes? By telling Niko that they are winners, that they have a shared vision, that they are capable to defeat any obstacle to reach their goals, that they are the Number One...

Given the warm welcome I received since I ever joined to this community, I think I should show gratitude and give some love back in exchange by simply suggesting the following.

I strongly encourage spreading positive messages as much as you can whenever you are able to do so.

Believe it or not, RPG Maker, from the very beginning supplied noobs and experts the skills and tools needed to make any game and even if there are silly games, the talent from the developers is growing, and so the passion. The niche of creating RPG games in this medium grew and thus formed a wonderful community which I arrive very late to the party and still feel gratitude to belong to this community.

You can make any game you want, and even if I used to belong a group making a RPG Maker XP game many years ago I still had a growing interest in what it is like to develop a game with this program. And that's not all. The community is still growing strong thanks to the countless tutorials made by almost everyone who ever interacted with RPG Maker in one way or another. Tutorials are probably the best factor I can count when it comes to motivation to create a game in my case. And there are artists of many disciplines: animators, illustrators, musicians... showing their passion in their threads.

I can see a bright future for the RPG Maker community in the next few years. Maybe we'll see a really good game one day that will be as good and memetic as Undertale or To The Moon? I don't claim to have the magical ball to see the future, but I prefer to stay optimistic and keep my head up.

Edit: I've checked my local database of motivational speeches, and interestingly enough I found a common theme that is hit the gym. Being physically fit is important: you live longer, you are physically more attractive, you have more energy, you are more capable... But the most important reason of it that nobody speaks is after you sculpted the body of your dreams -or hell, even if you manage to do 20 or even 10 push-ups on the floor of your bedroom- you can sit back like God on his seventh day and say "I did it. Me with all my problems, inadequacies, my imperfections... I managed to do this thing and it's something to be proud of." Become a better version of you. Because even if you manage in doing exercise (and not limiting to exercise, it could be your RPG Maker game, your art, your writing, programming, etc...), it's still considered a progress. Celebrate your progress however you desire. Go work on something. I believe in you. You can do it.

How about you, folks? Do you have a positive message to share?

Last edited:

RomVHS

NPC
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
I heard this from the professor of one of my courses... when learning, don't compare yourself to your peers, but how far you've come since you've started.

Pat yourself on the back sometimes, it's always well deserved. When you feel like you're dumb or incompetent for not getting something right or creating a masterpiece, remember that you've come far since starting at ground zero. You might not know all that you wish to know at the moment, so take on a bite-size of your project, and don't be afraid to ask for help. Just because you can't do something completely on your own, doesn't mean you're a fraud. Sharing and receiving knowledge is the best!

P.S. Thanks a lot for the positivity, 48Tentacles!

ZachSkeling

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hello!!! I'm new, and pinky is right, thanks for the positivity smile girl

48Tentacles

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I heard this from the professor of one of my courses... when learning, don't compare yourself to your peers, but how far you've come since you've started.

Pat yourself on the back sometimes, it's always well deserved. When you feel like you're dumb or incompetent for not getting something right or creating a masterpiece, remember that you've come far since starting at ground zero. You might not know all that you wish to know at the moment, so take on a bite-size of your project, and don't be afraid to ask for help. Just because you can't do something completely on your own, doesn't mean you're a fraud. Sharing and receiving knowledge is the best!

P.S. Thanks a lot for the positivity, 48Tentacles!
That's true. You have to compare yourself to the you of yesterday.

I'd like to compress in what you said in your paragraph into one single phrase: "We're in this together." Every time I asked for help I always received the needed help. I asked about GENE one or two times and I received replies and that's something that I, again, feel gratitude for.

Glad I could help!
Hello!!! I'm new, and pinky is right, thanks for the positivity smile girl
You're welcome. Keep your head up and go forward.

Darth Equus

I *HATE* Parallax Mapping.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVX
Become a better version of you. Because even if you manage in doing exercise (and not limiting to exercise, it could be your RPG Maker game, your art, your writing, programming, etc...), it's still considered a progress. Celebrate your progress however you desire. Go work on something. I believe in you. You can do it.

OMG. This, so much. I had read something similar on a thread about a guy who was in therapy and taking medication to treat his chronic depression, and he said that something that helped him was to take solace in the little successes. He'd mention that one day he'd say "I cleaned the kitchen in a single swoop, so that's good." Another day he'd tell to himself: "I didn't have an argument with anyone at work, so that's good." And another day "Traffic was easy today on the way back home, so that's good."

And so on, and so forth. Heck, even failures can teach us something valuable, so it's important to keep at it.

Thanks for this post, 48Tentacles. It put a smile on my face.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

It seems that I have to change the order with which I make the fantasy games on my bucket list, because the intended title is used as a story element in the first two games in the line, and somebody else might take the title for their own game because the term uses real words. I can't risk going over the apparent three year limit for registering trademark ahead of time.
I am interested in collaborations so if you like my art, hit up my messages! :wub
unknown.png

Making good progress with the second chapter. :)

Still work in progress.

(Real life, it is chronically the fourth chapter that I am making.)
constructionworkconcept.pngezgif-2-0acb620ecf8d.gifezgif-2-afeaf16ebb8d.gif "The Great Wall is great. But, most people can only be the slaves who built it, leaving their bones underneath that wall. They spent their whole life to build that wall and the empire, an empire that enslaves them." :kaoswt2: I'm just going to turn it into a modern-day sad tale.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShadyBrain_Entertainment