A proper transition between a sheet battler and Battle Animation battler

Discussion in 'RPG Maker 2000/2003' started by Benny Jackdaw, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Benny Jackdaw

Benny Jackdaw Ratty! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    Edit: put my animations in spoilers because fatfurs aren't for everyone, and the character might come off as off-putting to some.

I have another question. I am still wondering whether I should go back to making that stupid earthquake Warriors game, when yesterday I realized something. When creating the Gordo Grande forms, I was using a standard sheet using cells for the face of each character with the rest of the body as a background. Something like this...

[​IMG]

Just recently, however, I realized that RPG Maker 2003 was capable of huge fully animated Sprites bye switching the Sprite sheet animations with battle animations like this.

[​IMG]

...not sure about the pointing. It's supposed to be hammy, but the character might already come off as gross, and I am worried this might turn even more people off.

I'm not set on doing it this way yet. On one hand it might make the game more fun because the giant character animations can be more fluid, diverse, and satisfying to watch, but on the other hand it would also mean more work. Since I am still trying to recover from an injury that I'll probably never fully recover from, I'm not sure I want to go that far.

However, if I do, then I run into a problem. When it character transforms, the screen goes black, you hear loud stepping noises, and then the giant Gordo Grande character appears with a flash. No issue arises when it's a she animation transforming into another sheet animation, but when transforming into a battle animation, the battle animation appears on screen before the Flash is over. I am wondering what the best way to get around this is.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018