Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
(I'm sorry if this isn't the correct forum to post this question, I wasn't sure where to ask this.)
Is it possible to make a nice-looking RPG Maker game using mostly the tiles the program comes with? I don't have much in way of resources or artistic ability, so I feel I'll have to rely on them more often than not. But I also know some people automatically look down on games that use a lot of default tiles, which makes me feel nervous. Are there any tips on building nice maps with the default tile sets?

eluukkanen

Game Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hmm, a hard question. There are clever ways I have seen normal RTP resources used, but there are limitations of course how far they go.

I would say yes and no. You can try and have success, but many can by looking your came just say "Oh, he did just use the resources that came from rpg maker itself" and dismiss your game completely.

Reactions: Bex

Darth Equus

I *HATE* Parallax Mapping.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVX
Aren't there edits out there that are free to use in non-commercial games?

Bex

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You are absolutly fine using the default Resources.
If you want to make a commercial Game, than its still possible
but you get judged by other standards. But even if you make a commercial Game and you plan on using completely own Resources,
than creating a quick Prototype Game with standard Resources is still very helpfull and fast forward, you exchange the Graphics and make the Maps prettier later on.
I assume it also depends on the target Audience you want to reach.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
as said, it is absolutely possible.

The problem is that each game needs its "identity" to be known on its own.
A lot of games get identify by using their own resources - if you use the default, you'll need something else to make your game recognisable if you ever want to go commercial.
Finding that "something else" is more difficult, but possible - and you have to be more carefull with the quality of your default maps.
Because there are too many crappy games out there that have nothing but bad quality maps, and you need to make sure that people play your game long enough to find its specials instead of abandoning it after two bad maps.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Okay so today I heard the dumbest theory I have heard in a loooooooong while. It's so stupid I just have to share... Appearantly I have learned to draw 'hot chicks' so that 'real men' get physically excited by looking at it and I can then swoop in and 'turn' them.... Wow... Just... Amazing how some brains works...
What the writer wrote: "The curtain is blue."
The readers: "There must be a hidden meaning behind this, perhaps to convey the character emotions ...".
What the writer has in mind: "The curtain is frickin' blue".
Time to share something!
hmZFwQe.png

I made these a while ago for my game. I took reference from various huts in Africa.
Have a great night! :D
I really need to buy a new mouse. Mine's keeps double-clicking and makes me waste A LOT of time eventing
How come there's no spooktober game jam? I thought horror maker games were some of the most popular genre out there...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Florian973