Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hmm, maybe someone will know this.

Okay. I was born on February 6th, 1989. According to the Chinese zodiac, 1989 was the year of the snake. BUT! The date of the Chinese new year actually varies, anywhere from the end of January even to late February, if I recall correctly. So if my birthday in 1989 took place before the Chinese new year, then by the standards of the Chinese calendar, it would have technically been in 1988, which was the year of the dragon.

Personally, I feel that I encompass traits from both signs. But it would be kinda nice to know for sure...

Anyone here knowledgeable about this?

sabao

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The eve of a new Chinese year is usually marked by a new moon, if I remember right. If you were born before that, then you're more likely a Dragon than a Snake. A quick check of your birth date here which cross checks your birth date and time to the Chinese calendar confirms as much.

Last edited by a moderator:

Solo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Wow, the description for the Dragon fits me so well it's almost scary. I never really considered myself a dominant person, but I do prefer to work alone.

I didn't find anything about the new moon at that time, though...

It's funny they should mention headaches; I've got an underlying one right now! :o

Thanks, Sabao! So does this mean I really am a Dragon, then?

sabao

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The interwebs doesn't lie, I suppose? I used to eat this stuff up before, but I found later on that what they say I am isn't who I wanted to be.

Solo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I used to eat this stuff up before, but I found later on that what they say I am isn't who I wanted to be.
And the great thing about that is that YOU control your destiny and can be who you want to be.

I don't really follow astrology, I just find the descriptions of the signs interesting. They seem to relate to people I know (and even characters I've created) so well. Personally, I identify with my (western) sign, Aquarius, in a big way. When I discovered that, it gave me a new passion for who I am, and I became more excited than ever to chase my dreams.

EDIT: ...Oh my word, guess what I just found out. Apparently, the Chinese new year in 1989 was ON February 6th.

Now, that either means I'm really a Snake, OR... if we can nail down the exact TIME of the threshold... unless it's just sunrise or the actual date rollover or something like that.

I wonder if the "cusp" principle applies (wherein someone born near an astrological threshold will have prominent traits from both signs)... it really does seem that way.

hian

Biggest Boss
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
The reason astrology always seems to fit is because they're written using Barnum Statements(wiki it), which essentially don't really say anything of substance that could easily fit to anyone.

The rest is projections of fear and desires from the reader.

It's basic psychology.

Scientific testing shows that if you pass the exact same description to a room full of people, but under different zodiac headings, the majority of people will still think it applies to them quite well.

Humans are gullible and over-analytical.

There is a wealth of videos on youtube of people abusing the system for great effect to demonstrate how cynically vapid it is - the most entertaining one being Derren Brown.

Frostyfirefly

Seeker of the Weird
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
This could also be similar to the western astrology concept of cusps, or born between signs. 

Usually, there is a dominant sign, perhaps yours is the Dragon.

Astrology as presented in the tabloids, zines, etc., as Hian said, is very generalized and almost completely subjected to your own views and interepretation of the world, it's all in your mind. But then again, the mind is a very powerful thing, as the old saying goes "know yourself, and you will know the universe and the gods".

A complete astrological or natal chart needs to be calculated, otherwise, there is too much ambigüity and uncertainty in the subject. 

Solo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hian: That's an interesting way of looking at it. Still, I think people should be able to believe what they want to believe.

Astrology as presented in the tabloids, zines, etc., as Hian said, is very generalized and almost completely subjected to your own views and interepretation of the world, it's all in your mind. But then again, the mind is a very powerful thing, as the old saying goes "know yourself, and you will know the universe and the gods".
Ayup. ;)  We create our own reality. If we want something to have significance, it will, and as long as our beliefs enrich and empower us, that's all that matters.

Like I said, I don't actually follow astrology, I'm just fascinated by the basic principles of it.

hian

Biggest Boss
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
People are allowed to believe what they want, whether it's in Christianity, Hinduism, or astrology - criticising or commenting on that belief however, does not infringe on that right. Just sayin' -

I think the point to be aware of though, is that while the people who made astrological predictions back in the day, most often believed in what they were saying - astrology today is a multi-million dollar industry that demonstrably operates in rather shady ways(like representing predictions under different headings etc).

