Simalono

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hello,

So I am pretty new to the RPG maker scene and I have been working on a game for a project to dump my music and time into. Since I need to work on my new media skills in art I have been using photoshop to create all my sprites and tiles. Most issues I have had I can find the answer to. Anyway, So hopefully I am attaching the photo correctly so you can see what I am having an issue with.

For my building (straw hut thing) I didn't make it fully 32 pixels for every tile, I left it transparent so it has some room for my roof to stick out making a shadow on the lower have more realistic. The part that's transparent is just showing the parallex background and every tile around the hut (in the building tile slot) is breaking up the grass as if it was its own island. (Notice the sand around it.) So do I need to fill up the entire tile or am I doing something wrong? Because if I just put the building in a different slot it doesn't spread out like its supposed to. It will repeat the same image. Even if I fill the transparency why is my grass breaking up?

Please reply if you have any information that might help me! 

Thank you in advance and for taking time to read into my problem.

Simalono

x

HeLp!.png

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You need to post a screenshot of your tileset so we can check it for errors, but basically you placed the tilesheets in the wrong slots.

There are six different tilesheet formats (A1 to A5, and the sixth format for B to E slots), each slot has a different function and you can't simply place them in the wrong slote as that will break the tilesheets.

Also, you need to learn about shift-click-mapping.

I suggest you follow the link in my signature to the basic tutorials to learn more about how mapping and tilesets work.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm assuming by "spread out" that you have this as an autotile. Autotiles are on A, which will replace other A tiles (the grass) instead of cover them.

You either need to put your house pieces in a B-E sheet, or fix the autotile so that it fills the full 32x32 space.

Soul

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The parallax part I can't really help you with, but what's going on with the sand isn't something you did wrong as far as I'm familiar with. When using certain tiles in the RTP, the same effect with the sand you've come across does happen. All you gotta do is just follow this tutorial to fix it to look how you want: http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/14387-shiftclick-mapping/

I mean, for the parallax, you could leave it blank until it's needed to be shown. Can change it via an event set to below character, activated via player touch. The option is on page 3 of the event command listing, under map. You'd still have a problem with the empty space, though. You may just be better off making the house tiles into Tiles for B, C, etc.

Simalono

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Alright so thank you to everyone who helped. Yeah in order to get the look I was going for I will have to fill a full 32x32 tile in order for it to correctly autotile. It was definitely what I mean't when I said "spread-out." Also really if I want to fix the sand borders I could indeed move the tileset to B-E but yeah I really wanted to make the building via autotile. The best solution I think is to just create another grass tile with no sand and fill in the area around the house or just leave the sand borders for a nice sandy effect. :o I'm really experimenting with all the tilesets using the defaults as examples for how it should be formatted.

So comes down to it I really should experiment more before I ask questions. I do appreciate the tutorials on shift-click mapping. It helps out but it wasn't exactly what I was looking for. It was nice to have a quick response. Thanks Again!

Simalono

I just threw some quick sprites together just to show what I did so far. Haha it is very crude and a long work in progress. I just love animating sprites though. Definitely will have to touch up my shabby shack more but you get the idea.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Also really if I want to fix the sand borders I could indeed move the tileset to B-E but yeah I really wanted to make the building via autotile. The best solution I think is to just create another grass tile with no sand and fill in the area around the house or just leave the sand borders for a nice sandy effect. :o I'm really experimenting with all the tilesets using the defaults as examples for how it should be formatted.
Wrong - you'll need to use shift-click mapping to place the building without the sand border, absolutely no need to move the buildings to B-E or make a different autotile - the one with the sand borders can be used without the borders.
I suggest you to look for one of the tutorials on shift-click mapping (one is linked in my starting point topic, follow the link in my signature).

It's almost impossible to understand how autotiles work if you don't understand the shift-click differences when placing autotiles.

Last edited by a moderator:

Soul

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Alright so thank you to everyone who helped. Yeah in order to get the look I was going for I will have to fill a full 32x32 tile in order for it to correctly autotile. It was definitely what I mean't when I said "spread-out." Also really if I want to fix the sand borders I could indeed move the tileset to B-E but yeah I really wanted to make the building via autotile. The best solution I think is to just create another grass tile with no sand and fill in the area around the house or just leave the sand borders for a nice sandy effect. :o I'm really experimenting with all the tilesets using the defaults as examples for how it should be formatted.
;)  Or go to where I originally linked to for a tutorial, as it is the way that is built-in to the software to fix the auto-tile issue (the method pointed out by Andar): http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/14387-shiftclick-mapping/

Simalono

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The original question was if I needed to fill the full 32 pixels to fix the issue I was having about the transparency. I'm still figuring out shift-click mapping, I have the tutorial, and I am still learning from it. So you can't say I am wrong when I thanked everyone for the help, fixed the immediate issue, and went back to experimenting with shift click mapping. I was merely suggesting my other options, thanks for the help!  :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders is finally being ported to PC. I loved playing that game on the original Xbox.
A friend told me to stop making nomnom or gulping noise when eating or drinking. Plot twist of my life. I thought people can't hear that!
Inside you are two wolves. They take in oxygen while getting rid of the Co2 gas in your body...
Ah wait, sorry. Lungs. Not wolves. that'd be silly. Wolves are huge. You probably couldnt even fit one wolf inside you.
Tag: hack and slash | gameplay: point and click. Me: "How tf two are related to each other?"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DysonY