Beliefs inform behavior, and beliefs can either be accurate reflections of reality, or inaccurate reflections of reality.

I don't think anyone gains from having a belief system bolstered from criticism - certainly not one that tries to convince people that the planet's and star's alignments somehow have an impact on personality and future events.

I mean, think about it - why would they?

Frostyfirefly

Seeker of the Weird
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
I mean, think about it - why would they?
According to astrology, the 7 closest planets send out subtle currents of energy that cannot be measured or detected by scientific means, and according to their alignment and position, their influence affects behavior patterns in humans, animals, changes different mineral and plant structures, etc.

For example, the influence of the Moon over the sea tides and people's behaviour: in some countries, policemen are always on the lookout for extra trouble when there is a full moon, people are believed to act a bit nuttier during that time.

I think astrology still exists today because many people do not consider it a belief system, but a methodic system to take advantage of hard to perceive principles. 

Solo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I think the point to be aware of though, is that while the people who made astrological predictions back in the day, most often believed in what they were saying - astrology today is a multi-million dollar industry that demonstrably operates in rather shady ways(like representing predictions under different headings etc).
I understand what you mean. It's unfortunate how people are taken advantage of.

However, we're all entitled to our own beliefs. I would rather not argue about it... this topic served its purpose almost a month ago anyway; I would hate for it to be resurrected and twisted into something nasty.

hian

Biggest Boss
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
According to astrology, the 7 closest planets send out subtle currents of energy that cannot be measured or detected by scientific means, and according to their alignment and position, their influence affects behavior patterns in humans, animals, changes different mineral and plant structures, etc.

For example, the influence of the Moon over the sea tides and people's behaviour: in some countries, policemen are always on the lookout for extra trouble when there is a full moon, people are believed to act a bit nuttier during that time.

I think astrology still exists today because many people do not consider it a belief system, but a methodic system to take advantage of hard to perceive principles.
The question is then, how would you justify that proposition?

If this energy cannot be detected by science, then how did anyone detect it to begin with?

What makes that proposition different from an empty assertion?

I understand what you mean. It's unfortunate how people are taken advantage of.

However, we're all entitled to our own beliefs. I would rather not argue about it... this topic served its purpose almost a month ago anyway; I would hate for it to be resurrected and twisted into something nasty.
And as I said, me making a comment about a belief does not take away your, or anyone else's right to have it.

My three posts aren't denying people the right to think for themselves. I think you're subconsciously confusing the right to free belief, and conflating it with the right to express a belief without anyone saying anything about it - that however, is not a right.

I also don't think you should conflate an exchange of opinions to something "nasty". Discussions and exchanges of opinions are healthy for you.

Non of us are swearing at eachother or calling eachother names, or belittling one another, and I don't plan on doing that either.

I'll respect your wish, and leave the thread alone though.

Solo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'll respect your wish, and leave the thread alone though.
Thank you.

Someone please lock this topic. It has served its purpose.

Frostyfirefly

Seeker of the Weird
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
The question is then, how would you justify that proposition?

If this energy cannot be detected by science, then how did anyone detect it to begin with?

What makes that proposition different from an empty assertion?
Supposedly, by applying the principles, trial an error in other words. For example, business men that use astrology will always try to close a deal at certain hours and certain days, because they keep a record that shows that most successful deals were carried out at that time and day (when this or that planet enters this or that house, aligned with who knows what, etc.) And of course, they will not share those records or data, because business is like war, those records supposedly represent the secret to their success.

That energy was detected by all that ESP menagerie, astral proyection, second sight, meditation, etc.

I think that, according to them, that's what makes it different. By the way, I'm just giving you data you may further use in your arguments and ponderings, I'm not trying to prove a point or anything, I hope it doesn't appear I am trying to.

Edit: Yes, I'm up for the lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I'm really tempting to pre order cyberpunk 2077... should I do it or not :/ I really want to play the game but don't want to take a big hit to my saving because of it
So I need to come up with quite a few action sequences.
Was stressing about this plugin earlier, but pretty happy with how its looking now! Purple makes it pop more too!! :)
A friend requested me to do a pfp for his twitch channel, so far he approved one of my sketches, so going to digital now. The style he's looking for is quite different from my usual, hopefully I can get it right... :kaoback:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ssven10k